toblix

Mass Effect 2

Speak for yourself, I found it pretty dull that every building on every (non-plot) planet in the galaxy had one of three interiors. It was like IKEA space outposts.

well, what did you think was in all those boxes and crates ;)

besides, those buildings were not procedural generated, if they were it would have been much better. Although it would still contain a lot of generic rooms.

besides, those buildings were not procedural generated, if they were it would have been much better. Although it would still contain a lot of generic rooms.

Yeah I was speaking more to the environments being flawed than procedural being the problem, my response was equally flawed :getmecoat

Yes. In fact, the terrains were awesome. However, I guess I read this (or maybe the article also said) as the missions also being more "hand-crafted". Of course, only time will tell.

Anyway, all discussion about Mass Effect 2 has been rendered useless by this link that Chris posted earlier:

LD0AdV6-rAY

...What? What IS that?

I realize that 13-year old boys are, tragically, a disproportionately large portion of the video games market. I've already accepted that Dragon Age has morphed from "Bioware's next swords and sorcery RPG" to "The medieval RPG with BLOOD and TITS." But this trailer just took Mass Effect into a whole new territory, marketing-wise.

"I can say 'bitch!' And kill stuff! And fuck your character! And I have a bunch of tattoos! ....Play Mass Effect 2." It's like they took one of the over-the-top ridiculous female bots from Unreal Tournament and stuck her in the self-serious universe of Mass Effect.

</whine>

I'll still buy the game, obviously.

It sounds like Eliza Dushku wandered into the wrong video game studio while working on Wet.

I didn't watch it with the sound on, but she's hardly what you'd call traditionally attractive (although I don't see why she has to walk around with only a thin leather strip covering her nipples). Maybe it's worse when you can hear what's being said?

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Awww shit yeah, what?! I'm gonna nail her while shooting ALIENS with my big ass gun. What diddy fuck diddy what diddy who?! WORD! Gotcha! BOOM!

In all seriousness that is the worst thing I've ever seen. It makes Dante's Inferno seem respectful to the source material by comparison.

No. Just no.

With any luck you'll be able to suit her up in armour. If there was only a way to shut her up, that dialog was truly terrible

Ewww. The sound makes a huge amount of difference... At least she's not designed to be sexually appealing: If they'd made her look like Angelina Jolie then she would have entirely been puerile wank-bait.

I can see what they're trying to do, but I can also see how they've fallen short (at least in that trailer).

ffs... I watched a Mass Effect 2 teaser/trailer...

luckily it was a terrible part from the game so it won't get my hopes up

It makes Dante's Inferno seem respectful to the source material by comparison.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not go saying things that we can't take back.

...What? What IS that?

I realize that 13-year old boys are, tragically, a disproportionately large portion of the video games market. I've already accepted that Dragon Age has morphed from "Bioware's next swords and sorcery RPG" to "The medieval RPG with BLOOD and TITS." But this trailer just took Mass Effect into a whole new territory, marketing-wise.

"I can say 'bitch!' And kill stuff! And fuck your character! And I have a bunch of tattoos! ....Play Mass Effect 2." It's like they took one of the over-the-top ridiculous female bots from Unreal Tournament and stuck her in the self-serious universe of Mass Effect.

Yikes... this is just embarassing.

It's exactly the kind of drivel Hollywood made with their perception of what/who Tank Girl should be.

Hey now, Tank Girl is awesome. Movie and books both, for different reasons of course. I think Tank Girl was handled very well. Especially soundtrack wise. Le Tigre, Bratmobile, etc fit perfectly, and the whole vibe of the movie supported that. If you like Kathleen Hannah or any other Riot Grrl stuff from the 90's, it was a great way of sneaking it into the Hollywood blockbuster. Say whatever you want about Subject Zero (I'm currently "meh" on her. She could be handled well, but the trailer sure as hell isn't promising.) but leave Tank Girl alone.

Umm....

Wow, that's a real head-slapper.

Slightly different vibe than I remember getting from the first Mass Effect...

Maybe it's because I've only heard it talked about and so it exists in my brain-modified form, but somehow the perv-factor and general cheese of Dragon Age seems like it will be kind of hilarious. This, on the other hand is.... this....

