Scrobbs

Google Streetview UK launches

Don't worry man, glorious Mansfield isn't covered either.

I can see my front door and the windows of my room. This is kind of intimidating.

Paris is in there now too. I was doing some wistful Google traveling this morning going through all my old haunts from last summer in Paris and London. ;(

I have to say, this thing is great. I've been viewing childhood places I haven't seen since I lived there over 10 years ago and all sorts — places I'd in all likelihood never have seen again.

Anyone who complains about such a great service because of 'privacy issues', etc wants lining up and shooting. :tdown:

That privacy issues thing is slightly different to how the press paints it. Fact is, Google built in a privacy request form into the system, so you don't have to complain, you just request that your property be removed.

This is so effective, that an American couple lost their case when they tried to sue instead of using the privacy tools provided.

Also, I think in the long term people removing their property from it may be shooting themselves in the foot. I wouldn't surprised if uses turn up for Google street level that are very helpful. I can just see all those whiners pleading to google "please, put our property back on". "Sorry" says Google "it's gone for good. Bitches".

Anyone who complains about such a great service because of 'privacy issues', etc wants lining up and shooting. :tdown:

I somewhat agree, especially if its as easy to get photos removed as Dan said, but what about the people who have no idea what Google streetview is? They don't even know they are up there and any damage is probably already done by the time they find out, if they do at all.

Should people be checking StreetView constantly for the places they go to to see if they show up anywhere they don't want to?

What kind of damage? It's only driving down roads that any one of us could drive down, and both faces and number plates are pretty reliably blurred out.

If you're doing something so shady that you're afraid people on public roads may see you doing it, perhaps you should reconsider doing whatever it is you do. :eek:

What kind of damage? It's only driving down roads that any one of us could drive down, and both faces and number plates are pretty reliably blurred out.

If you're doing something so shady that you're afraid people on public roads may see you doing it, perhaps you should reconsider doing whatever it is you do. :eek:

It doesn't matter what is common sense, there are people who want their privacy whatever their reasons for it (often just principle, but of course we do know there are such things as wrong opinions so maybe they don't count?) and they may not necessarily be aware that something like Google StreetView is violating that.

I don't know, maybe it doesn't matter so much because probably half the people who have a cell phone also have a camera that isn't really easy to detect so basically anywhere you walk where there are people around, anyone could make a photo of you or film you and put it on the internet with you being oblivious of the fact.

Well, I don't care that much about it myself, but I still don't like the way we give up privacy so easily. And I respect the people who don't really want that. Probably most of our parents and grandparents fall under that category.

My grandparents thought it was awesome when I showed them an aerial shot of their house on Google Earth, and were totally disappointed when it wasn't on Streetview.

Meh, I could easily go any of the places that are on there, but honestly, if someone doesn't like it then it's not really a problem and they can just get their stuff removed.

It's fair enough, but as you say there're so many opportunities to be caught nowadays I personally find it impossible to care about. Lord knows how many random night club photos and shit I'm in on Facebook. ;(

I think Google has done the right thing by automatically blurring heads and respecting censorship requests, though. Really, the only person likely to recognise someone with a blurred head is the actual person.

Oh... I wasn't actually aware they blurred heads. Should have been paying more attention.

Still, I think there's no a hard line between something really shady that the society has a right to know about and something you just don't want to be publicly available to anyone with just a few clicks.

For example, if this was as widespread as google search, I could see employers searching for job candidates on Google StreetView (at least in Estonia your home address is usually in your CV).

It's pretty reliable. At least Google has made an earnest effort, without going through a billion miles of photos and blurring everyone manually.

At the end of the day, it's not going to get much better than that. If the alternative is to not have Street View, then like I said: the privacy enthusiasts can go fuck themselves as far as I'm concerned. I love the service, and it wouldn't be possible without doing it the way it's been done.

A lot of the issues regarding this crystallised for me when I spoke to my mum yesterday:

Mum: 'You know, your dad was on Google on the computer, and he brought up a big close up picture of the outside of our house!'

Me: 'Yeah, that's Street View, our place is on it too. I think it's great, I've been scouting out places I have to go to in central London that I haven't been to before...'

Mum: '...Oh! I didn't realise you could use it for that, how clever...!'

She thought it was just a new weird thing on the Internet, and wasn't threatened by it at all. But if people aren't realising the potential use of Street View, I'm not surprised they're reacting badly.

I have to say, this thing is great. I've been viewing childhood places I haven't seen since I lived there over 10 years ago and all sorts — places I'd in all likelihood never have seen again.

Yes indeed! :tup::tup::tup:

What is wrong with this fucking country? FRONT PAGE NEWS?!? There is literally nothing more important to the British public than Google maps... Good grief.

Luckily I overheard a kind gent explaining the furore to a confused passenger: "The problem is you can look at people's houses for entry and exit points to break in." Really? I thought you could only see what anybody could see from street level. It's not like you can go round the back or have up to the minute status on open windows. He went on to explain: "You can zoom right in and see the types of locks people have on their windows... That's the level of detail we're talking about." His fellow passenger let out a quiet gasp.

The British public see headlines and then imagine what the article is about... and then they go and explain what their imaginary version of the article to other people they meet on the train. It makes me want to weep!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Haha, it seems like everyday is a slow news day in the UK sometimes, as Jake said something to that affect before.

But I really can't speak well of my own country at all either.