Scrobbs

World of Goo

Obsessive Completion Distinction criteria. 'Rescue X number of goo balls' for example. It's under the 'Esc' menu ingame.

Thanks. For some reason I had never opened that menu. Trying to get OCD on all levels is exactly the extra motivation I needed to try to get more goo balls for my tower.

[edit] unfortunately, I seem to be unable to play any games on my PC as my processor is fucking overheating all the time. I blame global warming!

I had this a while back. Take it to bits and blow the dust out of the heat sink. It makes a massive difference! Make sure you have some arctic silver about though!

I had this a while back. Take it to bits and blow the dust out of the heat sink. It makes a massive difference! Make sure you have some arctic silver about though!

Yeah, I plan to do that... once I get past my lazyness :)

Meanwhile, I was able to play a little bit, but for some reason the game didn't let me use any more extra goo balls in the tower of goo. I gained something like 18 extra balls, but when I got to the tower, I had exactly 300 -- as much as the last time. There doesn't seem to be a cap on 300 though as I've seen some clouds state higher numbers (not used balls, but available ones).

It's so goo-d! :D

I've been playing it at work during my lunch time. I get withdrawal symptoms from it when I'm at home, which is probably why I'm posting this reply right now. :shifty:

I know the guys who made the game; one of them (Kyle, the designer) went to my grad school and that's where Tower of Goo was created. Actually, it was Tower of Goo that led me into that grad program.

Oh, and look if Tim Schafer likes it, then it's awesome!

http://www.doublefine.com/news.php/site/comments/proper_technique_for_holding_babies_while_playing_world_of_goo/

I was torn as to what to get this for, that is until I saw that the Wii version is $5 cheaper. The budget-conscious student in my decided the Wii was the way to go. So I buy some Wii points, spend 1500 of them on the game, and get halfway through the download when the Wii Shop channel crashes. Now when I try to log on it says it's "down for maintenance." GRAH! Gotta wait til it's back up to get my damn game now and see what everyone is talking about...

Well, I figured I'd try the Wii Shop thing one last time before bed. Surprise! It worked, and I'm now going to bed 2 hours later than I intended to. Whups. Great game though...

Yay, after dusting it and replacing the thermal paste, the temperature is down 15 C when idling (about 45 C) and barely goes up any more. It used to go up to 90 C and more during gaming :)

Yeah, this is an incredible game. I'm only on the 2nd world, but the level where

you have to go over the giant windmill

is awe-inspiring.

What is this 6 moon levels thing?

And Jonathan Blow, please give us PC users Braid!

And Jonathan Blow, please give us PC users Braid!

It's on the way. I think plenty of people got preview code on PC, and I'm supposed to be getting some for the indie arcade. No idea when it'll be released though I'm afraid.

It's a good game, but I'm afraid I'm not man enough for it : I can't get past the level in the demo that features a gap with water at the bottom and razor sharp teeth(?) at the top. And it's only the demo, so I'm not sure I'll enjoy the full game, if it's even more difficult than that.

That one was sorta tricky, but once you work out your balloon technique it's not too bad. The one I got screwed on for a long time was the second-last part of chapter one where you must build a tower of goo to a pipe up in the sky. I get that this is a throwback to their earlier game and all, but I never played that and figuring out a way to build that high without collapsing took me forever.

Damn, some of the OCD-s are really hard. I'm finding it difficult to get more than half of them in the first chapter.

It's a good game, but I'm afraid I'm not man enough for it : I can't get past the level in the demo that features a gap with water at the bottom and razor sharp teeth(?) at the top. And it's only the demo, so I'm not sure I'll enjoy the full game, if it's even more difficult than that.
It's just really about finding the rhythm of not attaching too many balloons at once and not linking too many goos at once. One goo, one balloon, one goo, one balloon. Or whatever. That was one of the trickiest ones for me so far.

Just finished it. Definately the best game I've played in a good long while.

