Coldkill

I hate Games for Windows Live and subsequently MicroSoft

GFWL, as it's creators have named it, is the worst piece of <insert profanity here>.

I've been attempting to download an add on to the "acclaimed Fallout 3" today and besides Microsoft uploading X-Box files in place of actual PC files, then resetting the download every 5 minutes, then forcing me to log out so they could reset the download without me watching them reset the download... It all makes for a very frustrating day. :(

Does anyone else feel that Microsoft are the worst company out there for even trying to enter into the gaming market with their sub standard software?

The should just submit to Steam and work with Valve already. United Steam/XBL profiles would be pretty sweet and all of this running two things to play one game shit would be over once and for all.

Does anyone else feel that Microsoft are the worst company out there for even trying to enter into the gaming market with their sub standard software?

Not since I gave up PC gaming and switched to 360 :getmecoat

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on PC as well. Most of my gaming is done on 360, with the Wii and PS3 providing backup whenever a good exclusive comes out. I still play PC games now and then, but it's mostly replaying games I bought years ago (Hello again, Warcraft III. How've you been?) or modern shooters that are cheaper on PC. If I want to play something that's not an RTS or an FPS (and both are far from my favorite genre) I'm going to most likely be doing so on 360. Hell, even then, the shooters I'm most often interested in are sometimes console exclusive (Resistance series) so even then PC isn't really the lead platform.

Last games I played on PC were Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (on the last 3 missions of my semi-regular replay of the trilogy) and Warcraft III. The most recent of these two was released while I was still in high school. I think I was in jr high for Warcraft. Not exactly what you would call an avid PC gamer anymore, sadly.

You did what? :eek:

Switched entirely to console. I prefer lounging on a sofa to play games rather than sitting up at a desk, though would go back to PC if I were playing multiplayer FPS.

I also found that, while PC games are absolutely great for keeping yourself awake if you need to tweak your bodyclock because of odd working shifts or jetlag, console games and sofas are not so conducive to staying awake :)

Don't forget customer service!

Actually, I've had nothing but good experiences with MS' customer service. Always competent and helpful, and when my 360 RROD'd on me, they had it there and back in less than two weeks. :tup: for Microsoft's (Canadian) customer service.

Actually, I've had nothing but good experiences with MS' customer service. Always competent and helpful, and when my 360 RROD'd on me, they had it there and back in less than two weeks. :tup: for Microsoft's (Canadian) customer service.

They seem to be pretty selective in their customer service efforts, and that's kinda what bothers me. Sure, they replace 360's quickly because it's such an embarassingly widespread issue that they don't really have a choice. Try cancelling an xbox live account, something that isn't in their best interests and you'll see what I mean. The last time I cancelled my gold subscription I went through FIVE different people, all with a different excuse for not being able to help me, all asking for varying degrees of personal information. I think when I hung up my phone it read something like 35-40 minutes. This is all anecdotal of course, but taking incidents like this (and similar ones I have heard from friends, family, and the interwebs) and comparing them to the remarkably good RROD policies just makes the whole system look even worse. (also Canadian btw)

They seem to be pretty selective in their customer service efforts, and that's kinda what bothers me. Sure, they replace 360's quickly because it's such an embarassingly widespread issue that they don't really have a choice. Try cancelling an xbox live account, something that isn't in their best interests and you'll see what I mean. The last time I cancelled my gold subscription I went through FIVE different people, all with a different excuse for not being able to help me, all asking for varying degrees of personal information. I think when I hung up my phone it read something like 35-40 minutes. This is all anecdotal of course, but taking incidents like this (and similar ones I have heard from friends, family, and the interwebs) and comparing them to the remarkably good RROD policies just makes the whole system look even worse. (also Canadian btw)

Card codes are the main reason i don't have a problem with that, over here they are cheaper than buying direct.

Ah, I haven't had to deal with that. I've read some horror stories, but I don't own an Xbox 360 yet. I'm still sore from my original Xbox giving me the, "Xbox can't read" error a year into owning it.

In my experience, their customer service has been absolutely stellar.

Edit:

Ah.

Whenever I've dealt with Microsoft support it's been terrible. Although that's also been to do with GFWL, so I guess they are just carrying on a tradition of shittyness. :spiraldy:

I haven't had a problem with it. Use it mainly for DOW2 and it's cool.

XBox Live is awesome as well.

a) I don't mean to be a dick about this

B) I might not actually be correct

c) Whether or not this matters is completely up to you

d) I'm only even saying this as a weak attempt at imparting a tiny bit of knowledge

Bearing all of the above in mind, shouldn't the title read "I hate Games for Windows Live and consequently Microsoft"? As I understand it, "subsequently" refers to a thing being subsequent to another (following it in sequence), whereas "consequently" refers to a thing being a consequence of another (being caused by it). Whilst it may actually be true that your hatred for Microsoft emerged after your hatred for Games for Windows Live, I think it's more pertinent that it happened because of it.

Again, I'm not trying to call you out or anything; I'm just hoping you're of the "we learn from our mistakes" school of thought. Not that this is much of a mistake at all. OH I DON'T KNOW, I JUST HAD TO SAY IT. I'M SORRY.

Erm.... :eek:

I didn't like Microsoft before GFWL, I hated them afterwards, so the title is correct. But, I guess the way I've worded the title you would be correct. Point noted.

In this case either is correct. Enough with the semantics discussions now please.

I know this is an old-ass thread, but ... I seriously just can't get GFWL to work, even after downloading multiple copies.

WHY IS IT SO MUCH TO ASK TO PLAY VIRTUA TENNIS 4, Video game GODS???

Tips, amigos? I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. The client seems to install OK but always opens with an error.

Is it completely phased out at this point? Maybe they turned off the servers.

No, that was either never a thing or Microsoft decided not to turn off the servers. GFWL is still running.

I had a problem recently where I'd uninstalled Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant because why the fuck would I need that, and Bulletstorm would literally just not launch at all. It turns out GFWL needs whatever that is. Games For WINDOWS LIVE, huh, go figure.

Anyway, dunno if that's your problem. Probably not.