ThunderPeel2001

Brütal Legend overload...!

Last thing I heard about Brutal Legend was the horrible Activision bidness, which totally overshadowed this news which might be a rotten cherry on a shit sundae for Dio fans, but is great news for people that recognize Tim Curry as our one true savior.

The powerpoint from Double Fine's GDC presentation "The Brutal Art of Brutal Legend" was released recently:

http://mygdc.gdconf.com/vault/play/975 (requires Powerpoint to view)

Thank you SO much for linking this. It's fascinating, and has officially propelled this game to the tippy-top of my most wanted list. To be fair, it was already #3, but whatever.

I hope this game is a huge success.

And also, I hope that Activision doesn't see a fucking nickle from this.

Brutal Legend virals (with Jack Black), for those who may have been missing them (like me):

AZwlqmmlmiI

BO8n-oPrnjg

There needs to be an official place to go for this stuff. Like the official DF blog didn't mention anything about Guiness Book of Records thing, or these videos. It's like they're doing all this viral stuff but nobody knows about it...?

Words cannot describe how mush I want this game (well they could). I absolutely love Schafer games (as everyone should) particularly full throttle. This is one of the very few games I have actually plugged (other than Far Cry 2 and Audiosurf) even though it hasn't been released. From what I have seen this is likely to be the game that I enjoy the most this year.

Yep, Thrik's website pretty much covers everything. I've been trying to keep Mixnmojo up with it but there's far too much going on. I have no idea how you stay on top of things, man. Pretty impressive.

Just rolled out of bed and onto Shacknews (that...doesn't sound right) to find an update posted by a certain Mr. Breckon that should interest some folks...I'm off to watch it now, hell of a way to start the day!

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59402

Just have to say, I love the little cartoony move intro splashes that show up to instruct you on combos and attacks and such, they're kinda awesome...

90311819.th.png

66073530.th.png

Edited by Shakesbeard

meh... no scheduled PC release, and no scheduled console purchase

Just have to say, I love the little cartoony move intro splashes that show up to instruct you on combos and attacks and such, they're kinda awesome...

Yeah the art team on this game is pretty terrific. I was a fan of Scott C.'s paintings even before I knew he worked at Double Fine.

I guess I'd be hard pressed to think of anything Tim's done that didn't have kickass art.

I guess I'd be hard pressed to think of anything Tim's done that didn't have kickass art.

He certainly seems to have a knack for acquiring skilled artists on his team(s) and using them to their full potential.

What, you don't have a console? :eek:

No I don't. I don't even have a TV.

Brutal Thoughts IV (surely it should be Roman numerals, DF...?)

ci0kOcgw-5c

The game footage actually looks like fun for the first time... awesome!

As I've said elsewhere, I really don't like that Eddie does the standard video game attack movement of 'Hit enemy three times then do finishing move'. I mean, how can any character - demon or no - be hit with a battle axe and not have bits fall off?

As I've said elsewhere, I really don't like that Eddie does the standard video game attack movement of 'Hit enemy three times then do finishing move'. I mean, how can any character - demon or no - be hit with a battle axe and not have bits fall off?

How can a roadie be transported through space and time to world made out of heavy metal album covers? :)

I mean, how can any character - demon or no - be hit with a battle axe and not have bits fall off?

Like ThunderPeel2001 pointed out, that's all because of Eddie Riggs' cursed belt buckle.

Like ThunderPeel2001 pointed out, that's all because of Eddie Riggs' cursed belt buckle.
So you're saying that the belt buckle protects Eddie's enemies?!

ThunderPeel2001: If you were suggesting that I shouldn't think too hard because it's a fantasy game, then that's just ridiculous. Any fantasy world needs to have internal consistency. And unless the demons have some magical armour that cops out after being hit once or twice, it just doesn't make sense.

I guess I may have overlooked this, but did we know that Brutal Legend has multiplayer? Sounds like we might have another venue for Pikmin/Overlord style battles with four v. four (!) skirmishes...

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=851726&downloadURL=http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/video/article/100/1004869/brutallegend_trl_commentarypt1_71709_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

The first time I've really got a sense of the gameplay and its potential for awesomeness. The rest of the commentary video is on the website here.

EDIT: Hmmm... That video isn't loading for me but then flash has always been a bit broken on my computer. I'll leave it as it is, but if it isn't loading for you, click on the link and select the Commentary Video #2.

Excellent video. Looks like the game could be a lot of fun.

I do hope they still have time to improve the animation though. It looks pretty bad from time to time. Some of the scenery is pretty awesome however.

Holy crap.

If I tried to make some fake hyperbolic statement about how "evil" Activision was, I would make a lame joke about how they dumped Brutal Legend because they couldn't find a way to turn it into a Guitar Hero game.

But Double Fine's countersuit filed today claims that's exactly what happened. Unreal.

They're also demanding a judge to make a ruling as they claimed Activision legally terminated their agreement.

Here's hoping this turns out in their favour.