toblix

Holy Shit! Awesome E3 News!!

omg omg early Sony news

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlAf6m3Ih2Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlAf6m3Ih2Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

:tup::tup::tup:

Now that is DLC I'm really looking forward to!

..for some reason.

I made that joke, like, six months ago. Nobody laughed ;(

Timing matters. Not sure if anybody laughed right now, so it might be a dumb joke. But then again, it's quite impossible to say "Army of Two, 2" without making it sound like Army of Tutu. Maybe EA needs that "read back your comment" feature Randall Munroe suggested for Youtube.

Yeah, APB was shown in the EA press conference. Not much was shown really but I like the idea behind it, though I'm trying to reign in my hopes before they get shot down by reality. I think they mentioned 100 players, open world, where you can be either criminal or "enforcer" or whatever word they used. Would be cool to have future GTA thumb sessions be APB sessions. Imagine the carnage we cause, but in an open world with other players. We can start a gang :shifty:

But I expect the end result to be somewhat less cool than that.

That's my sincere hope for APB, too.

The idea of making a gang and then fighting and working within a persistent city for territory and livelihood is incredibly exciting to me. As you say, n0wak, I just hope Realtime Worlds can pull it off.

For myself, I've little cause to doubt they can't achieve this. It appears they've scoped the MMO aspect to be not much more than a score and territory game amongst a (relatively) limited number of players in any one instance. This makes it seem much more likely to succeed to me.

I'm still dancing like a maniac over Monkey Island and the new Brutal Legend footage

(I know I'm in the wrong place to do this and made a similar point a year ago, but I feel the new footage justifies it being made again)

Why are u excited after seeing the Brutal Legend footage? Someone please explain to me what there is to be excited about this game. The gameplay looks tired and given his previous games I have no faith in his ability to make good gameplay (but I here u say it's all about the characters and humour) I think the character seem cliche (prob being too judgmental there) but my god everything I've seen of the humour so far seems embarrassingly unfunny, like it was penned by a twelve year old. I know a fair few Schafer fans in real life and they have reasonably developed senses of humour I don't get why they find this stuff funny, please someone explain.

Yes, it was fucking good.

Sadly, however, the sequel's not going to be developed by Realtime Worlds. Microsoft dicked about for ages deciding whether or not to commission a sequel, so Dave Jones and co. moved ahead with putting APB into full-time production.

Keep up with the news :)

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21594

Ruffian Games has been founded by key Crackdown-related employees, including lead designer Billy Thomson, with unconfirmed reports of a Crackdown sequel in development there.

I'm not sure what to make of Natal, obviously the video was staged and we don't know what it will actually be capable of, but it would be really neat if you could do some basic motion capture and export the animations into XNA. That's really the most exciting use for it that I can think of.

hmm.. Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid*. I hope my Wii still works after all the dust it has been gathering.

*for Wii I suppose?

Yeah, Team Ninja making Metroid is huge, and probably the only big thing to come out at the Ninty presser. Wii pulse monitoring? Really? And Super Mario Galaxy 2 will no doubt be very good, but looks pretty much exactly like the first, so while I'm looking forward to it, I don't see much to get excited about. Still, seeing Samus doing her thing, and the Adam Malcovich appearance (the "Any objections, lady?" guy. Many references to him in Metroid Fusion, but this is the first time he's been any more than backstory) definitely won me over.

I have no idea what was happening in the Metroid trailer, but that might've been me. I got the idea that they were fusing multiple franchises? Like, Metroid and some random RPG? Otherwise, why put the '+ becoming x' between Team Ninja and Nintendo, suggesting a rivalry?

Galaxy 2 was huge. I predicted it actually, but this will be no doubt fantastic.

Lots of interesting games brought up in the Nintendo conference. Of course, Metroid and Galaxy 2 crown that, but I'm still intrigued by some of the DS stuff.

But, as my Twitter feed and other commenters are telling me - Nintendo failed, just because. Metroid isn't even new, pff. Forget it. Give me sequels that will explode my bowels instead. (or something to that effect)

Nintendo didn't fail, they just didn't impress as much as everyone was hoping. People wanted a complete blowout to make up for last year's debacle, and when they only got a reasonably solid presser instead, peppered with stuff for non-gamers as well, they were disappointed. Really though, Nintendo's new market is not going away so how is it an unwelcome surprise that they're making things for them? They announced 3 new, hardcore-aimed first party titles, and Golden Sun DS. The fact that they did it over an hour and fifteen minutes with a bunch of padding is just to be expected.

