Sign in to follow this  
thorn

New Oddworld Games On The Way

TOMOROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

I am almost giddy.

I'd suggest holding off from downloading for a few days as it seems they're both a little buggy atm.

Munch update has already been submitted to Steam and might be available for download already. The bug in Stranger has been identified and they're working on fixing it soon.

There are various other non-game breaking quibbles that people have had (mainly to do with inflexible graphics options and non-assignable controls, both of which related to them being console ports done by people not used to PC gaming) and JAW has promised to fix them in the new year.

Played through the opening section of Stranger's Wrath. It's not that it's buggy that really bothers me. Sure, they can fix that shit. I didn't have any framerate issues, and everything seemed fairly stable for me. The only thing that was an issue was that if I tried to set the graphics above "medium" from the boot window, in would show me a developer logo and then crash to desktop. Playing on medium visuals works ok though. What bothers me is how goddamned lazy the port is. First warning sign came when a PC game released in 20-fucking-10 didn't have a widescreen option. Then came the fact that entering my name required MOVING THE ARROW KEYS AROUND A VIRTUAL KEYBOARD AND PICKING LETTERS WITH THE ENTER KEY. That makes so much more sense than, y'know, actually typing my goddamned name in. Hell, even clicking letters with the mouse would have been better. Seriously, what the fuck? There's all sorts of little things like that scattered through what I've played so far. It's really bumming me out considering how much I liked SW on the Xbox and how long I'd been waiting for the chance to play it without having to hunt around and hook up my old machine. I feel especially shitty for those for whom this is their first experience with the game. It really was great, trust me. And maybe it will be again. It will just take a shitload of patching and tweaks to the options from the developer.

*Rant du Miffy*

I can't necessarily disagree with you that those things are problems, but if I'm honest, my only real concern is the framerate. If they fix that, I don't really have any problems with it being a shitty console port.

(Other than the bolomites. Arachnophobia and them don't get along.)

The only thing that was an issue was that if I tried to set the graphics above "medium" from the boot window, in would show me a developer logo and then crash to desktop.

Just incase you've not sorted this:

Go to C: \Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\stranger's wrath

Open config.txt

width=1920 (or whatever you want)

height=1080 (same again)

fullscreen

resolution=custom

That's kind of why the laziness pisses me off so much. The actual game is still wonderful. Having live animals serve as ammunition, and actually having to HUNT the buggers when you run out, is one of my favorite game conceits ever. Ammo crates just seemed so lazy after I played a bit of this game. Shooting a living spider from my crossbow and having it wrap my target in webs so that I can capture them alive is so much more fun than firing generic tranquilizer dart A into generic security guard B, even though mechanically it's pretty much the same thing. Stranger's Wrath is a wonderful fucking game. I just wish I could run it without ugly letterboxing, low-res everything, and virtual keyboards when I have an actual keyboard right here. If the game were released in 2004 (ish?) alongside the Xbox game, I'd probably just shut up and accept it as an anachronistic pity and thank the gaming gods for how much better ports have become since then. But this just came out in 2010. In the second-last week of 2010 even. I don't think this shit should be acceptable anymore, especially when so many other games do it better. I'll still play it, and hell I'll still enjoy it. What bothers me is how many people this will put off, because from looking at it, this game should never have been released in this state.

Just incase you've not sorted this:

Worked. Thanks. Still, editing a config file is not something I've had to do for a very long time. I believe the point stands.

Played through the opening section of Stranger's Wrath. It's not that it's buggy that really bothers me. Sure, they can fix that shit. I didn't have any framerate issues, and everything seemed fairly stable for me. The only thing that was an issue was that if I tried to set the graphics above "medium" from the boot window, in would show me a developer logo and then crash to desktop. Playing on medium visuals works ok though. What bothers me is how goddamned lazy the port is. First warning sign came when a PC game released in 20-fucking-10 didn't have a widescreen option. Then came the fact that entering my name required MOVING THE ARROW KEYS AROUND A VIRTUAL KEYBOARD AND PICKING LETTERS WITH THE ENTER KEY. That makes so much more sense than, y'know, actually typing my goddamned name in. Hell, even clicking letters with the mouse would have been better. Seriously, what the fuck? There's all sorts of little things like that scattered through what I've played so far. It's really bumming me out considering how much I liked SW on the Xbox and how long I'd been waiting for the chance to play it without having to hunt around and hook up my old machine. I feel especially shitty for those for whom this is their first experience with the game. It really was great, trust me. And maybe it will be again. It will just take a shitload of patching and tweaks to the options from the developer.
I can't be fucked going off and finding the full quote now, but apparently the menus were developed in some sort of console-based Flash and any minor change they made pretty much broke everything, so they were restricted to minor tweaks there.

Also what Grufff said.

Also, if you have an ATI graphics card, try this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1671970

I can't be fucked going off and finding the full quote now, but apparently the menus were developed in some sort of console-based Flash and any minor change they made pretty much broke everything, so they were restricted to minor tweaks there.

Also what Grufff said.

Also, if you have an ATI graphics card, try this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1671970

The Steam fix, which Patters gave to me earlier, simply serves to crash my game on launch. Probably because I'm running an AGP card.