toblix

Heavy Rain

Try as I might, I just can't get myself interested in this game. Seems like it oughta be my type of game - I don't even mind quick-time-events all that much.

I think it's "you have to play it more than once to experience all that this game has to offer" thing. I didn't play the Last Express for the same reason.

The "you have to play it more than once to experience all that this game has to offer" thing is mostly an illusion. You'll get 99% of the same content every time you play and the differences are minor and inconsequential.

The "you have to play it more than once to experience all that this game has to offer" thing is mostly an illusion. You'll get 99% of the same content every time you play and the differences are minor and inconsequential.

(assuming you're talking about Heavy Rain)

Well, that's what everyone assumes. There's always the possibility that they've totally gone and made awesome scenarios that can not all be experienced in the same play through. There might be half an hour of hospital hijinks, complete with a QTE chase through the children's ward, throwing teddy bears and SNES consoles at your pursuer, which you'll only see if you get shot in the shoulder in the store.

I'm voting for not getting Indigo Prophecy. I think that game has made me an altogether more cynical person. I now expect everything to fail.

Yeah, I suppose it could be just an illusion or marketing-speak.

The thing is I've attempted to play the last express years ago, but within 10 minutes of play, I was in complete catatonic state. Every step of the way, my mind was filled with self-doubt and fear that I might be doing something wrong and get the "bad ending" and eventually I was unable to make any sort of decision. I then uninstalled it and never played it.

The same thing will probably happen with Heavy Rain. I have a problem.

The best would be to have several savegames (don't remember if the game have those) so you can play the first 2 scenes and the most interesting bits of the detectives' storyline.

Yeah, I suppose it could be just an illusion or marketing-speak.

The thing is I've attempted to play the last express years ago, but within 10 minutes of play, I was in complete catatonic state. Every step of the way, my mind was filled with self-doubt and fear that I might be doing something wrong and get the "bad ending" and eventually I was unable to make any sort of decision. I then uninstalled it and never played it.

The Last Express is so awesome that you shouldn't not play it just because of this. First: it's fairly short, so you could play again after beating it once. Second: it allows you to rewind. I don't remember how much freedom you had with that, but I think most of the time you can go back if you want to do some part differently.

My shame at not having played The Last Express is starting to weigh more than my laziness. It's not supported by ScummVM, is it?

My shame at not having played The Last Express is starting to weigh more than my laziness. It's not supported by ScummVM, is it?

I don't think so. But I think it should run fine on modern computers, at least on WinXP

I did a lot of research on Heavy Rain for an article I wrote on it. I think that the people at Quantic Dream understand that Indigio Prophecy's ending was terrible, and they arent going to make the same mistake again. But, like people have said, while the concept and ideas in the game are really interesting, it depends on whether they are properly implemented. The scene with the cop in the convenience store looks pretty cool, I must admit.

I did a lot of research on Heavy Rain for an article I wrote on it. I think that the people at Quantic Dream understand that Indigio Prophecy's ending was terrible, and they arent going to make the same mistake again.

they didn't learn much from their mistakes in Omikron. So why would they learn much from Fahrenheit.

Like I said, I am not sure if they will, but David Cage has said many times in interviews that the end of Fahrenheit was bad. He referred specifically to the kung fu and Internet robots (or whatever the fuck they were).

they didn't learn much from their mistakes in Omikron. So why would they learn much from Fahrenheit.

Mistakes in Omikron? Next thing you fools will be saying that Resident Evil has bad controls or that Shenmue is flawed in some way. All misnomers!

When society crumbles and mankind is eradicated, Omikron will be the piece of software that aliens herald as proof of humanity's advanced intelligence.

It wasn't just the ending of Fahrenheit that was bad. It was also the almost lack of adventure in the second half of the game, and only quick time events. The stuff you saw in the absolute beginning of the game were completely gone after a while.

And yes, Omikron contains a lot of flaws. The worst flaw, which was also present in Fahrenheit, is that they didn't follow through with their innovative concept and actually let it die. The whole body changing stuff appeared to be quite tedious, and useless because it didn't influence the world at all. The fighting stuff... ugh... Granted, it wasn't as terrible as the Dreamfall stuff, but still the game would probably have been better if they didn't try to include that.

