Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

The final episode of Consolevania?

There's a good piece about it on RPS, but reading the comments not everybody is certain it has actually ended? Was a nice episode though.

yeah, having seen it, it's a little ambiguous to say the least.... i guess we'll see, and hope more Rab and Ryan will exist soon :)

Boo. :tdown:

I fell out of watching CV, but, like most shows which end or get canceled, the news of their demise is what kicks me into gear to catch up. :( Anyway downloading torrentz. The stuff in the RE special where Ryan was desperately spraying himself in the face with some sort of cleaning supply while eating a giant herb to try and stave off being smacked to death still makes me laugh like some retard, just by thinking about it.

For me - and without wishing to sound rude - it seems like the wheels have been coming off Consolevania and videoGaiden for the last 18 months or so, particularly Consolevania. Skittish scheduling, random appearances and some really strange approaches to things have all led me to expect them to either fizzle out or just stop dead.

I'm glad, if true, that they've chosen to stop dead. Being on their terms, it seems more fitting. It sounds like series 3 of videoGaiden, no matter how professionally produced or paced, almost completely burnt the boys out. I'm not surprised, as it must have been pretty grueling to produce far more content far more frequently for a huge company like the BBC in such a short space of time. Especially with Rab's baby daughter arriving right in the middle of things.

I think it's the end of Consolevania, but not the end of Rab & Ryan. It seems to me that "Consolevania" as a thing stood for stuff the boys aren't too proud of in hindsight--at least on occasion. And videoGaiden seemed well and truly dead for the reasons I wrote above already, so I wasn't ever expecting to see that show again. (The boys have spoken candidly, in part, not too long since the end of the last series how much of a painful slog it was to complete.)

I reckon they'll be back, but Consolevania and videoGaiden as (effectively) "brands" are now done.

Bummed in the gob.

I'm so proud of the lads for all that they've done, even if it is really the end. Truly the greatest Video game show of all time.

I just watched the episode after struggling to download it. Brought a tear to my eye. What Rab said really rang true, and I'm very happy that they decided to end on a high. I love them very dearly and have never felt so much respect for gamers before.

Rest In Peace, Consolevania, you had a good run :violin:

Edited by gdf

Yes, in the past year there've been more than one instance where it was all uncertain where things would go, and R&R are always expected to have something else up their sleeve, but it would seem Consolevania, for now, is gone. The Second wave saw some heavy delays, and in truth it never managed to capture the raw awesomeness of CV back in the day of John Gacy, Hitler and El Zomba. It does sadden me a bit to see them leave on what appears to be a burnout, since they were pretty negative about their past accomplishments; lamenting the perceived view on them from the public as 'people who're good at destroying games' in their reviews. While that was never what, I assume, most of us thought of them. They were always witty, charming, sharp but fair. Their biggest boon was their unique take on things, a perspective that saw them going against the general current on lots of games. And whenever they were ruthless, they had a good point. Fuck off, Batman! It was their thing, and they did it well, and it's a shame they seem embarrassed about it.

That said, they've had a huge run if you look at the stuff they produced. As it stands, I'm incredibly glad they were able to make so many beautiful things. Especially Videogaiden series 2 was beyond excellent and stands as the best gaming tv ever made.

I hope to see them again some day, doing something they love, without compromise or restraint.

It's officially official:

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. It means a lot to all of us. Genuinely.

I just wanted to confirm that it IS all over, and for the reasons spoken about in the last episode.

Nothing to do with the Fluff Piece or anything like that. We don't need donations or anything or anything. Just a promise that you might stay around and talk about games on these forums for as long as the fancy takes ye.

Again, from the bottom of all our hearts - THANKS.

Rab

:\

NB: For what Rab means regarding Consolevania's Fluff Piece, check the RLLMUK forums.

Edited by Wrestlevania

Aye, a sad day. But it was a noble exit, I have to say.

I feel kind of conflicted about their regrets. On the one hand I can sympathise, but on the other I really enjoyed, for instance, the ripping apart of the Lost game. That kind of righteous anger is, I think, borne from the love of games, not bitterness.

In any case I agree that we have probably not seen the last of Rab and Ryan.

Just watched the 'Consolevania Christmas Carol' I felt a little bit wrong when they brought out all the games they loved this year and only I liked or was interested in one.

Does that mean I'm bitter?

Good swansong nonetheless.

:( genuinely bummed in the gob. That's depressing news.

Properly shite, int it? ;(

I don't agree with Rab saying the show was best-known for kicking developers in the teeth. As I posted on the Cv forums earlier in the week, I loved the show because of the boys' passion, energy and respect for games.

I'll concede they did give a number of titles a bloody good shoeing. But this was very fairly given in my view--like the tawdry and banal Lost shovelware mentioned above.

But no amount of whinging or cheering will bring Consolevania back now. The boys have called it a day and you have to respect them going out the way they have.

Still bitterly, bitterly sad, though. ;(