Sign in to follow this  
Garple

Borderlands

I have it, though I am astonishingly unreliable to be online at regular times.

Still, I'd like to play with thumbs.

I'm personally contemplating picking it up on PC; given the amount of new releases, catching a $15 break by pre-ordering it on Steam seems like an ideal situation.

I'm personally contemplating picking it up on PC; given the amount of new releases, catching a $15 break by pre-ordering it on Steam seems like an ideal situation.

That's a good idea. I picked up Borderlands this week purely because I had a rewards certificate for Best Buy.

I'm having a great time with the game, the single player is a lot of fun and not as drab as some reviews have intimated.

I'll have it tomorrow.
I have it, though I am astonishingly unreliable to be online at regular times.

Still, I'd like to play with thumbs.

Gamertags please, Gentlemen.

Mine's Strummer521.

Mine's Strummer521.

Damn you and your logic! Mine is rockbear22.

Mine's Strummer521.

Lord Korax

I'll get around to adding you later this afternoon, assuming you don't get to me first.

Lord Korax

I'll get around to adding you later this afternoon, assuming you don't get to me first.

Hey mate, I just added you and realised you had replied to Groucho. Hope that's alright.

Incidentally, despite actually being Irish, I live in Texas. I mentioned already I tend to be erratic in playing time, but worth mentioning. I know a lot of thumbs are based in Europe.

Hey mate, I just added you and realised you had replied to Groucho. Hope that's alright.

Incidentally, despite actually being Irish, I live in Texas. I mentioned already I tend to be erratic in playing time, but worth mentioning. I know a lot of thumbs are based in Europe.

I'm in Massachusetts, so I'm only a couple hours ahead of you, right?

Oh, yeah. It's more of an invitation to anyone who wants some Borderlands co-op than to one specific person.

Oh, yeah. It's more of an invitation to anyone who wants some Borderlands co-op than to one specific person.

Sorry about our attempted session. What happened? Did you start experiencing crazy lag? Sorry I started dying all the time. I had never done a misson before in such a close quarters interior environment. Plus, I was drinking beer the whole time...so my concentration was lessening by the minute.

Sorry about our attempted session. What happened? Did you start experiencing crazy lag? Sorry I started dying all the time. I had never done a misson before in such a close quarters interior environment. Plus, I was drinking beer the whole time...so my concentration was lessening by the minute.

Yeah, I'm sorry too. My headset, for whatever reason, didn't seem to be working. At first I wasn't sure what was going on (and without checking I'm not sure what to pick up or not and so on). Then I got unbelievable lag and it was unplayable.

We'll try again next time!

(and without checking I'm not sure what to pick up or not and so on). Then I got unbelievable lag and it was unplayable.

Oh. The lag is a bummer. As far as picking stuff up: I'm 90 percent sure that money and ammo are evenly distributed among all players when one of them picks it up, which is a pretty great system. The guns are a bit more of a hairy situation...but I know I'm certainly not someone who gets petty over that sort of thing. If I miss out on a cool gun, I know another cool one will come along.

I was getting terrible lag, too. It was to the point where I was skipping randomly around the area and half my button presses were about 5 seconds late.

I did a quick Google search, and it looks like people are having similar problems on both Xbox and PS3. And so, the trend of broken online from big releases continues...

I was getting terrible lag, too. It was to the point where I was skipping randomly around the area and half my button presses were about 5 seconds late.

I did a quick Google search, and it looks like people are having similar problems on both Xbox and PS3. And so, the trend of broken online from big releases continues...

Ahhh!! It's a real pity. Hopefully they can sort it out sooner rather than later. I'm enjoying the level up with guns vibe.

Oh. The lag is a bummer. As far as picking stuff up: I'm 90 percent sure that money and ammo are evenly distributed among all players when one of them picks it up, which is a pretty great system. The guns are a bit more of a hairy situation...but I know I'm certainly not someone who gets petty over that sort of thing. If I miss out on a cool gun, I know another cool one will come along.

Well, once we have headsets or whatever, or even if we just chat about a session here, it wouldn't be hard to exchange guns.

I rolled a bruiser but like using sniper rifles. Because I'm difficult that way, I suppose.

Steam version is $33.50 today. Worth it, or no? Would there be any Thumbs willing to co-op th PC version with me, despite Gamespy?

Steam version is $33.50 today. Worth it, or no? Would there be any Thumbs willing to co-op th PC version with me, despite Gamespy?

My girlfriend and I both have it for PC and played for quite a bit... had to do some port forwarding and stuff, but we also haven't played since the last major patch.

I've had a great time with it so far, but I've just been distracted by more recent games. Definitely looking to go back and play it... I'd say it's worth it.

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I have a question for someone who had all the DLC for the game: at which level should I go to the new added areas? Does it matter or is it completely scalable?

It scales, but I would recommend buddies for the Secret Armory DLC, those suckers get really, really hard.

It scales, but I would recommend buddies for the Secret Armory DLC, those suckers get really, really hard.

This. Another tip: don't get Moxxi, it pretty much sucks. No XP, barely any loot, just shooting mans over and over. And if you wanna grind through it for the achievements or whatever, bring a low-level co-op friend that just hangs out, then the enemies will scale down to them.

Zed's island doesn't scale well. It was a walk in the park

I just finished the Zombie Island DLC, I was level 17 when I got there and there were some fixed level drops that were level 35ish, so I suppose this was the intended level, but these were the only things that didn't scale (like 4 weapons and the character mod vending machine).

I found the game design in this DLC to be very poor regarding the zombie brains. You start the DLC getting brains when headshotting zombies, but the player has NO clue what to do with them. Of course, anyone would assume it will be part of some kind of item/money exchange some point later. However, the quest giver (Zombie TK) is in a location that is extremely easy to overlook because it isn't in the path to any other quests in the area. The closest you would get is the pumpkin sidequest, but even that one is located closer to the entrance to the area.

I finished the entire DLC and I still didn't know what to do with the hundreds and hundreds of brains I collected because I never ran into TK. I had to check online what to do with them and then saw where the quest giver was. I walked all the way there expecting to be able to finish all the quests in one fell swoop. But no, the game only counts the brains you collect after accepting the quest, so the hundreds of brains I got earlier served NO PURPOSE AT ALL.

To make things worse, when I finally decided to teleport back to Fyrestone, the backtracking door that connects the DLC hub city back to the teleporter DID NOT open even though I had the prompt to open it. I had to walk the long way back to the teleporter. This clearly shows the lack of playtesting if this hasn't been corrected until now.

I recently purchased the game and all DLC packs from Steam because I heard good things about this game, but if this kind of shenanigans happens again I'll probably stop playing.

In summary:

1. Don't let the zombies drop brains before the quest is accepted, it doesn't make sense. If anything, in the same DLC you have the quest to collect the crow eggs and they only drop while the quest is active.

2. If you still want to drop brains as a gag, MAKE THEM COUNT WHEN THE TIME COMES.

3. Place the quest giver in a spot where the player is forced to go through, either in transition to a main quest line point of interest or close to the hub town.

4. If you're placing a door for easier backtracking (which is very very common in this game), make sure the damn door unlocks from the inside.