Sign in to follow this  
DanJW

Advice for teenagers interested in the game industry.

I'm not missing the point, I'm just saying that it's how things are all over as a software engineer. If someone is seriously considering getting into the games industry, so much that they're going into programming at school, then they should be prepared for the same problems everywhere else. In my opinion, keep your eye on the prize, and if you're going into development, focus on games. Otherwise you'll end up settling for an equally crappy job writing an accounting system.

Honestly Forbin, your description of your job sounds pretty much like the game industry. So, as I believe you mentioned, that's the job regardless of sector.

Well, I think game music should either contribute to the current atmosphere in the game, or take a leading role (i.e. be a substitute for a dialog in an non-interactive segment). It should blend in with the rest of the game.

But I have the feeling music takes its own route, it competes with being the center of attention with the rest of the game. You shouldn't really be aware that there is music playing while you're actively playing a game, only when you specifically pay attention to it. Or when the music is used for narrative during barely-/non-interactive segments.

And then there is also game music that completely fails to grasp the overall theme of the game.

A messy list of the past 5 years offa the top of my head:

Shadow of the Colossus

Civilization 4 has some classics. Well... To me that Baba Yetu song, really.

Even though I'm not a big fan of the Halo games, I really liked a lot of the stuff on the Halo: ODST soundtrack.

Twilight Princess

Mirror's Edge

Super Mario Galaxy was quite nice too, especially the orchestral ones.

Does Bionic Commando Rearmed count? Since it was based on the NES game and all... The 2009 flop Bionic Commando had a couple of excellent tracks as well.

Aquaria

Everyday Shooter

Mass Effect 1 and 2; maybe not stuff you'd humm around the office, but when you hear it you instantly recognize it.

Metal Gear Solid 4

Uncharted 2

Persona 4!

I've only very recently started listening to the Demon's Souls one. Some good stuff there too.

In general, I think the sound design in the Battlefield: Bad Company games is a real stand out; not so much in terms of music.

I think I'll add Telltale games to that.

On the topic of Battlefield, that series along with Halo are the only ones I can think of that ave cemented such iconic themes.

I was actually going to call the Uncharted soundtracks lame in my earlier thread, but I guess people like them. I'm just not very impressed by the typical Hollywood incidental pulse pounding action movie score, but it did in fact suit the game. I definitely wouldn't listen to that stuff on my own. I haven't been that into Telltale's stuff, preferring the earlier LucasArts stuff Michael Land did and the original Sam and Max score (although what they have for their games is much better than the cartoon).

We are all bound to have missed some games recently that have good soundtracks, for sure. But the point is there are still many game companies, big and small, out there that treat sound design and music as more of an afterthought than it really should be that definitely outweighs anyone's list of great soundtracks.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

Believe it or not, Super Smash Brothers Brawl actually has an awesome soundtrack, it's just that you can never hear it over the combat barks.

DOW2 also has a good soundtrack, but it's in the same situation where you can't hear it over the "BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM! RAIN FIRE UPON US AND WE SHALL RETURN--BOOM!!!!"

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat had a great atmospheric soundtrack. Not in-your-face, but excellent nonetheless.

My soundtrack pessimism is dissipated.

Ah yes, good that you mention Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I don't actually have it, but I remember loving the action-like Love Theme remix from Metal Gear Solid 4.

I'm glad, because pessimism is

. Most of the time. Unless you don't mind turning into a bitter person with a permanent scowl on their face. In that case you are free to pessimism-ism away. :blink:

I loved how this topic turned into musing on how fucked you are if you enter the video game industry to naming good video game soundtracks.

Perhaps that's for the best, though.