ThunderPeel2001

What... The... Fuck...???

Even if the idea was well intentioned (which is doubtful) I just don't understand how anyone could think this would never be used for insidious purposes. All it would take is one person to decide they're going abuse the system for their own gain.

Surely you have nothing to fear... unless you have something to hide?!?

I presume this is tongue in cheek. :deranged:

I had hoped the subtle use of question mark, exclamation mark, then question mark, would have given it away!

I wholly appreciate this development. :tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::clap::clap::clap::cens0red::cens0red::cens0red::cens0red::cens0red::cens0red::cens0red::cens0red:

Something I've found which means its newspapers going off the deep end.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090106-constable-hax0r-loose-in-the-uk-well-yes-and-no.html

Good find!

Even if the idea was well intentioned (which is doubtful) I just don't understand how anyone could think this would never be used for insidious purposes. All it would take is one person to decide they're going abuse the system for their own gain.

Not to mention that the same virus programs etc seeded by police could also be used by criminal hackers.

Holy blood hell, that was scary for a moment. Thanks for posting that! What's gotten into the press recently, then? Even the broadsheets are going crazy now??

Ugh.

Yeh it got me enraged for a while. Notice however, it's not ruled out for the future... :P

More seriously, I've just noticed that I missed an apostrophe in 'it's', and I can't correct said error ;(

As an aside, Peter Sommer [soma? :)] makes a good point - information gathered remotely will not be able to stand up in a court due to the rules governing the forensic acquisition of data. That's not to say that it couldn't be used as a reason to get a warrant to obtain such information forensically, but that's a different pot of eggs altogether.

Edited by Norfolk'n'Clue

For all the retardation of American broadcast journalism, I find the British print media even more depressing/troubling. Few things in the media bring up a stronger desire to start a big bout of face punching than the shit that ends up in UK newspapers. It feels like the entire UK has been swept up in this wave of mass desire to be scandalized by stuff... a need to find stupid shit to blow out of proportion and act bothered about, leading to 1) bullshit reporting, 2) hilariously overwrought surveillance and institutionalized snitching. It's weird to me! We just love Jesus and bombs, and hate the gay over here.

I think the rabble rousing of the print media here is a reaction to their struggle to stay alive in the internet age. I rarely buy the guardian now (partly as it's not that good any more) but also as I can pretty much read the entire paper for free online.

It's really a shame to see this from the independent. I'd expect this from the Guardian or the Times but the I'd always thought of the Independent as the UKs last bastion of good journalism.

I suspect Ginger is right about the papers trying to stay profitable in the age of the internet. They need to appeal to a broader audience to keep circulation up and overblown shite like this is the result.

That said I still don't like the idea that a police chief can authorise intrusive surveillance on a whim even if it's not new. Does anyone know if there is there a clear legal definition for what qualifies as a "serious crime" in this country?

I have no idea really. Neither would surprise me.

It's real. I wouldn't care otherwise.

Wait, that poster's real? It's so evocotive of 1984 I thought it was satire :eek:

Holy shit it's real. I just looked it up and found some blog posts from people who got their own by calling up the transportation department or whatever government agency produced it.