Jake

Idle Thumbs 30: Idle Thumbs E30

This episode is somehow both meandering and rapid-fire at the same time. Dunno what's up with that. E3 happened, though, and we're talkin about it!

"Idle Thumbs E30"

We're back from E3, filled with hands-on impressions, tales of awkward industry encounters, and an important question: Who needs a motion wand when you have a ten year old boy trapped in your TV?

Games Discussed: Project Natal, Unnamed Sony PS3 Wand, Milo, Explodemon!, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Left 4 Dead 2, APB: All Points Bulletin, God of War III, Heavy Rain, Brink, Scribblenauts, the Beatles Rock Band, Mafia 2

minipod_itunes.png

minipod_rss.png

Wow what bold imagery for a futuristic city, imagine the girth of those buildings standing tall, brave and hard against the virgin sky

... in other words, it's a skyline of rock hard-ready to rut cocks!

As to 'supposed social covenant', didn't Valve outright say that they would support L4D the way they did TF2? Not that the press is innocent when it comes to this; I remember from the reviews of L4D more or less went 'yeah, there are only a handful of maps, but this is Valve so you know they'll support it with updates like TF2'. I don't imagine we'll be seeing apologies or retractions in the media, will we?

You guys fail to see the potential of Natal if it's used in a subtle way like a TrackIR device if the head tracking is spot on eg where you can shoot in a different direction from where your facing. I am sure they can allow for a combination of Natal and controller or Natal and an improvised steering wheel or weapon or some such. Great podcast as always.

Yeah, so I asked a guy in the Harmonix booth about playing the second half of Abbey Road uninterrupted and it sounded like it wasn't going to be possible. The guy said it would be like Rock Band 2, with a short loading break between songs while it displays scores/percentages. A major disappointment, indeed.

On a more awesome note, I am glad you guys enjoyed the Scribblenauts video my colleagues took. They made us stop filming, but we did run into just one word that wasn't in the game: zephyr, or a small gust of wind. We actually went back the following day with a list of words to try and stump it and we couldn't find any more.

is it Explodemon! or 'Splosion Man?

The latter is by Twisted Pixel, the "The Maw" guys. It sounds like the splosion man.

Sorry, fixed!

Disappointing about Abbey Road, if true, though I guess I can cope!

They made us stop filming, but we did run into just one word that wasn't in the game: zephyr, or a small gust of wind. We actually went back the following day with a list of words to try and stump it and we couldn't find any more.

Wow. How the hell do they manage that?

You have to cry in front of your natal to control the game...

The crying micro-paid quick time events are coming !

Can anyone link me to the video Nick was talking about which he took at E3? He said it was on Shacknews but I can't find it. Thanks.

The crying micro-paid quick time events are coming !

I heard Steven Spielberg's next game will charge you 1$ for every time you don't cry when you're supposed to. And 10$ if you don't cry at level 17.

Can anyone link me to the video Nick was talking about which he took at E3? He said it was on Shacknews but I can't find it. Thanks.

The L4D2 one? I think it's here. Not entirely sure, as I didn't watch all the way through and listen out for the conversation.

I still read Natal as with the first syllable stressed, meaning of or relating to birth. [insert kid/baby sex joke]. I think it's going to be one of those terms I mostly read, and mostly read along with my instinct, and then be slightly confused every time someone mentions it, albeit for a second.

You mean like Ubisoft? (All the execs at E3 pronounced it You-Be-Soft, whereas everyone I know pronounces it Ube-soft).

And I'm glad Scribblenauts got some love on the cast this week.

So can we pencil in Hot Scoops to pinch hit for Nick next week?

You mean like Ubisoft? (All the execs at E3 pronounced it You-Be-Soft, whereas everyone I know pronounces it Ube-soft).

Yeah, that's one example. I say oobie because of the Latin connection (years of hardcore dead-language study don't disappear easily). It was only once I started listening to podcasts/paying attention to gaming promo stuff that I heard anyone stick a 'y' sound on the front.

Another one - I think it was a few podcasts ago that the word 'solder' came up, where one of the dudes hadn't heard it spoken before, and didn't realise the 'l' was silent.

Linguistics can be fascinating.

I really loved the grumpiness in this episode, especially from Remo, even though you guys seemed to regret acting that way. There were a lot of great criticisms on the new E3 crap and the gamer complaints, although I'm not at all interested in Heavy Rain, even for the comedic value. I wish I could hear the unbleeped comment about Molyneux.

I'm surprised there was no Monkey Island talk though. It's okay to even if Jake works at Telltale right?

The L4D2 one? I think it's here. Not entirely sure, as I didn't watch all the way through and listen out for the conversation.

That must be it, thanks.

I'm surprised there was no Monkey Island talk though. It's okay to even if Jake works at Telltale right?

What!? Not even of the Special Edition? Oh man, that's disappointing. Way to disappoint, disappointers!

It is closer to "you-bee-soft," as the "ubi" is lifted from "ubiquitous."

Nice vid, Vimes, but just when you thought L'Académie française would iron out all linguistic quirks and irregularities, even Yves Guillemot pronounces it yoobie.

Yeah, Jake, you're right (even though 'ubiquitous' is another word that cooks up Latin flashbacks for me). That said, I'd like to think that one wouldn't get kicked in the balls for oobying your Ubisoft.

I say oobie
too because it's correct where I live.
...the word 'solder' came up
Everyone in .au pronounces the L sound, we also say the 'out' sound in router. It wouldn't surprise me if oobisoft did some market reasearch into 'oobi vs you-bi' and American linguistic preferences.

Guy eating pasta and exploding?

It sounds vaguely like the boss (the actual employer) guy in Sewer Shark.

Even if it isn't, the game is fun to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1WEq3dhnnI

I'm pretty sure he was referring to this ad for Yoshi's Island:

4AyE3EXTj58

I remember this commercial vividly because

1) I love that game

2) I love The Meaning of Life

3) It's disgusting