Is is worth bothering to build a tower in the World of Goo Corporation headquarters? Do you actually reach something exciting? (I'm crap at building tall towers that don't fall over)

My one major frustration (in the vane hope that the developers are going around to forums to get feedback for a sequel) is that once you get enough goos to finish a level, the undo-flies disappear, which makes OCDing bloody impossible in some parts.

Most of you might have read it already, I guess, but fuck, I mean FUCK, a piracy rate of 90%. Like in, just one out of ten bought the game. Okay, PC-gaming can go to hell, gamers deserve no better.

(On a sidenote: there is some decency going on in the comments on the torrent-sites; people make a plea for buying the game.)

Edit: Another thing that bugs me about this, are the discussions about whether the 90-number is too high because of dynamic-IP, or what-the-fuck. Yeah, it has some importance, it is nice that they cleared it up a little, but, as one of the RPS-guys put it: 'This is like standing over a corpse and thinking the most important thing to argue about is whether its bled 5 pints or only 4.'

Edited by castorp

Most of you might have read it already, I guess, but fuck, I mean FUCK, a piracy rate of 90%. Like in, just one out of ten bought the game. Okay, PC-gaming can go to hell, gamers deserve no better.

(On a sidenote: there is some decency going on in the comments on the torrent-sites; people make a plea for buying the game.)

Edit: Another thing that bugs me about this, are the discussions about whether the 90-number is too high because of dynamic-IP, or what-the-fuck. Yeah, it has some importance, it is nice that they cleared it up a little, but, as one of the RPS-guys put it: 'This is like standing over a corpse and thinking the most important thing to argue about is whether its bled 5 pints or only 4.'

Pirates don't give a damn and they never will unfortunately...;(

But what the piracy rate of other games? Do we know it?:erm:

I think the piracy rate of any game is around that figure: 90%. But I also think of those 90% maybe 2% represent lost sales. So it may sound very grim and sad, the actual lost sales aren't that bad I think. You could see it as some kind of promotion.

I think the piracy rate of any game is around that figure: 90%. But I also think of those 90% maybe 2% represent lost sales. So it may sound very grim and sad, the actual lost sales aren't that bad I think. You could see it as some kind of promotion.
I used to think the same when hearing some big company marketing goon justify the use of DRM while kind of criminalizing all gamers. Yeah, nice dramatic numbers, but those aren't sales.

But, and maybe in this case especially, this train of thought is deeply flawed. You might be right in saying only two percent would have bought it anyway, but that is because there is piracy and thus the possibility to play games without buying them in the first place. It only is true because one has to rightfully assume that pirates wouldn't buy most of the games they couldn't pirate. If it’s not pirateable they just play something else that is.

I think the number of lost sales is not the ominous number of people who would have bought it if they had to, but more rightfully the number of people who pirated, played and enjoyed it (and then not bought it). Or, even more rightfully, the number of pirate-people who where intrigued enough to play it and find out whether they like it or not. Just the thought of someone, who played the game till the end, thinking 'A nice game, but not 20 Dollar nice. Good and just I didn't pay for it.' makes me aggressive.

Mh, I have problems to make my point, but hopefully it's not totally lost.

(And I do hope too, that some of the pirates buy it in the end.)

Castor, your tone and the tone of the piece from 2D boy are totally different. They are writing it as if it's expected and you're raging against piracy. I don't understand.

Castor, your tone and the tone of the piece from 2D boy are totally different. They are writing it as if it's expected and you're raging against piracy. I don't understand.

2D Boy can't rage against it, or they'll be vilified by the righteous, entitled PC gaming community. Castorp has no such responsibilities, he can simply speak to how astonishingly shitty and disgraceful a situation it is.

Yeah, I sometimes don't understand too. Like right now. Just because it's normal, because they expected it, doesn't mean I can't blindly rage a fair bit. Fuck piracy! See, honest rage. I mean, 90% piracy is bad. And sometimes bad things, and the stupid and mean people doing the bad things bring out the worst in me. Fuck stupid people! See, I can't help it.

Now I take off the sarcasm-hat.

Oh, and it's Castorp.