Edited by Fuzzy Lobster

that has literally made me not want to buy this game, im with the guy who said it looks better than dantes inferno, the only reason i liked mass effect is because it wasn't that trailer, DAMN U GAMES! Y MUST U DESTROY ALL THAT I LOVE?!?!?!

It might not actually be anywhere near as bad as that trailer makes it look. I think you guys might be overreacting. As I said: If they'd made her character look sexually appealing then I'd totally agree. Instead they threw just about every traditional idea of beauty out the window when designing her: Cut all her hair off. Make her body an ugly mess of tattoos. (Although she does wear make-up... WTF is that all about? :hmph:) I can't believe anybody looks at her and goes, "Wow! My ideal woman!".

If this character was a guy then he'd be quite interesting, if you ask me...

So maybe it's not as bad as the trailer makes it look -- it certainly has the potential of being a million miles better than something as tasteless a WET.

Cut all her hair off. Make her body an ugly mess of tattoos. (Although she does wear make-up... WTF is that all about? :hmph:)

Hey, my girlfriend shaves her head and still wears makeup. No tatoos, but a bunch of piercings. She just likes the way she looks bald more than with the wavy blondness that nature endowed her. A lot of girls would actually look awesome bald, just not enough have the guts to try it. Point is: shaving your head doesn't mean you don't care about how you present yourself.

Also, it would appear that you can have sex with Subject Zero in the game. If she didn't wear makeup people would freak out even more. One of the primary demographics that they're marketing to with this trailer are the (surprisingly numerous) guys who don't realize that their girlfriend sneaks out of bed to put on some light makeup so they can wake up and see her "looking amazing first thing in the morning." Yeah, I've met a lot of girls who do this, and their guys don't have a clue. I suspect that to these guys, a woman without makeup is far more off-putting than the "badass bitch" overplayed archetype. Odd world we live in sometimes, isn't it?

You know what a friend likes the trailers for both this and Dragon age, seriously how the fuck... I think he is broken in the head.

Also I agree Miffy, but then again I'm weird.

Hey, my girlfriend shaves her head and still wears makeup. No tatoos, but a bunch of piercings. She just likes the way she looks bald more than with the wavy blondness that nature endowed her. A lot of girls would actually look awesome bald, just not enough have the guts to try it. Point is: shaving your head doesn't mean you don't care about how you present yourself.

Please don't read into my post something that was definitely not there... I'm not saying that girls who shave their heads can't be attractive. Nor am I saying piercings or tattoos are bad. Nor am I saying that girls that sport either of the above shouldn't wear make-up(!). In fact, my personal feelings on all of these things are completely besides the point.

I was responding to the criticism that Subject Zero was just a two dimensional "badass" designed to excite teenage boys. My point was simply if that were BioWare's true intention, they would have gone down a more commercialized idea of what beauty is for the average teenage boy (see WET). Instead they appear to have pushed away from this commercial beauty for the purposes of trying to stay true to the character -- a violent, blood thirsty psychopath who adorns her body with tattoos of her "favourite kills". Surely, if there's any honesty in the ME universe, she would not be the type of person to care if she ran out of lipstick.

A step in that direction immediately makes me think of this:

beowulfjoliemommy_l.jpg

That was all.

I heard the Subject Zero audio on the podcast before I saw the trailer, and I'm still wondering whether or not what I initially imagined was worse than the reality of this trailer. I'm going to guess "no".

About the whole tattoos for your favorite your kills dealy: in the world of Mass Effect, certainly in the first one and it looks like even more so in this one, does killing someone actually mean anything? There's no feeling to it in most games, and I think Bioware takes a more, to use a bit of a pejorative here, video gamey approach to violence. Anyway, I guess my point is that since violence means nothing in this and most games, why the hell does she care about her kills? It'd be like Mario having tattoos for every koopa he jumped on, or for the really good times he jumped on koopas. I'm sure in ME1 I killed at least two or three hundred people throughout; to call any one of them special would be quite a leap. There's such a disconnect there for me, and it's the type of artificial thing you see tried a lot in games; players don't really care about what happens in the game, so the devs have to tell you that you do, or that the characters do.

It's not like Bioware has been creating metric assloads of original, non shitty characters in the past, but they had a few, y'know? We've gone a long way from HK-47.