miffy495

iPhone/iTouch gaming

Sworcery looks nice so far. The Eurogamer review someone linked to on Twitter [edit: linky] wasn't very encouraging, but I got it anyway. But considering the review, better not to give the game your twitter credentials. I've played for 15 minutes so far, so too early to tell if it's good.

Did anyone ever play GTA: Chinatown Wars on an iOS device? I'm thinking about picking it up for the iPhone as I've heard great things about the DS version but don't own a DS.

Did anyone ever play GTA: Chinatown Wars on an iOS device? I'm thinking about picking it up for the iPhone as I've heard great things about the DS version but don't own a DS.

I played a little bit of it... a solid version of the game. I actually like the controls more than the DS version, but that's just me.

Ahh, it depresses me greatly that the id Software games are not for Android.

They put all Wolfenstein and Doom games on discount now during Quakecon.

I mentioned this in the Eurogamer Expo thread, but I figured if I'm going to shamelessly pimp my shit, I might as well do it right. :tup:

Orbit1 is a "hyper-competitive multiplayer game played with just one button". The neat part is that it's played with the iPad laid flat on the table, board game style. It works best with more (up to four) friends huddled around the iPad, leading to all the competitiveness, laughing, yelling and swearing you'd expect. Good, wholesome, family fun. :)

Best part: It's totally free, no strings attached. As in, no ads and no in-app purchases.

App Store link, screenshots, and trailer/video:

http://www.caffeinemonstersoftware.com/orbit1

Enjoy :)

I've just bought Quarrel. It's a mixture of scrabble and risk, and suprisingly addictive.

I will check yours out too Sin, in a wee while.

[Edit] Haha! "It's a little bit like hockey, eh?"

Saw that and had to check, knowing that you were from Cananananananda.

Man I love that country.

What miffy said. Also, sorry for not replying sooner. I'm legally required by Canadian law to apologise for everything.

It's funny you mention it though. I had a fairly straight-faced description written for the longest time. But I wanted to get across how competitive the game really is, and it's a difficult thing to do. I mean, "Feature: mind blowingly competitive!" (--ign.com?) doesn't exactly cut it. So at 2am a night or two before Orbit1 went live, I just started typing whatever nonsense was in my head (uhhh, also while brushing my teeth). And I dunno, it all came together really nicely. After reading it all over, I was like, "man, that's just like watching hockey!" and that was that :)

In more game-y news, I'd love to hear what you lot think if you've downloaded it. Also, I'd really appreciate some written reviews on the AppStore. I've got tonnes (tonnes!) of downloads, and lots of stars (yay!) but not many written reviews.

Sorry for all the self-pimping. (see legal requirement above)

Cheers,

Mo

I picked up Death Rally again... played it a little bit when it first came out but burned out on it quickly. I started it up again and after playing for about an hour, decided to pay $1 for some DLC that unlocked some items/cars and boost cash rewards. Now that I have a steady flow of cash, I can actually have some upgraded cars which makes the game great. I actually finished a race earlier today by destroying every other car on the track, which was both a miracle and super fun. All in all, a great isometric racing game for iOS and well worth the money if you can get into it long enough to upgrade cars/weapons to a reasonable level.

I just installed King of Dragon Pass on my iPhone!

I'm excited. I've heard that the original PC(?) game is a really good one, played a demo or something some time ago, but can't remember why I didn't get the whole game. Anyway, since our office moved to a place where I can easily commute instead of driving, I'm hoping this will make my bus rides more pleasant.

I think this would actually be more suitable for iPad, but apparently the original game's artwork resolution is too sucky for that :(

That game sounds interesting, unfortunately it also seems weird enough that no one can really give me a good idea of what it is. Since it's £7 (€8, $11) I don't really want to invest so much in something I don't understand.

That game sounds interesting, unfortunately it also seems weird enough that no one can really give me a good idea of what it is. Since it's £7 (€8, $11) I don't really want to invest so much in something I don't understand.

Well it is pretty unique as far as I know. I think the genre is Strategy/RPG mix with a hint of interactive fiction? I haven't played long enough yet to describe it, but maybe a lets play on youtube helps?

Ok, I played some today (about 3 in-game years) and I'll take a stab at describing it.

It's a game where you mostly make decisions. There is basically two types of gameplay: (random?) events and navigating more strategy-game like menus to send out emissaries, traders or war parties.

In the latter you have separate screens for stuff like War, Farming, Trading, Magic etc. You can build temples; sacrifice for knowledge or blessings; recruit soldiers; send emissaries to neighbours to make up, make alliances, give gifts; send parties to raid other clans; send traders to establish new trade routes or just do a one-time deal; and so on and so on.

The Events seem random, but I don't know how random exactly they are. They all have a story, like some neighbour's thanes extracting revenge on one of your farmers, or an outcast seeking shelter in your village, or an enemy clan raiding you for cattle, etc. etc. Each event gives you choices how to handle it. There are usually at least 4-5 choices, sometimes 2-3 sets of them in a row.

Both of these modes make use of your clan ring, a council of 7 advisors, each with different skills and backgrounds. They each have their own agendas and their advice is often in conflict with other council members, so you still have to weigh the options yourself, but they are still helpful by informing you of the consequences of choices.

The advisors and I guess ordinary people as well all have some stats, which is the RPG-ish element here I believe. But there aren't much numbers in the game, except for counting your resources, all the other stats are usually measured in words like 'good', 'excellent', 'twice', 'some' etc.

And all of this is accompanied by some nice-looking artwork.

Some negative points: the amount of possibilities makes it hard to get into it. The help text is not easily navigable from where you want to access it, you usually have to go to the menu and access the manual index, and the menu button isn't even avilable every screen. I still haven't figured out how the Heroquests work, which seems like something I need to do. The quest my advisors want me to do is locked and I don't know how to unlock it.

Apparently the manual is quite important, and clocks in at 64 pages, insane by today's standards!

I found a copy here, though it isn't the greatest quality. You should still be able to make out the words enough to check it for things like Hero Quests though.

Still considering buying but still not sure, footage of it suggests, as you said, that it's kind of a mass of menus without much information. I don't know if my ideal mobile game is one that I need to constantly refer to a manual for.

Still considering buying but still not sure, footage of it suggests, as you said, that it's kind of a mass of menus without much information. I don't know if my ideal mobile game is one that I need to constantly refer to a manual for.

Actually, I haven't needed the manual that often. Usually the advisors/screens give enough information to make most decisions. But the deeper you go into it, the more you find buttons that you're not quite sure about what they do.