BJ_A2Tpz2UM

Borrowing director Brian de Palma's innovative multiple angle shots, Cage challenges us to diffuse a holdup by
gunpoint, which may or may not end in someone getting killed, not least of all Shelby himself. Oh, and this clip
shows only one possible outcome for this event.

Hands-on: Heavy Rain introduces Scott Shelby | Joystiq

"A little girl....I got a little girl...Her name is Jessica."

Developer walkthrough clip part 1: Scott Shelby | Gametrailers
Developer walkthrough clip part 2: Scott Shelby | Gametrailers
Developer walkthrough clip part 3: Scott Shelby | Gametrailers

(video content NSFW due to language; also, don't watch if you hate spoilers)

I don't think I'm being too cynical or jaded when I say that it's hard for me to get legitimately excited for video games anymore. I love playing video games, and I heartily appreciate the good ones -- but the games that fill me with keep-you-up-at-night anticipation are few and far between.

After playing Heavy Rain for the first time on the show floor at PAX, something tells me my slumbers will soon be interrupted by Quantic Dreams' upcoming ... well, for lack of a better term, interactive movie.

The small sliver of gameplay I witnessed was a scene titled "Hassan and Son," where newly announced character Scott Shelby attempts to gain some information about the Origami Killer from his most recent victim's father, Hassan, a convenience store cashier. The conversation doesn't end well for Scott, who retires to the back of the shop to grab an inhaler. As he peruses the aisle, a jittery young man enters the store and holds Hassan up at gunpoint.

It's an instantly intense situation that the player now has to diffuse. The methods of doing so -- even in this single five-minute-long scene -- are extremely plentiful.
Many of us had probably seen the clip of this one already, so this is just Joystiq's firsthand account of actually playing the demo. The videos above show different decisions you can make, resulting in different outcomes that could ripple throughout the arc of the game's story and affect other details in its narrative.

The problem with making a game that has branching narrative and requires multiple playthroughs to fully appreciate is that it has to be interesting enough the first time through to compel the player to go again. Everything I've seen of Heavy Rain has, to this point, come across as nothing but a third-rate made-for-TV thriller. If I'm going to make the commitment to something like that, nothing but videos with a few interactions, I might as well just rent an actual good film (like, say, actual classic de Palma) and just fiddle around with the different audio tracks on the DVD. I'd get a more enjoyable experience, with less time commitment and less cost.

3nEkbs7vVQk

Again, not-so-recent clips. NSFW. Shaky spycam during a closed door demonstration (got it from a gamer at another forum), showing what Madison had to go through once she got herself all "gussied up" for Paco. You can barely make out the voice dialogue and the shakiness is terrible but it's still watchable.

Poor girl had to feign her freak on before Paco...well, I had to stop watching the first clip halfway (eventually I chose to watch it all). Not because it was too risque, on the contrary this is definitely a very mature game, with very mature subject matter. You know, for us grown-ups who understand, yes?

DOgzBWQnAjY

Madison needs to find a way to get Paco's attention at the club.

If you don't mind being spoiled, knock yerself out!

So I was down on this game and I thought the concept was ass, I thought the creator was a pompous jackass missing the entire point, and I was a doubter that it could even pull off what it was claiming from the start. But there was always that nagging doubt, the one that proponents of it would cite, that I haven't played it so I couldn't be sure (which is bullshit, but whatever.)

On the weekend, I did play it.

It's even worse than I thought it would be. It was quite possibly the worst video game I have ever played.

Did you make the cop guy spaz out into a frenetic teleporting fit when he was handcuffed to the steering wheel at the end? I thought that was pretty funny.

Did you make the cop guy spaz out into a frenetic teleporting fit when he was handcuffed to the steering wheel at the end? I thought that was pretty funny.

haha, your friend was the only guy who didn't get into that, from what I saw. The game was fucking terrible except for wizard vision.

I would have loved to play the game. But it became from a multiplatform to PS3 exclusive somewhere along the way. I loved Indigo Prophecy no my PC, it worked well. If I ever get a PS3, that would be the first games I'd buy.