Jake

Idle Thumbs 25: Pause Theme from Battletoads

Most of those games that you mentioned seemed to take pleasure in torturing the player. Levels that loop endlessly til you find the secret exit, spike traps right where you'd be entering from that will kill you instantly, etc. I'd say Zelda 2 is probably the most apt comparison, as it wasn't really cheap, just ball-breakingly hard. Hatsworth is not a cheap game. It does not torture you arbitrarily with crazy things. Rather, it demands a hell of a lot from you, skill-wise. It is far more generous with continues than Zelda 2 though, so you'll usually have the stock of lives necessary to power through. I'd say that the action game part is actually more in line with things like the original NES Ninja Gaiden than the kind of game you mentioned. Again, not cheap, just demanding.

Yeah I have really vague memories of Ninja Gaiden of being hard but I have not bothered to play any of the series since when I owned my original NES in my elementary school era.

I think I'll try to pick up Henry Hatsworth one day. I mean, if it's more generous than Zelda II in lives, which was actually a major problem for me in that game because once you collect your extra lives in that game, it's saved on there, so there is no way add extra lives if you have to continue a game from a save after dying. You pretty much have to know that ahead of time so you can collect the lives all at once for the last palace. The knights in the palaces though I think were pretty cheap as they were made to somehow block every hit, only seeming to stay open to attack at completely random and brief times. Maybe it was my skill, but to me it just seemed like luck whether or not I could beat a knight without losing tons of health. But other than those sorts of things (and the grinding) I think deep down it was a good game.

You should keep us updated when you finish or as you play. You may not have as much of a hard time as Remo did. The podcasters did admit they all in one way or another did not usually finish games, so maybe it would be easier to understand the difficulty from the perspective of someone who usually did finish things to completion.

Anyone else pick up Henry Hatsworth?

You should keep us updated when you finish or as you play. You may not have as much of a hard time as Remo did. The podcasters did admit they all in one way or another did not usually finish games, so maybe it would be easier to understand the difficulty from the perspective of someone who usually did finish things to completion.

I wouldn't recommend playing Hatsworth and only Hatsworth. It's a challenging game, and will be very frustrating if you try to sit down and play through it all at once. I'm playing it between other games, so when I do get stuck repeating a boss battle, I can just turn it off and do something else.

I did have to go back and replay some of the earlier levels so I could get more money to buy upgrades. Many of the levels have different paths to play along that can only be accessed once you have the abilities you've gained from playing later levels.

Tourette's syndrome is seldom associated with the swearing, which is way more popularly known than the tics that is the main symptom of Tourette's. The swearing (coprolalia) occurs in only 5-10% of Tourette's patients. Just wanted to destroy that misperception of Tourette's.

Heh, didn't realise one of IGN's own had also fallen for it too. There was this a few hours after we registered it:

http://twitter.com/wanyal/status/1363413613

and this:

http://twitter.com/fizziscool/status/1507697878

:)

(Infovore was there when we made it too, he came up with some good ones and was determined to get away from "this game will").

BTW, since my name is Russian I believe it's pronounced with a ch as in natch, latch or charity. Most people seem to say it with ch as in Bach or Moloch though.

Tourette's syndrome is seldom associated with the swearing, which is way more popularly known than the tics that is the main symptom of Tourette's. The swearing (coprolalia) occurs in only 5-10% of Tourette's patients. Just wanted to destroy that misperception of Tourette's.

:tup: Duly noted.

"This game will make you Vicegrip your Ekans until you're Bulbasaur" - ign.com

This insanity is only allowed in the appropriate thread, please, help us keep our forums clean of obscenity and keep the devil in hell.

BTW, since my name is Russian I believe it's pronounced with a ch as in natch, latch or charity. Most people seem to say it with ch as in Bach or Moloch though.

Hmm I'm Russian but I can't begin to guess what "Nachimir" is.

Google is no help.

This insanity is only allowed in the appropriate thread, please, help us keep our forums clean of obscenity and keep the devil in hell.

Well if you read my post first, you'll find that his post was relevant to this topic only.

Hmm I'm Russian but I can't begin to guess what "Nachimir" is.

Google is no help.

I was looking for a name to use online about a decade ago, and it came from a dictionary of Russian names. I suppose it might be a really old and no longer common one, but I just don't know.

Well if you read my post first, you'll find that his post was relevant to this topic only.

The fact that it was relevant to the topic might well be the center part of what makes my post an ironic remark that one could label as "a joke" or "a pittiful attempt at humor"

Maybe it's "Nach mir" that you came across ?

No it was Nachimir, and it is apparently a "period" Russian name :)

That's the page it originally came from, and lists variants Nacimer, Nachemir, Natzimer and Nasmiriz. I picked it by scrolling up and down the page quickly and randomly until a name jumped out at me. Not only did i like that one aesthetically, but I quite liked the meaning too since at the time I'd just solved a very difficult and troubling problem.

No it was Nachimir, and it is apparently a "period" Russian name :)

That's the page it originally came from, and lists variants Nacimer, Nachemir, Natzimer and Nasmiriz. I picked it by scrolling up and down the page quickly and randomly until a name jumped out at me. Not only did i like that one aesthetically, but I quite liked the meaning too since at the time I'd just solved a very difficult and troubling problem.

Nachimir (m) -- "start of peace."

Hmm interesting. Nachalo means start, Mir means peace or world. So it's ... the start of the world! cool.

Assuming that I usually play games to completion is a mistake. I try, and I think I do have a better track record than Remo, based on his comments in the 'cast, but it's probably only about 1 in every 5 games that I'll actually finish. Still, Hatsworth is one I intend to do this with. I'm playing it along with GTA Chinatown Wars, which is quite easy. When I need a break, that's what I'll hop to.