Scrobbs

Got $6million spare?

In all fairness, it's probably great if you're a multi-millionaire. :tup: I'm guessing there is simply no finer home audio-visual experience, and it's probably better than a lot of cinemas too. And you know films are at their best at the cinema.

I'd definitely want all the lights dimming to make the room dark like a cinema though, with floor lights so you don't go stumbling all over the $1000-a-piece equipment.

I'd be more than happy with an equivalent screen and a fraction of the speakers. :getmecoat

Why is it retarded shit? I know nothing about sound-related stuff, so I totally can't judge it. Except that $6 million and all that effort and clutter for a personal set-up jammed inbetween two bookcases seems more than a little excessive...

But then, if I was really really stinking stupid rich and sound was my thing, I guess I would totally do that. But I'm not, so I'd spend my $6 million on like... a swimming pool or stables or... a red squirrel sanctuary or a huge avery or an animal haven or traveling or buy holiday homes in amazing awesome countries and buying a pet lion and starting a game development studio and funding Tim Schafer to do whatever he wants and stuff like that.

$6 million, oh man, plz give me some of your cash dude ;(

It probably has amazing potential, but how will it ever reach the potential? None of the inputs he has connected to his setup can output 8.8 channel surround sound, nor can they come close to the resolution of his screen (the projector can't process HDCP so he can't even exceed 1080i).

I doubt I would personally be able to tell much difference between a few thousand pound sound system and his multi million sound system, and the general display / layout is hideous....

In conclusion, I would only take it if it was given to me and then I would sell the majority of the components :P

Woah... that's a lot of money. Looks cool though but to be honest, I'd much rather pay like £5 and just get into a proper cinema.

Thanks Eljay, that makes it pretty clear. Well that is a bit retarded then to say least, if what you say is true.

There are so many people in this world with so much money, yet so little sense. It pains me because I want their money. ;(

I'm a little confused here. Is this retarded and despicable because the material isn't actually worth 6 million, or because you personally wouldn't buy it yourselves and think it's a waste and he should give it to the poor?

In that last case, your judgements are disturbing and patronizing. Who cares what some millionaire spends his money on? He can afford it, he's worked hard for it. You deciding what you can't or shouldn't buy, now that's despicable.

But this is probably about the stuff not being worth 6m, in which case I'm sorry for the moral high ground on your moral high ground =)

In that last case, your judgements are disturbing and patronizing. Who cares what some millionaire spends his money on? He can afford it, he's worked hard for it. You deciding what you can't or shouldn't buy, now that's despicable.

But this is probably about the stuff not being worth 6m, in which case I'm sorry for the moral high ground on your moral high ground =)

Neither. I just think it's fucking hideous, were it 6 million or 6 thousand.

The labour and equipment that went into building that probably are worth 6m, but it probably only sounds a bit better than a low five figure system.

It's possibly retarded due to the amount of subs he has. That many subs of that size in a van = a minimum safe listening distance quite some way away from the van, plus all kinds of reinforcement to stop the van shaking itself apart. I suspect a system like the one above could do a lot of damage to people if they didn't know what they were doing with it, which makes a lot of the capacity it has redundant.

Rusalka's correct though

if I was really really stinking stupid rich and sound was my thing, I guess I would totally do that.

I doubt any of us could accurately say what we'd do and how we'd live if we were rich - what we want now, and what we'd do in that situation are probably quite different things.

It's retarded because a lot of that equipment isn't going to make a big difference to the sound or image quality (or at least not a difference that's worth millions). But more importantly it looks completely ridiculous. The guy who owns that shit shows he has no taste at all.

If you have that kind of money to spare at least buy something cool and stylish, not this circular installation of penises.

I doubt any of us could accurately say what we'd do and how we'd live if we were rich .

I'd have extra arms grafted onto my shoulders.

This raises a question : wouldn't it cost less to buy a 'small' multiplex and use one of its projection room as one of your own, or even better, turn it into a freakin' house?

But more importantly it looks completely ridiculous. The guy who owns that shit shows he has no taste at all.
Yeah, way to ruin a living room.

This guy is a professional. It looks stupid because it hasn't been rigged to look good, but for perfect acoustics. It's almost certainly not his living room either.

That sculpture on his table is fugly though.

I object to the waste of money on something like this but at least he isn't using it to have Thetans removed from his head or something.

This raises a question : wouldn't it cost less to buy a 'small' multiplex and use one of its projection room as one of your own, or even better, turn it into a freakin' house?

Actually, the theater I work for recently changed hands. It's a 12 story skyscraper with the bottom two floors occupied by a cinema on each. At 56 years, it's the second oldest cinema in the city and the oldest building over 10 stories, but everything has been kept up to date and the films look and sound fantastic. The top floor is a beautiful penthouse that looks over Calgary's downtown. The floors in between are commonly leased out as offices given our downtown location. Final sale price: 3 million dollars, Canadian. So yeah, you could have a full theater (two screens) with completely up to date projection equipment and live in a wonderful penthouse in the same building for about half that price.

On a completely unrelated note, when I first saw a picture of the set-up, I started picturing the type of people who would go ape-shit over it. I am so glad I kept on scrolling down and eventually discovered that I was completely right.

208great.6.jpg

I know exactly what I'd do with that kind of money.

When I'm rich (and after I've spent a lot of money on more useful things, or charity, or investments), I'm going to build myself a really cool house. Not a house that's super huge or impressive-looking, one that's actually of moderate size but full of cool stuff. I want underground tunnels, secret compartiments, a tower perhaps, no symmetry, and all sorts of areas that people could actually use to chill out or do stuff. I want a garden on the roof and a greenhouse built into the top floor. I want an inner courtyard patio that connects right into the living room. I want an attic with multiple levels connected by stairs or ladders.

And none of that Richard Garriot fantasy themepark nonsense, mind you. I'm thinking of an actual authentic house.

Also, when you go to the toilet I want jazz music to start playing. I was actually once in a student house where someone had rigged up the door to trigger a radio set to Jazz FM so maybe I should just get that done now and worry about the house later.

If you have that kind of money to spare at least buy something cool and stylish, not this circular installation of penises.

Hee. The saddest part is that he probably has already with his other millions. :~

Rich bastards. :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :spiraldy:

I'd love to get a cool little castle. France is full of them. Some big mansion. But what you describe, Marek, sounds great. I'd personally definitely go for a secret underground lair with a table with a revolving top showing a miniature of whatever strap of land was my current target.

In all seriousness, I'd go for a home theatre. Nothing like this guy has, but more along the lines of one of these.