Garple

Old Games That Hold Up...Or Don't

Just curious since you pluralized game; what the other ones are? A little short sighted in my memory, but I recall anything other then Max Payne that used bullet time well.

You had to manually script it to a button but the Soldier of Fortune games (complete with glorious gibbing) were awfully good in slow-motion.

Is it so that with 64-bit Windows 7 the old 16-bit installer games don't install correctly?

I tried yesterday to install BG&E from the three retails cd's that I have and at the end of the install it did nothing, I couldn't find the installed files anywhere...

Is it so that with 64-bit Windows 7 the old 16-bit installer games don't install correctly?

I tried yesterday to install BG&E from the three retails cd's that I have and at the end of the install it did nothing, I couldn't find the installed files anywhere...

afaik not a single 64bit version of Windows supports 16 bit libraries. Which is a major issue considering InstallShield installers used a 16bit library for a very long time.

What is the best way to get older Windows games to work on 64-bit Win7 setup?

Dualboot with XP? Not to use 64-bit and go back to 32-bit Win7?

I still need to install stuff like BG&E and Dreamfall and all sorts of older stuff in the future so something I need to figure out here. What is the the best and least painful solution. I know BG&E is in Steam, but in order to get that I would have to sell the boxed copy away and I'm too lazy for that.

I'd try a Windows XP image running in VirtualBox. VirtualBox now supports Direct3D and OpenGL. Much easier to manage, and you could also have a Windows 98 available for games that also have issues in Windows XP.

Maybe two years ago I managed to get over the hurdle of no-mouse-look and played System Shock 1 for the first time. And I really enjoyed it. Still a great game, fantastic atmosphere, with Shodan as the perfect antagonist, the logs to read and listen to, all the little stories of how it went to shit, the voiceacting – in spite of the partly ancient UI and the dated graphics I liked it more then most recent games.

And now on RPS I read this: a person named Malba Tahan made a mouse-look-mod for SS1. So, with the biggest hurdle down, go play it!

Oh, that's great. Will have to do that at some point. I played SS1 for a bit but then stopped. How long is it to play through?

Wow! It's about time. :tup: It's still as ugly as shit, though :) Guess I should finally get around to finishing this. I was always amazed at the quality of the sound, especially for its time.

I was part of System Shock 2 hires texture project for a brief time (but the guy that ran it was a gigantic douche, and everyone who was interested in helping -including professional texture artists- left), and I was always expecting someone to make a SS1 into a SS2 mod, but they never did.

Not sure why I needed to share that, but I did :)

Thunderpeel; though I had a thought reading your message and I wonder why more publishers and developers don't hire small mod teams/developers to do a re-release of some of these games. Sort of like the HL1 project, but with a little bit of budget behind it so it can get done faster/better.

I'd totally pay 15-25 bucks for SS1, SS2 if it got a once over in art assets/engine and maybe a bit of gameplay tweaks along with many other games I can't think of right now.

Oh, that's great. Will have to do that at some point. I played SS1 for a bit but then stopped. How long is it to play through?
Mh, something like 20 hours, maybe more. I remember it as being surprisingly long, but my memory is shit, and I tend to be a very slow gamer - so, in conclusion, I can't help you at all. Sorry.

Thunderpeel; though I had a thought reading your message and I wonder why more publishers and developers don't hire small mod teams/developers to do a re-release of some of these games. Sort of like the HL1 project, but with a little bit of budget behind it so it can get done faster/better.

That's a really interesting idea. I wonder if a small development team could approach a studio with it.