Sign in to follow this  
thorn

New Oddworld Games On The Way

http://www.jawltd.com/?p=546

It’s with a huge amount of pride that we can announce that for the past 12 months we have been working extremely closely with the fantastic people at Oddworld Inhabitants, from what started off as brief discussions in June 2009, to now working on multiple projects, across multiple platforms.

Whilst we cannot go into specifics right now, we can tell you that over the coming weeks and months we will be announcing these exciting projects starring all of your favourite Oddworld characters.

“To work with the team at Oddworld has been amazing; being able to tap the minds of Lorne Lanning, Sherry McKenna and others has been fantastic,” said Just Add Water’s Managing Director Stewart Gilray.

“It’s almost symbiotic in that when something moves forward on any of the projects we just start chatting about new items, or what if we do this,” Gilray continued. “We’re all extremely excited to breathe life into the Oddworld universe and indeed to let it breathe life into us.”

Why not follow that loveable Mudokon, Abe on Twitter at twitter.com/abemudokon.

I only ever managed to play either of the first two Oddworld games on the PS1 in demo form, but I recall the shoulder button "dialogue" system being a lot of fun. Much luck to them, a resurgence sounds like it could be a really neat thing.

It's really weird and amusing now that marketing has to have a person to "man the twitter feed" and actually pay attention to it, making all kinds of inane @replies to people in the community poking at it...

Ooh, this reminds me of that thread where I said I would actually finish those games. Now I'm actually going to.

I only ever managed to play either of the first two Oddworld games on the PS1 in demo form, but I recall the shoulder button "dialogue" system being a lot of fun. Much luck to them, a resurgence sounds like it could be a really neat thing.

It's really weird and amusing now that marketing has to have a person to "man the twitter feed" and actually pay attention to it, making all kinds of inane @replies to people in the community poking at it...

I played Abe's Oddysee on PC and Abe's Exodus on PS1. The shoulder button based system worked, but was kind of awkward. The PC version has dialog on the number keys, which worked much better.

If you haven't played them yet, they are like $6 each on GOG.com. (I keep meaning to pick them up again myself, but I keep putting off in favor of stuff I haven't played yet.)

AHHH I'VE BEEN WAITING FOREVER!

COME ON NOW LORNE! STOP PROMISING THINGS THAT NEVER HAPPEN!

Or... is this it?

Edited by syntheticgerbil

If you haven't played them yet, they are like $6 each on GOG.com. (I keep meaning to pick them up again myself, but I keep putting off in favor of stuff I haven't played yet.)
I wouldn't suggest buying them just yet as they're soon going to be releasing the Oddbox on Steam, which will have both Abe games, Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath. Also acheivements added in.

I wouldn't suggest buying them just yet as they're soon going to be releasing the Oddbox on Steam, which will have both Abe games, Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath. Also acheivements added in.

Which were both console only things? Hold the phone?! Are you kidding me? Finally, my collection (of severed human torsos!) will be complete!

Yeah, I'm so psyched for Stranger's Wrath PC. I never finished it. It was the last game I got on Xbox, and when the 360 wouldn't play it, I was completely gutted.

Yeah, I'm so psyched for Stranger's Wrath PC. I never finished it. It was the last game I got on Xbox, and when the 360 wouldn't play it, I was completely gutted.

This, I got to the very end and didn't finish it.

This, except I picked it up after my original Xbox died at the point in time when there was still hope that Microsoft would make everything backwards compatible through regular software updates.

Which were both console only things? Hold the phone?! Are you kidding me? Finally, my collection (of severed human torsos!) will be complete!
Yup, it's been confirmed that it will definately come out this year.

Oooooo... I'll keep an eye out for that!

The only Oddworld game I ever played was the most recent one, Stranger's Wrath, and I thought it was really good. Hopefully whatever game is made next is as creative as Stranger's Wrath. That is what I enjoy the most about Oddworld games: love em or hate em you can never say they arent creative games.

It's a remake of Stranger's Wrath for PS3. It looks to me to be simply a graphical upgrade and control rejig for Move. Possibly more, but time will tell on that.

http://www.jawltd.com/?p=574

OTLEY, WEST YORKSHIRE, UK – 3rd September, 2010 – Just Add Water (JAW) is thrilled to announce the return of the critically-acclaimed Oddworld series – with an enhanced remake of the award-winning Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath coming to PlayStation®3 next Easter.

Originally released in 2005, first- and third-person action-adventure Stranger’s Wrath marks the multi-million-selling series’ first appearance on a PlayStation® console since 1998’s Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus. The game will be made available as a digital download via PlayStation® Network.

Stewart Gilray, Managing Director of JAW, said: “Since word got out that we’ve been working with Oddworld Inhabitants there have been many rumours circulating about what we’re working on. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath is the first project in what we believe will be a long and fruitful relationship. Having the chance to update this great title and release it on PS3 is just a brilliant opportunity, not least for us, but for the fans too.”

JAW has worked closely with Oddworld founders Lorne Lanning and Sherry McKenna to ensure the remake is faithful to the original moolah-chasing epic, while offering a raft of enhancements, including: stunning 720p visuals; much more detail in the characters; normal mapping and self-shadowing; re-mastered dialogue, support for PlayStation®Move; and additional bonus material still to be revealed.

In Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath, players step into the role of the Stranger, a rough and tumble bounty hunter who tracks down outlaws for moolah. Using a special weapons system that gives a whole new meaning to “live” ammo, players encounter deviant species and hostile challenges along the way.

The 2005 original has a Metacritic rating of 88, was nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Animation at the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences’ Interactive Achievement Awards, and received numerous awards from the gaming press.

[ABOUT JAW] Boasting over 100 years’ combined development experience, from handheld projects all the way to multi-format AAA titles, the JAW team’s portfolio includes releases such as: Pinball Fantasies, Spec Ops, PowerMonger, Synnergist and Soldier of Fortune. The studio’s most recent release was the well-received PSN retro-shooter Gravity Crash.

It's a remake of Stranger's Wrath for PS3. It looks to me to be simply a graphical upgrade and control rejig for Move. Possibly more, but time will tell on that.

http://www.jawltd.com/?p=574

I wonder if this version (with appropriate controls) will be released on Steam. The game doesn't need anything added to it, except maybe new textures, it's fantastic as it is.

I remember loving everything about Strangers wrath except the gameplay. The movement and sound was neat, world was cool, the 3rd/1st person thing didn't win me over.

Will check out the ps3 one probably.

Seriously? That's it? A remake for Stranger's Wrath? Are they testing the waters?

Truthfully, though this is good news to me, since as an Oddworld fan I have never finished Stranger's Wrath. I bought it and started it long ago when I was first starting college and it got lost in the fray. I've just been concentrating on other games since.

A remake on PS3 would be a good excuse to play it.

I wonder if this version (with appropriate controls) will be released on Steam. The game doesn't need anything added to it, except maybe new textures, it's fantastic as it is.
OWI have been working on the PC version for a while, but it's another company doing that port. Stewart Gilray, the CEO of JAW, has made it clear they're not involved in the Oddbox (which is the name they've given to the Steam package of the two Abe games, Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath).

Well as long as it's actually happening at some point, I'll be happy. I had already traded in my Xbox copy in preparation a few months back.