Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

Need for Burnout: Paradise Lost

Anyone else horribly disappointed at how focus-group led this piece of shit would appear to be, from the demo at least? It distinctly reminds me of playing Need for Speed: Most Wanted, but with utterly predictable "multiplayer" thrown in for the hell of it.

Call me a bitter, jaded cynic, but I don't give a shit who's just pulled the longest handbrake turn in whatever random part of the available play area someone happens to be bumming around in at the time. What's the point? For a (principally) point-to-point racing game, Burnout: Paradise seems to be more about cock-waving than actually seeing who's the fastest from A to B. It also seems to be about griefing and generally being a complete dick.

I really can't see how the full game can be any better than this, except you get more pretty scenery to whizz past / fly over, along with more flash motors to do such in. The crash physics? Great and spectacular as always. But where's the soul, man? Burnout seemed to be about smashing as much of the bubbly black crap out of your opponents' vehicles as possible before you hit the finish line. Paradise's modus operandi would appear to be focussed on simulating late Wednesday night in the local McDonald's car park in Weston-super-Mare.

Ok I've only read the first line, but from what I read am I to take it that u are surpirssed that a burnout game is shit :P don't they bring one of those out every six months ¬¬

Burnout 2 (takedown was it?) was clearly the best, and each game since it has moved further away from what made it good. It begs the horrible supposition that even the developers don't know what it was that they did right before. Like the George Lucas of gaming maybe.

Takedown was 3. You couldn't crash opponents' cars in 2. I haven't played that one so I can't say if it's better than 3, but Revenge was inferior to 3.

Burnout games are my favourite racing games I have never played*. For some reason, however, I'm not at all interested in this latest game. Probably due to all that penis enlargement stuff..

*no PC version

3 was the best, but Revenge was fun. 2 was only good for Crash mode (IMO), which was the most "puzzle-y" (no aftertouch), but 3's Crash mode was my favorite.

All the previews I've seen/read say that Paradise is crazy fun, and way better than the demo. So...we'll see. But no Crash mode. :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:yeah some people like the new version of it

Burnout games are my favourite racing games I have never played*. For some reason, however, I'm not at all interested in this latest game. Probably due to all that penis enlargement stuff..

*no PC version

Yeah, apparently FlatOut is the PC equivalent, but I can't imagine it being better that Takedown. It will just always feel like a rip-off of the original.

Yeah tried the demo and it did nothing for me. I can only be thankful that they took out the 'feature' from Revenge which allowed you to smash any traffic going in the same direction as you.

3 was superb (albeit with some of the most horrific elastic band AI) with each new installment there seems to be more EA influence in them and I've pretty much given up on the franchise.

Flatout Ultimate carnage (the newest iteration of the Flatout series) is actually pretty satisfying, sure it rips off Burnout but it takes some of the best bits and on top of that it has some great mini games and destruction derby stuff.

I played FlatOut 2* extensively before Christmas, as part of the AWOMO beta, and loved it -- fantastic racing game! :yep:

I'd say definitely look at that before going anywhere near Burnout: Paradise. :(

* Ultimate Carnage is pretty much identical, except it's for consoles and has many more physics-influenced track baubles. Still great though.

* Ultimate Carnage is pretty much identical, except it's for consoles and has many more physics-influenced track baubles. Still great though.

Also includes the shittest design decision in a racing game ever: no split screen multiplayer.

*no PC version

Yeah, apprently the guys over at Citerion...well the lead designer Alex Ward doesn't like the PC, with it's so called "Complex" controls, stupid idea to not release Black only on consoles. :crazy:

Anyway, Burnout 3 was one of the very few games with my PS2 purchase where I went "Holy Shit!! How awsome is that!!!" and I think kinda got me back into gaming for a while. Revenge was kinda dissapointing, I didn't like how the crash events turned out, now the latest Burnout they pump out will divide people to what changes they like.