Nintendo didn't fail, they just didn't impress as much as everyone was hoping. People wanted a complete blowout to make up for last year's debacle, and when they only got a reasonably solid presser instead, peppered with stuff for non-gamers as well, they were disappointed. Really though, Nintendo's new market is not going away so how is it an unwelcome surprise that they're making things for them? They announced 3 new, hardcore-aimed first party titles, and Golden Sun DS. The fact that they did it over an hour and fifteen minutes with a bunch of padding is just to be expected.

Sure. And I think a lot were taken along by the admittedly-awesome PR theatre of the Microsoft conference.

Because, really, it was mostly a bunch of (impressive, promising) sequels that people already knew about, or sequels/spin-offs that people didn't know about. And then some crazy, baffling new tech and some scarily earnest Molyneux for good measure.

As a package, though? Very impressive. Even though Nintendo had a good spread of games in there, it was mostly people in suits and spruced-up slides. And some crazy, baffling new tech - but without any rambling pseudo-geniuses or living legends.

Yeah, Team Ninja making Metroid is huge, and probably the only big thing to come out at the Ninty presser. Wii pulse monitoring? Really? And Super Mario Galaxy 2 will no doubt be very good, but looks pretty much exactly like the first, so while I'm looking forward to it, I don't see much to get excited about. Still, seeing Samus doing her thing, and the Adam Malcovich appearance (the "Any objections, lady?" guy. Many references to him in Metroid Fusion, but this is the first time he's been any more than backstory) definitely won me over.

That Metroid video has me all tingly inside...:tup::tup::tup:

I picked up on the reference to the C.O. that she talks about in Metroid Fusion right away. I also noticed the scene from Super Metroid where Mother Brain blasts the Giant Metroid off of Samus' head. Choice.

Any speculations on who the bro is that lifts his face mask and says 'remember me?'?

*edit*

Sorry, this may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut_8qkC2KUQ

I haven't been online for two days thanks to my last exam. I come back and E3 is totally nuts. My inner cynic tells me I should be berating half of this stuff, especially because it's all sequels, but it's difficult not to get excited.

That Trials HD better come to PC, I attempted Trials 2 with the 360 controller and it was horrible.

Sony have just announced a load of PSP stuff, it's now vaguely interesting to me. FFVII is coming to PSN today apparently (probably not here).

OMG...the Sony Dildo. They've definitely out done MS there! That guy is really struggling, he knows it's fucking shit compared to Project Natal.

...And now my Twitter feed has erupted with pronouncements of Sony 'winning E3', and how the trailer for The Last Guardian made people cry.

What is this insanity?

Hey, looks like a few good games are coming to each console in the coming year.

Holy fuck. Personally, I think Sony won it as well. Conference-wise, at least. That was incredible. I don't even know where to begin. And the admittedly goofy-looking motion controller? How is that shit compared to Natal? It looks amazing, particularly the precision involved in the archery demonstration. Even moreso considering this is all in the prototype phase. So glad I have a PSP and PS3 right now...

Whoever wins, we all lose.

Everyone's conferences left me feeling unimpressed. I don't know. I'm trying to keep my inner cynic in check, but I think I have to come to the acceptance that I've moved into a new demographic of existence. The core, big, testosterone games that some hype have little interest for me; but the overly casual stuff that others hype also don't appeal to me. I guess I'm in some weird middle space that tends to exist mostly with downloadables and indies now, and those just aren't hype worthy for such presentations. Oh well.

with what I watched I would say that Microsoft were the most impressive, then EA, then Sony, Nintendo, watching paint dry, and finally Ubisoft

I dunno, overall it's been pretty ace. Uncharted 2 and the Last Guardian were better than I'd ever expected.

It's been a bad 24 hours for my heart. Monkey Island, mind-blowing Brutal Legend footage, and the Last Guardian? Fucker's been beating like its life depends on it (ho ho).