GameDreamer

Demon's Souls

yeah, I get everything above upto the fucking awesome part. I'm just not seeing yet and I'm not sure if something like the deserves the time put into it to get the rewards... kind of like the people I yell at when they say farcry 2 wasn't very good.

Quiet.

So, gamespot named Demon's Souls as their PS3 goty.

I haven't paid much attention to the site since Gerstmann and half the editorial staff left, but this seems like a weird choice. Demon's Souls is a great game, but you have to consider the difficulty at some point. It has to be in the mix for the best game on PS3, but should it actually get it?

So, gamespot named Demon's Souls as their PS3 goty.

Not only the PS3 GOTY, but overall GOTY as well.

I got this a couple of days ago and I love it! A few things I've learnt so far...

• Meat Cleaver work surprisingly well in small areas thanks to clipping through textures and weird collision detection. It is very unreliable however...
  • Game is not that hard if you are careful and fight the right enemies with the right weapon and strategy. If you play sloppy you will get killed regardless of your level or equipment.
  • Carry ranged weapons or magic at all times and the game will be much easier.
  • The game allows for a lot of different combinations of items, magic and stats and you have great freedom in how you want to form your character. Replayablitity is great (as long as you like character-building).

I have a few levels left and then I'm done with my first character. A warrior using Meat Cleaver and Adjudicator's Shield +5 along with Miracles to defeat his enemies. I just have 1-3, 1-4, 3-2, 3-3, 5-2 and 5-1 to go.

It seems to me like Demon's Souls difficulty is actually causing people to look past a lot of other irritating gameplay conventions. Gamespot's goty for it smacks more of retaliation against the casual gaming onslaught that's been creeping up than an actual reflection of the game's quality in comparison to other releases this year. Not that the game is not good, but there was so much that came out this year that is worthy of goty that Demon's Souls does not seem to measure up to from what I have seen. I may just be really cynical, but in my mind Gamespot is pandering to "teh hardcores" for hits rather than actually picking the best game of the year.

That said, I haven't played it. I may never, honestly. It seems like the type of game I wouldn't enjoy that much. I won't rule out that it is incredible at what it does, but especially from a huge site like Gamespot, shouldn't a goty be a game that the majority of gamers would actually enjoy? This isn't a personal goty, this represents your entire staff. It should be a game that everyone can get into.

It screams as a desperate attempt for legitimacy over anything else, but that's ok in my book because at least they picked the right game to do it with. After playing Demons Souls for the first time yesterday and then spending all night with it (oh yeah baby), I appreciate the things it does almost more than any other game last year. It can be brutal, but its very fair. And more epic than it has a right to. I would say its not as hard as most people are crying about, just exposes most current-gen games for the cakewalks they are. Really, just from those few hours it jumped to #2 on my GOTY list not just because it's amazing, but because it challenges me as a gamer and yet doesn't punish me in any cheap way. Let's face it, both AC2 and Uncharted 2 were stupid easy.

Personally I gave up, I put it down and never picked it upa gain. It's not the "hardness" I have a problem with, its the repetativeness.

Call modern games a cake walk or whatever, but I have shit to do, I like a challange, but this was a memorization game more then anything to me; which is fine, just not my cup of tea.

Not only the PS3 GOTY, but overall GOTY as well.

Crap, how did I miss that?

It's a great game.

I'm with Aku on the "desperate attempt for legitimacy" take. I stopped paying attention to that site after the Kane & Lynch fiasco. I didn't boycott it, or get high and mighty; I just don't see the need to go to that site anymore.

I've been playing this for a while now and I love it. Don't have anything to say about the game that haven't been said already so I'll keep my mouth shut. Now I need to figure out what my next character is going to be...

I wanted to ressurect this thread first to say this game still rules, second, I found this sweet new build I think I might try for my third character heh. Seems really creative, it's a Vitality Knight build basicly where you go for the Northern Regalia as your final weapon, and you basicly have so much health you can own everything.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:31

Coincidentally, I just got this game in the MAIL (it has always said mail) today. Ran around, killed some dudes, beat the 1-1 boss and then that pesky red Dragon. Other than that, I don't really know what I'm doing yet.

