Noyb

Microsoft Songsmith

Have you ever wanted Randy Neuman to make a generic muzak soundtrack to your life? Have you previously let lack of musical talent or friends with musical talent hold you back from the songwriting that will undoubtedly rescue you from a poor, monotonous lifestyle? You're in luck! Microsoft Songsmith takes in a vocal track and automatically generates a backing track.

Key quote: Microsoft, huh? So it's pretty easy to use?

Ad:

Demo: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/songsmith/

Snark aside, it's a neat idea coupled with a hilariously bad ad and iffy implementation (be kind. I'm no Chris Remo.)

They should have carried on the musician sub plot. It was unconvincing without showing the extreme amount of respect he no doubt got from his peers.

I love that that bit was introduced with a sequence that screamed "HAY KIDS LOOK PEER INTERACTION! IT'S KOOL LOL".

I desperately, desperately want to

demoing this :)

EDIT:

Not worth it's own thread, but for Thumbs and Microsoftness:

(((:hitler:)))

Edited by Nachimir

Actually I saw this and I really really want it. I think it sounds fun and amusing and I could waste lots of time playing with it. It wish it was on DS though, imagine it as a DS game... awesome!

I think the other guy realized he might loose his job because of that awesome song.

Great advertisement! I especially like how they covered that macbook pro with stickers as a statement.

I'll admit that I skipped through most of this, but I did notice that the program has a "jazzy" slider. My life needs a jazzy slider.

Wait, that sounds like a euphemism.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That was amazing!

I used to open up the closet door

I suspected as much.

Also I found it amusing that all the little notes are dressed up to indicate a particular genre of music, and then there's one that just says 'pop' above it.

I'll admit that I skipped through most of this, but I did notice that the program has a "jazzy" slider. My life needs a jazzy slider.

Wait, that sounds like a euphemism.

:innocent:

Hahaha this justifies the entire existence of this software.

I personally am glad I was alerted to the joy of jazzy sliders.