Sign in to follow this  
n0wak

So...

I just blew a massive wad on a super top-of-the line camera a day before I quit my job (just now!) and am now considering selling all my stuff and moving to the UK. How's your day been?

I got canned for being too liked by the staff because the new higher-ups at work are trying to rule by fear and get rid of the people who don't do that. A week after buying a new iPod Touch. And right before exams hit.

Not kidding, told I was an amazing projectionist (something that is getting rarer and rarer these days) but that my management style just wasn't fitting with what they were trying to accomplish. All the work got done, and fast, but people were just laughing and joking around too much while they were doing it. Kinda glad I'm gone if that's what they want to take away from the place.

that's a serious fashion choice......

i used soup mix instead of lentils in my soup for dinner and it didnt turn out very well. that' the worst thing that happened to me today. surprisingly good monday!

I bought an expensive bottle of whiskey, cleaned my bathroom and then drank some whiskey to forget.

As is my job. My only regret though is that I've been unemployed for almost a week now and I still haven't been drunk and smelly yet. It's something I have to do before I get a new job, just so I can know I've done it.

I overslept becausr of the clocks changing to British Summer TIme, so I was late to Art college and got caught trying to sneak in to class. After that I got a lot of work done though.

Then when I got home I got a call from a friend who runs a pub, asking me to cover for somene who didn't tuen up. Turns out tonight is the first night back for all the uni students so we were really fucking busy and I've only just got home :P

But I feel knackered in a "job well done" kind of way so I am happy.

Now to see if I will wake up on time tomorrow morning...

edit: I also lost my phone. It wasn't an iPhone. It my a myPhone.

Man sorry to hear everyone is having such a bad time.

Nowak what part of the Uk u planning on coming to? (avoid the north by which i mean anything above London and west of reading.)

I had a really unproductive day trying to figure out why an evolution of an algorithm I wrote lost 4 orders of accuracy and then went and got pissed at a whisky tasting where I had some really lovely Whiskys.

Miffy I know it is probably not worth it but have u considered legal action or contacting your union about being fired, their reason for firing u seems quite dodgy (not sure what the labour laws are like in Canada but over here u'd have a case)

That all sucks, and I'm sorry to hear it :-(

I got a stomach bug last week, and woke up in the middle of the first night vomiting. It massacred my digestive tract and until Sunday I couldn't eat anything without feeling sick and swelling up due to massive amounts of stubborn gas squatting in my belly.

All better now though.

I had a really unproductive day trying to figure out why an evolution of an algorithm I wrote lost 4 orders of accuracy and then went and got pissed at a whisky tasting where I had some really lovely Whiskys.

Did the algorithm enjoy the whiskys as much as you did?

I woke up on time today, but I felt like the walking dead.

My work email got switched to gmail recently. This morning I find my IMAP client can't login, the mail section of the web pages just says "information unavailable" and finally, after hunting and pecking in domain admin and finding a direct link to my inbox, I'm told:

We’re currently performing maintenance on your account. You won’t be able to log in while maintenance is underway, but your account data and messages are safe. Unfortunately, we can’t predict exactly how long this will take.

If this maintenance lasts more than 24 hours, please contact us at [email protected].

This is pretty much the most non-user friendly thing that has ever happened to me in 12 years of using email. Tech support send out canned responses that don't answer my questions. Some of the top results in google for other people who've encountered this show their email has been offline for 14 days or so.

FUCKING CUNTS.

Miffy I know it is probably not worth it but have u considered legal action or contacting your union about being fired, their reason for firing u seems quite dodgy (not sure what the labour laws are like in Canada but over here u'd have a case)

Unfortunately in Calgary the projectionist's union ceased to exist about 3 years before I became one, so that's out. As for the legal action, it's really not worth it, especially as, the place being a VERY unorganized art-house, it'd mostly be my word (and probably the word of a bunch of employees) against theirs. As I said, with the way the atmosphere had become around there, I don't really mind all that much. Plenty of work out there, and now I can focus on my exams for a bit.

Unfortunately in Calgary the projectionist's union ceased to exist about 3 years before I became one, so that's out. As for the legal action, it's really not worth it, especially as, the place being a VERY unorganized art-house, it'd mostly be my word (and probably the word of a bunch of employees) against theirs. As I said, with the way the atmosphere had become around there, I don't really mind all that much. Plenty of work out there, and now I can focus on my exams for a bit.

Yes but it's the principle isn't it? Besides the fact that you would get money out of it without having to work, these people obviously need training to teach them not to be such cunts. It's a pavlovian thing, like with dogs and children and other dumb animals. Act nice = reward; act cunty = punishment. By not punishing them you are making the world a worse place :(

Seriously, I know at least two people that have taken their ex-employers to work tribunal and won easily. Sue the bastards.

It's actually already come back to bite them in the ass. Quite a few people are leaving right now, meaning they're panicking to find anyone capable of running the projector. Those who haven't left have told me in private that they're planning to leave together two weeks before the Calgary International Film Festival. Given that this theater is one of three in the city that host it, they'll be completely screwed. It's a little petty, how much I'm enjoying this, but karma's a bitch. Besides, there's another theater half the distance from my house that's run entirely by friends of mine. I really don't have a lot to worry about, and these cunts are getting theirs already. That's one of the main reasons I'm not really fussed about suing.

EDIT: And congrats on the new iPhone, Yufster. Still not available in Canada, but my iPod touch is very shiny and I understand the phone is the same thing but much shinier.

Have a cracking hangover after drinking Kamenitza (cheap local beer) all night.

I'm trying to book a train to Bucharest, buy a bunch of extra clothes I need and not fall asleep (it is 10AM and I already want to go back to bed).

Other than that I'm having a right old laugh.