elmuerte

Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom

So it's out for the PC on steam for quite a reasonable price of 4 euros.

It's a braid like game, although so far the puzzles are not as complicated (finished 2/5), but still quite fun. The art style is also quite good, with the exception of the disappearing clone which breaks the style with too much 3D.

I played the Xbox demo. I wanted to like it more than I did. I found nothing wrong, but nothing engaging.

But, what I think isn't important. What is important is that the game is gorgeous. Every game should be gorgeous! Good job!

I like the art, but the name is so painfully whimsical I can't support it enough to give it a go.

(Sorry I'm not contributing anything to this, I just needed to say how much I hate names that try too hard somewhere and this was the opportunity)

I feel like the art style is good in some parts and is uncohesive or clashes in other parts, but I think I'm interested in playing this game just because I'm a sucker for the platformer-adventure-solver type game. (Really sorry I have a polar opposite of your opinion again, Murdoc. I feel bad about it at this point. I'm not intentionally trying to run around disagreeing with you, I swear!)

I'm interested in your opinion after you finish it, el meurte (or anyone else as well).

I think it's a great game. :3

It's got a whimsical silent-film art style, a whimsical name, a whimsical story, a whimsical premise. It bleeds whimsy. And it's fun to play!

Beat it pretty quickly. I'm not normally one to care about game length but I was like "is it over already?!" and lo, it was. The bonus levels will probably double the game length, though, so that's good.

I feel like the art style is good in some parts and is uncohesive or clashes in other parts, but I think I'm interested in playing this game just because I'm a sucker for the platformer-adventure-solver type game. (Really sorry I have a polar opposite of your opinion again, Murdoc. I feel bad about it at this point. I'm not intentionally trying to run around disagreeing with you, I swear!)

I'm interested in your opinion after you finish it, el meurte (or anyone else as well).

Don't worry, I haven't really taken a close look at the game, just a few screenshots and was like "that looks neat" and the game play does sound fun. I also love intentional whismsical(Twisp and Catsby) but the name(I know, this is terrible to harp on) just goes too far for me to make entry.

It's like a good looking chick that's friendly and your like "Your pretty ok, I'd like to do you, but your name is Ruth and I just can't get passed that"

It's like a good looking chick that's friendly and your like "Your pretty ok, I'd like to do you, but your name is Ruth and I just can't get passed that"

Haha, well Ruth's not as bad as Doris, so maybe...

Beat it pretty quickly. I'm not normally one to care about game length but I was like "is it over already?!" and lo, it was. The bonus levels will probably double the game length, though, so that's good.

Are these bonus levels unlocked through doing certain things within the game, much like A Boy and His Blob (which also double the game's length strangely enough) or are they a separate downloadable add-on?

I honestly can't believe this game is so cheap at release, it seems impossible.

I just bought this, Destructoid tweeted the price and the screenshots alone convinced me this was worth five of my American dollars. Looking forward to it.

Are these bonus levels unlocked through doing certain things within the game, much like A Boy and His Blob (which also double the game's length strangely enough) or are they a separate downloadable add-on?

All the bonus levels will be unlocked by the time you finished the story.

There are 30 bonus levels total, which actually doesn't amount to as many story levels as there are. But! Since the bonus levels are time trials and recording trials (i.e., use as few copies as possible), I've found I already spend more time on them than I did on each of the story levels.

I liked this game. The style and the atmosphere really sell it. Though I would have liked to see more puzzles that relied on lateral thinking rather than platforming, as a lot of them seemed to do. Seems like a lot of the time it was immediately obvious what to do, it was just a matter of timing the jumps of all the clones and whatnot.

It was the levels that seemed simple but had like one or two hard-to-reach pies that made you come at the level from a completely different angle that really provided the "Aha!" moments. Those were much more satisfying - they reminded me of playing Toki Tori, which is always a good thing.

Worth the money, though, and a good start for the developers. I'd like to see what these Odd Gentlemen do next.

I finished the game a while ago on the 360, it is an excellent game if you like brain teasers. The story isn't as deep and pretentious as Braid, the game play is very similar; you're still manipulating time and clones.

I haven't done any of the challenges though, maybe I should go for it some time.

Approaching the about the halfway mark, but play got interrupted by lots of Flotilla for a while... will throw some impressions down in a while.

Thus far the whimsical tone seems to be inspiring me to finish the puzzles with a bit more tenacity than some puzzle/platformers. For example, Braid encouraged me to sort of mull over puzzles and soak in atmosphere before even attempting a solution, whereas this has me leaping in and trying all kinds of crap prior to even understanding what the "point" of a particular puzzle is.

It's different, in a good way.

I wish speed wasn't an important factor in most of the puzzles. Some things really come down to precise timing.

I tried to play it a bit, but I like very little about it so far. Don't even like the art style that much.