Sign in to follow this  
syntheticgerbil

Your favorite game glitches!

This is my personal favorite until I think of another. This used to happen to me a lot in King's Quest 5, since I found it funny to walk Graham off a cliff whether he kept screaming or not.

Name yours! Videos and pictures are most helpful, but an amazing description is nice too!

It may not be a glitch, but I love when I critically hit someone in the head with a shotgun in Fallout 3, and the head comes loose, but only just, so that it balances for a second and then rolls off the shoulders.

At one point in Sands of Time on PS2, the game glitched, and we got stuck over a doorway from a large enemy. We only had two saves so couldn't get back far enough, so we had to restart the game. It was only when we got back there that we found out that was the end of game bad guy. :hah:

That video was just amazing... I'm awestricken (stricken with awe).
It's gone now! Repost someone, repost!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mACSaLX_VE

Similar things occurred in all the 16-bit Sonic games as far as I can remember, but having played Sonic 3 + Knuckles the most, it is the one I remember best.

And it was easiest to find on youtube.

Also, this video is incredible.

Edit: And there's more of them! Happy days.

Might be more a glitch in the emulator than the game, but once when I emulated Dungeon Master for SNES on my ZSNES on my computer, the pathway turned black. I could see the movement arrows, but not the path. Oh, I could also see the portraits of the heros.

Stunts

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=5__LYjX5-Y0

This game was full of crazy bugs and I loved it for it.

What is this game called? I remember I had this game, although it was probably pirated.

I never figured then that it was buggy though, although I was in no way near old enough to drive. I had assumed that when you start driving insane at high speeds, you are bound to make your car fly 100 feet in the air from a wreck.

It had instant replay too, right? I'm just now having all of these flashbacks of the hours wasted on screwing around in this game.

I remember my friend owning Stunts. It seemed very, very easy to go into orbit inadvertently.

That's not the Stunt Car Racer I remember.

Oh man, I've not seen that since I was about 9 or something :D I'd completely forgotten that the car was a hot rod.

I remember Tails occasionally doing that shoot-off-to-one-side-at-speed thing.
What is this game called? I remember I had this game, although it was probably pirated.

As others have said, it's called Stunts, but you might also know it as 4D Sports Driving (which I remembered as "4D Driving"; I'm sure the directory on my cousin's computer was called "4DD"). That game was cool. I was really interested in level editors when I was young, before I realized that I'm not good at editing levels.

I have a vague recollection of the flying thing, too. I might have done it myself, but I think the more likely explanation was that my cousin saved a replay of him doing it.

Hey, that game had saved replays, too! It was way ahead of its time with all its user-generated content.

As for my own favourite glitches, I can't think of much. Does Big Rigs count as one giant glitch, or a collection of glitches disguised as a game? It's magnificent and appalling that that thing exists.

Stunts

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=5__LYjX5-Y0

This game was full of crazy bugs and I loved it for it.

Great game for its time, had lots of fun with the track editor. Had heaps of saved replays just of weird stuff. Physics in this game is definitely my favorite glitch now that I think of it.

of course

I've actually been playing the hell out of Saints Row lately because I bought the sequel and wanted to finish the first one once and for all. On the last mission now, but that vanishing car crap happened to me when I had 4 stars and 10 seconds left on a hostage mission. Car vanished, hostages got out, my insane wanted level stayed hight, and I was just sitting in the middle of the damn road. About 15 seconds later my car reappeared and I was informed I'd failed the mission and got blown up by the FBI.

Still love that game, but man it really is glitchy as hell.

A handful of glitches immediately come to mind:

Strafe running in DOOM1&2

Bunnyhopping in Q1/QW (basically, if you strafe and turn (in the same direction I think...but its been months since I last played) you could gain speed...but if you turn too far you lose a LOT of speed (and move slower than you would running)...so its this tricky technique and people who do it well can literally sometimes move faster than Q1 rockets for bursts of time.

Strafe jumping in Quake2 and Quake3

As to the mentions about Stunts...that was an amazing game...I still have my old floppy disks (not even High Density as I remember) for it and the original manual for the copy protection (word #X on line #Y on page #Z). I'd love to see someone do a real sequel (spiritual or official) that really captured what the game was about. Trackmania is fun...but it didn't have the insane wrecks you could pull off...and Crashday just wasn't quite as good as it needed to be (it felt like they focused too much on the twisted-metal-esque combat stuff they tacked onto it...and you could just keep crashing the cars forever until they finally died...but it wasn't too bad and it had potential).

My friend and I were able to tune and tweak Toyota Supra RZ in the original Gran Turismo so that it could reach the speed of about 420 km/h (on ideal conditions obviously) making it faster than Dodge Viper and other expensive cars.

This, however, made the car somewhat hard to control. It was nicely demonstrated by a glitch in which occasionally when you cut a corner the tyres on one side of the car would bounce off the ground and the car would start rapidly oscillating back and forth between 0 and 90 degree angle.

It made us feel that we had, in a way, bested the game.