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

That's the only big problem with the game is it doesn't do a good enough job explaining how to progress and what it's systems are for. I reccomend playing the game with a wiki page. You'll enjoy it more. Read the basic FAQs on that link I posted, and read about different potential character builds.

It was quite late; you know how it goes. ;)

Tis quite good. The difficulty makes me scared shitless of new areas when I have a reasonable amount of souls though. Everything in that world is trying to kill you. Usually the game makes you feel like you fucked up, though I got killed once by an enemy who attacked me through a wall... Bad language might have been used.

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

I'd love to try this game, but everybody keeps telling me... "Buy Demon Souls, IT WILL RAPE YOU SO HARD AND YOU WILL LOVE IT!" that just makes me NOT want to buy the game...:hah:

How fair is it? Mega Man fair? Modern Ninja Gaiden fair (as in NOT fair at all)?

Do I need "I can beat Ikaruga blindfolded" skills?

If I keep insisting, will I eventually beat it?:erm:

I've not completed the game yet, but I think the difficulty is exaggerated. It can definitely be frustrating but I wouldn't say that it's difficult. You learn from your mistakes and then it's actually rather straightforward, if not easy, and there's usually always someone you can call upon to help you through using the co-op feature.

I do miss the feeling I had when I first started the game up and the world seemed vast, alien and ultra-hard though. I remember falling off a ledge into a place I'd not yet explored and began shitting myself with fear, tip-toeing around trying to avoid my inevitable death. Good times! :grin: ...but the world seems a little too familiar now so it's lost a bit of its mystique, if not atmosphere.

I got this through from Love Film the other week (waiting for the rental and the fact it only came out in the UK a few months back mean I'm really late to this party). I'm really enjoying it even though I suck and can't beat the giant dude with the huge tongue and a bird on his head.

It took me about 3 hours to get the hang of it and finally beat the first level though and at one point I did almost break. However, I don't think I've been happier in recent times than when I beat the Armour Spider. I didn't have a clue the first time and it fried me instantly. I fought my way back thinking "this is impossible, how am I going to beat it?" and in a battle of epic proportions (for a thief with a tiny rapier) I poked it to death somehow. I have since discovered magic.

Has anyone been invaded by a Black Phantom player yet? I'm constantly terrified I'll bump into one and apparently so too is my internet connection. It likes to drop out half way through most sessions. Demon's Souls gets scarier and a lot lonelier when all the ghosts disappear.

I really wish there was a demo... That would solve my problems... If my country had something like Gamefly I could rent it, but no luck... ;(

I'd love to try this game, but everybody keeps telling me... "Buy Demon Souls, IT WILL RAPE YOU SO HARD AND YOU WILL LOVE IT!" that just makes me NOT want to buy the game...:hah:

How fair is it? Mega Man fair? Modern Ninja Gaiden fair (as in NOT fair at all)?

It's fair. You're posting on here, so you know how games work. It's just being very patient, and not rushing. Some bits are rough, sure, but most of the game is fine.

Go with what Sombre said. My copy of the game sits there, waiting to be played again, and IT WILL BE PLAYED AGAIN. Even though it took me a long, long time to avoid death in the first ten minutes of the level. That is genuinely part of the appeal, learning how to progress past the various enemies. The curve is steep but you'll find that once you have the hang of beating a certain type of enemy you will just cruise past them on your way back to that place where you died.

Just play the game with patience is the best advice I can give. Don't go sprinting through levels the first time. Take your time with it, try to bait out enemies into 1v1 fights, learn their tendencies and counter attack instead of being reckless and you'll find yourself beating levels on the first or second try. And even if you do die, no biggie, just go back, take your time again, and when you get back to your body you'll get all that experience back, and then some more that you gained on the way there.

I have restartitis with this game, have restarted about 8 times. If I stop playing for a while I lose touch with my character and feel better off starting again and doing better.

I got the game recently but with all the crazy Xmas sales I didn't have time to try it out until now!

I can see why people say this game is hard, you make one mistake and your dead! But I somehow beat the miss boss on my first try? :eek:

Of course, I died several times trying to get to it...

But now I have no idea what to do next, I heard there is a certain order that makes the game easier, but that's about it....:erm:

I saw some dragons guarding some loot, or to be precise the loot dropped by the people they killed... how stupid would it be for me to try and take this loot?