Jake

Far Cry 2

Thread resurrection!

This should be pinned anyway. So I've been playing this again. Man, this game. Having played it through on the PS3 first, playing it now on a PC at Full HD resolution and very high settings makes a huge difference. This is my benchmark for whether an FPS interests me or not. I stopped playing Black Mesa after the test because going down a corridor just didn't pull me. I love HL2, but the greatest bits are the ones that feel like Far Cry 2.

post-6685-0-69292000-1348646669_thumb.jpg

I was thinking about Far Cry 2 last night. I wanted to post in here but thought resurrecting this threat would be a little bold. I have a strong memory of infiltrating a village couched in dense forest on all sides and flanked by cliffs. I got in undetected to retrieve a suitcase but on the way out I was spotted. Not fancying my chances against an entire village of angry men with guns, armed with a dart gun, MP5 and Molotovs, I decided running into the forest would be my best hope. With tracers flying past my head I sprinted into the cover of the trees. Still panicked and convinced I wouldn't be able to make it back to my Jeep turned to face my perusers and tossed my Molotovs across the narrowest point in the valley. The vegetation burst into flames forming a wall of flames allowing me to reach my Jeep unscathed.

It's a memory which comes to me now and then, maybe because at the time I was reminded of playing manhunt in the woods as a child.

My Far Cry 2 terrorism continues!

post-6685-0-16265500-1348917426_thumb.jpg

I suppose some people criticized the 'drab' graphics, but it's how grounded they are that pulls me into the game world.

Been replaying this again. The fast and low speech really works. Makes me want to listen to what people are saying, whereas, in most games, I'm waiting for someone to stop talking so I can go do something.

Been replaying this again. The fast and low speech really works. Makes me want to listen to what people are saying, whereas, in most games, I'm waiting for someone to stop talking so I can go do something.

RPS's John Walker likes to criticise the voice acting but I think it really fits the world. Everybody sounds paranoid and uneasy, which is fair enough considering their life expectancy. I also think it help the Jewish character (I forget his name) stand out as having retained more of his humanity than the people around him.

I've just started replaying the game and I'm having a fantastic time. It still looks exquisitely artistically consistent, a trait which I feel will give the graphics greater longevity than its contemporaries.

I had some more lovely times in Far Cry 2. I swear, even though I've finished this game once, that I had never seen this car type before:

post-6685-0-04062800-1349361395_thumb.jpg

The gun on it was different, it fired slower and sounded like it had a larger caliber. I don't think it was better than the other one, though. The car seemed to shield me from damage pretty well.

Unfortunately, it didn't take long for me to accidentally torch it.

post-6685-0-83217100-1349361404_thumb.jpg

Wow, I've played through it 3 times and I have also never seen that car (almost certain). Could it be from a DLC?

Lol at the not taking long to wreck it!

weird, like that vehicle was always at every other bandit-checkpoint for me.

I've got the gold edition with the DLC though, maybe that's why.

Also:

FKtL7.jpg

Yeah, it could definitely be a DLC thing, since I didn't have it when I first played through the game.

That truck is DLC, yes. Also DLC is the wonderful exploding crossbow, which you should get pronto.

That truck is DLC, yes. Also DLC is the wonderful exploding crossbow, which you should get pronto.

Not a fan of that crossbow, as it's game-breaking. There are some missions early on that assume you don't have explosive weaponry yet, and become a piece of cake if you do.

Agreed. It's this ridiculous silent bazooka. I've been using it since I'm replaying the game, but if I had that the first time around, it would have hurt the experience.

I use it exclusively on Panther Jeeps, the ones that spring suddenly from the undergrowth to attempt to make you a hood ornament.

I use it exclusively on Panther Jeeps, the ones that spring suddenly from the undergrowth to attempt to make you a hood ornament.

those buggars' are up there with Black Headcrabs of "gaming sounds that freak me out".

Persistantly non digetic, end up panic-sprinting to cover when i hear them rev.

post-6685-0-34351700-1349863303_thumb.jpg

post-6685-0-67079200-1349863313_thumb.jpg

Playing this the second time around feels surprisingly fresh. There's so much interesting terrain that it doesn't feel like I'm just treading old ground. I love the AI barks when they don't know where you are. Bravado with a good dose of confusion and fear.

You guys are really making me want to forget I played and hated the demo, and give it another go. ;(

Playing this the second time around feels surprisingly fresh. There's so much interesting terrain that it doesn't feel like I'm just treading old ground. I love the AI barks when they don't know where you are. Bravado with a good dose of confusion and fear.

Same here, that is so true.

Nice night shot btw.

Also, action:

Bjm9K.jpg

Was just playing this again today, though I put it on the highest difficulty and quickly regretted that decision. Remarkable game, was weird hearing Chris Remo echo many of the same thoughts I had about the game when I was going through old episodes of the podcast. Specifically, he mentioned "No Country for Old Men" in relation to the tracking device and also stopped to admire the amazing sunsets one morning in the game. Really extraordinary game, really sad they seem to have deviated so far from this game's example for Far Cry 3. Less is more seems to apply to cutscenes in a lot of cases (despite my admiration of some Metal Gear games, which I'd almost classify as some weird film/game hybrid rather than a "true" Video game). That previous thought is underbaked, please don't judge it too harshly if you're a passionate MGS fan.

Yeah, I've tried the highest difficulty and it's a bit too much. Snipers are tough enough on Hardcore, but on the highest difficulty they can almost one shot you.

Far Cry 2 was essentially a drink driving simulator for me. I would normally only play while/after having a few (or few too many) drinks and I would always end up trying to drive while checking my map (looking down at the map then back up quickly to check the road) and end up hitting a tree or uncontrollably barrelling down a hill into the water.

Far Cry 2, don't drink and drive.

that sounds like a rough way to play. how did you not get motion sickness.

also:

GHZqK.jpg

A few beers definitely makes an interesting Far Cry 2 experience. An extra level of chaos and unpredictability.