miffy495

Fallout 3

For the WHOLE town to immediately come running with guns out to try and kill me because I opened a door that wasn't even locked? I didn't kick it in (knowingly, at least). I certainly didn't pick the lock. As far as I'm concerned, I simply turned the door handle! As a gameplay issue it's pretty shoddy if you ask me, especially since it was an accident -- a gamer's honest mistake.

There's not a "kick door in" option, it's just "open door". Except this door: "Whoops! you've opened a door that you weren't allow to open and the whole town knows about it! They're all coming to kill you right now."

It's all a bit weird, but thankfully, since I resolved it, it's not gonna spoil my enjoyment or anything. I'm just going to be extremely careful in the future! But I am surprised no-one else has encountered/been annoyed by this. (It feels like a bit of an Oblivion-ism, if you will.)

Clawing at the vagaries of "implied design" for a moment...

You could counter-argue that the residents are all deeply suspicious and want to protect what little civilisation they have left. Especially given the near-total inhospitability of the Capitol Wasteland outside the walls of Megaton. Therefore they'll immediately rally against anything that threatens their sanctuary and current way of life.

In reality, yes, this is just the computer changing a setting for all local characters to "attack mode" and having at it. But F3's mechanics are such that if something's description text is red, it's not yours and there will be consequences if you mess with or take it.

I can't offer any more without being unnecessarily patronising and subsequently being perceived as antagonistic. :getmecoat

But I am surprised no-one else has encountered/been annoyed by this. (It feels like a bit of an Oblivion-ism, if you will.)

I'm with you, that armory annoyed me as well. Especially as I think no one saw me entering. There are a few more places like that in the rest of the game, but not that many. For example, there is a "red" door in Grayditch that doesn't incur a Karma penalty, and you are actually somewhat expected to go through it.

Occasionally in someones home, most items are "red", but suddenly one or two items are "green".

Were you in stealth mode? If not then I think everyone in the area can 'hear' what you are doing :P

I'vre just realised that I never got around to gaining entry to the armoury. I think I assumed that at some point the sherrif would hand me the key along with a "well done" and a "go knock yourself out".

Was there phat lewtz?

Were you in stealth mode? If not then I think everyone in the area can "hear" what you are doing :P

Oh, you're right, didn't think of that. Still annoyed me though.

Even when you're not in stealth mode and trotting around someone's house, some things can be "safe" amongst a sea of not-safe items.

For example: there's an audio recording in the Megaton doctor's hut which you can take, whilst everything else in there is flagged.

In reality, yes, this is just the computer changing a setting for all local characters to "attack mode" and having at it. But F3's mechanics are such that if something's description text is red, it's not yours and there will be consequences if you mess with or take it.

I DO understand the red/green thing and had been strictly adhering to it through my game... but it was just an accident! Also, if want to put some spin onto it... all I did was open an unlocked door. In Real Life I would have been able to explain my actions, at least. I was unarmed and not even fighting back, but still they kept pummelling me... the basts.

Anyway, I've spoken to two other people who had the same problem and ended up re-loading an old savegame, so at least it's not just me :)

I seem to remember Oblivion giving you a warning the first time you were about to do something illegal...?

Were you in stealth mode? If not then I think everyone in the area can 'hear' what you are doing :P

Actually, being in stealth wouldn't help as there's a giant killer robot lurking inside, waiting for anyone to break in open the door.

Stealth was broken in the original Oblivion, and from what I tried of it in Fallout it doesn't seem much better. I can look at a locked door on the second floor of a house for example and people a floor below will suddenly chime in telling me "It's locked for a reason you know!" It's as if they have super-duper-senses.

And just going into stealth mode doesn't guarantee you'll remain hidden for the duration of the action. There are hidden dice rolls that'll expose you without a moments thought. It's a little jarring considering it's played as a first person shooter.

Oh and don't play Mirrors Edge before Fallout 3. Those splashes of red colouring will confuse you no end ;)

Speaking of bad karma. I've playing with 2 characters at the moment. One is miss goody 2 shoes and the other is a murdering bitch. I methodically killed everyone in Megaton as soon as I was able to arm the bomb and then I robbed their corpes phat lewt indeed!.

And after that I went over to tenpenny tower. Got to blow up a massacred megaton and then murdered every single person in tenpenny tower. I also cleaned up the outcast brotherhood people. Got a gatling laser! And some other fancy stuff. I'm currently in front of the citaldel where I'm trying to kill the guards. But I'm low on health and have no more stimpacks :/

Yep, I guess I'm going to avoid stealthy tactics. It's a shame there's still some Oblivion in there after such a slick opening. Still loving the game world, though :tup:

I dunno, stealth is very useful for sniping, due to the damage bonus. If you get hold of a sniper rifle then even early on you can take out half a reaper camp before they pinpoint your position.

Plus there is the Mr Sandman perk, which I never got but sounds like fun.

I have been looking for some official word on this, but I can't find out if the Steam version of FO3 has any problems with other installed software. I get the impression it may only be the installer on the retail version that does this, but I want to be sure before I shell out for the Steam version. Has anyone come across a definitive source on this?

I'm sure I already answered this(?). FO3 is DRM free on Steam. As for the "incompatible software found", even on the retail version this is easy to avoid: Just click on setup.exe and it skips the check.

Once it's installed it keeps an eye out for any virtual DVD drives when you load the game and won't boot if it finds any... Unless you cloak them, or use the alternate official Launcher, it which case it works perfectly (or of course, simply run the game from the original DVD).

Just to admit something a little shady: I borrowed a friend's copy and when he decided he wanted it back I ordered my own... but I wanted to play it that evening. As I technically own a copy (it's sitting in a post office somewhere) I didn't feel too bad trying to get it working. I'd like to just point out that it was unbelievably easy to get working without the DVD in the drive. I was shocked. You have to wonder why they even bother with SecuROM at all.

EDIT: I suppose it makes it harder for people to download a version(?).

I seriously doubt you will have any problems to be honest :tup:

Bethesda didn't use securom to its full extent, though even if they had a crack would be easy to come by and they work for both STEAM and non-STEAM versions.

Seriously enjoying this! :tup: I'm only level 3, but I've already taken out two super-mutants and a claw thing. Just at Arfu (or whatever it's called). Not much of a town (four huts on a bridge?) but the game is soooo nice to look at.

I'm still waiting for my key to unlock Windows LIVE functionality... I hope it keeps track of my achievements in the meantime ;(

I'm still waiting for my key to unlock Windows LIVE functionality... I hope it keeps track of my achievements in the meantime ;(

Nope, and you have separate saves for online/offline.

*phew* Thankfully you're only half right. Just copy your saves into your gamertag saves directory and you can continue with them (and pick up any achievements you unlock along the way) :tup:

Also, I was reading the manual last night and guess what... You CAN try and "talk your way out of an attack" by holding R and holstering your weapon. Thank god for that! Looks like the uproar surround me opening the door to the armoury could have been avoided after all!

As a side note: Has anyone found themselves getting stuck in the scenery? I managed to do it almost three times last time I played... :hmph:

Has anyone found themselves getting stuck in the scenery? I managed to do it almost three times last time I played... :hmph:

Only when I've tried to jump up very lumpy irregular surfaces, like rocky outcroppings and such. You can still get up those, out in the wasteland at least; by pumping jump fairly quickly you can effectively 'hop' up the steeper uneven surfaces.

Yikes! Freaky profile image. They Live, right?

Tis, but I've not actually seen the whole film. Was very impressed with a clip I watched of it earlier today, however.