thorn

Epic Disney on GameInformer

Man, I gotta play Rayman 2 again. I think it's on PSN but not Virtual Console. I had the N64 version back in the day, so I'm leery of trying the Playstation one. Anyone know how they compare?

Hmm, I wonder just how wrong it is possible for one person to be.

If they manage to pull this off, I think this may just turn out to be something quite special. Come on Warren, don't fail me now!

Oh, so that's how wrong.

At least those rayman 2 shots looked like they tried to create gradients(vertex paint?) to have depth and blends, which makes it mildly more appealing then Epic Mickey.

sigh.

Holy shit, this looks awful. I hadn't seen any shots until now.

The graphics looks disappointing. They really never should have released production designs that were so incredibly unrepresentative of the final product.

That said, I like the concept of the game world as a limbo where rejected Disney concepts, characters and rides are banished. Feels like it has a lot of potential for interesting gameplay and story elements.

Really, if we hadn't seen the original art we'd probably be excited about this game and what little we've seen of it.

By the way, has anyone read the GameInformer print article?

Man, I gotta play Rayman 2 again. I think it's on PSN but not Virtual Console. I had the N64 version back in the day, so I'm leery of trying the Playstation one. Anyone know how they compare?

Rayman 2 has a crazy amount of ports that make it hard to distinguish the best or "truest" version to play. The PSX version is actually a trimmed version of the PC/64/Dreamcast versions (which are all similar with Dreamcast having some added extras and looking the best out of the three). It also forces the awful English dubbed dialogue as opposed to the gibberish spoken in original releases. I would say maybe avoid the PSX one unless you are interested in what they changed and removed.

There's also the PS2 version called Rayman Revolution that adds a hub world and mini games as well as new scenes, levels, and an extra boss. It also oddly meshes certain levels and changes the whole order of the original game around as well, so it's probably not in the complete spirit of the original release, but still very fun although a very disjointed experience for someone who did not play this release first.

So generally, I would just say the avoid the PSX version and Rayman DS (which I hear is basically a scaled down version of the 64 one and awfully hard to control) and try out one of the other versions if you can.

At least those rayman 2 shots looked like they tried to create gradients(vertex paint?) to have depth and blends, which makes it mildly more appealing then Epic Mickey.

sigh.

Well it was certainly a feat in 1999, which is when I found it extremely appealing rather than only mildly.

Am I crazy for saying that I actually think those screenshots look pretty good?

Not only are you crazy, but you're trolling—both without any conceivable wiggle room. :blink:

So generally, I would just say the avoid the PSX version and Rayman DS (which I hear is basically a scaled down version of the 64 one and awfully hard to control) and try out one of the other versions if you can.

Yeah, I already own the N64 version, I was just willing to spend the $6 or whatever it is on the PSN store to avoid having to dig out/dust off the old system if I'd get a roughly equivalent experience.

Well it was certainly a feat in 1999, which is when I found it extremely appealing rather than only mildly.

And I'm sure it was, I was talking strictly comparing the visuals of todays standards, and Rayman 2 squeeks by on environemnt art because, regadless of limitations you can see their intentions and they were successful with what they had to work with.

Mickey on the other hand, doesn't even seem to have those lofty intentions of tieing the elements together; thought their characters/facial animation is above what Rayman 2 was doing.

Again, strictly comparing visuals without regard of dates.

Okay, so I agree that it looks pretty awful. However, just watch/listen:

http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2009/10/28/Disney-Epic-Mickey_3A00_-Audio-Tour-With-Warren-Spector.aspx

Some of that sounds pretty awesome. Like Oswald being the bad guy because he knows that Disney ditched him. Old archived content used in the game. The game being populated by the old, forgotten characters and rides of Disney. The projector screens being used as teleportation devices, which are actually platforming mini-games based on retro Mickey cartoons! You can tell this is Warren Spector's baby ... by using the old & forgotten, Warren used his encyclopaedic knowledge on the subject to creates a "fresh" take on Disney while still being very true to Disney. The choice aspect is very Spector, and seem reasonably compelling. "Choice matters" he says, but we'll have to wait to see how much.

I'm crossing my fingers for the art style to get better, but after watching the video above, I'm actually really looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Mo

Yeah SiN, that was the pitch I saw many years ago that got me excited, the game play at the time was like DeBlob as well, but you tie that in with the old concept art and they would have had more doller and love... now, I just dunno. Even if it's wii, they could have pushed the style.

I do like old school Micky with the black eyes though, I appreciate them keeping that.

I wouldn't doom the whole game by just looking at some screenshots.

I've been recently digging more into Warren Spector's stuff and also put this game on the wanted list of 2010.

One friend sent me some interesting podcasts from some gametalk website which name I don't remember right now, because I temporarily lost my iPod today so I can't check...

These podcasts had talks with Spector, Jonathan Blow and the FarCry2 guy who's name I don't remember and then bunch of other people.

The screenshots don't look that good, that's for sure. I would expect more from the team because the Wii can do amazing graphics if done right.

But this has to be seen in motion to see what it is all about and also the gameplay. I don't mind about the graphics that much, the story and gameplay come always first.

But this has to be seen in motion to see what it is all about

I don't think misaligned texture and lack of shadows look better in motions, but I see your point. Maybe they gave out information too early; in any case, I wonder who let those screenshots get out of the door, because they are quite terrible.