toblix

God of War

Cool game. Shame about being destroyed by an instant kill spell. What the fuck is up with this game and killing you for every little thing. Falling off edges, being hit while frozen... the list goes on (I would imagine).

Anyway, I liked it as far as I played it (I was fighting towards the big giant in the background), although doesn't it get tedious with the combat?

Not really. It keeps throwing in enough new attack moves, spells, enemies, environments, traps and puzzles to keep it varied.

Sounds like you were at the siege of Athens, about 1/3 of the way through. There's much cooler stuff later in the game. And then the sequal really does kick it up a notch.

Yeah, I sort of want to keep playing, but the instant death thing was just so lame, especially since I was kicked back to the beginning, so I have to go into all those houses and shit all over.

which instant death thing are you talking about? The medusas? Most of the really dangerous attacks can be avoided after a little learning. Just remember to roll like crazy :)

It is a pretty punishing game though, I guess.

Yeah, the medusas. I'd understand a big health loss, but instant death? Come on. Playing it becomes like gambling. The longer you play, the more of your precious time you've bet. And then wham, right before the next checkpoint, you're pulverized. That's the sort of shit they were doing in the early nineties.

If you're fast, you can break out of the statue before you're smashed, by waggling the sticks.

Oh man, the medusas (sorry, gorgons) in GoW 2 are even worse: some of them have instant "flash" gazes. Then you learn how to waggle a stick, let me tell you.

Yeah, but waggling only help if you're not right in front of an enemy about to strike you. I get it, I get it, I have to keep my distance when there's a chance I'll be frozen. It's just that being killed instantly, by an ordinary enemy... it's so heartless. So brutal.

I like tits in a game, though.

So I bought GoW2 when I picked up Guitar Hero 80s (figured as long as the PS2 was hooked up, I may as well finally play it) and had my first chance to play it today. Holy shit. Everything GoW was multiplied by about 50. So bloody good. When a boss fight has 3 save points in it, you know you're in for something epic. I'd just activated those giant stone horses when my nephews got back from the park with my sister and I had to switch back to Excite Truck. I can't wait until the kids are asleep and I can go back to it. Fantastic game, and the kills from when you're riding the pegasus are beautiful every time.

Hahaha miffy, glad you like it. You're in for more treats, believe me :)

I tried again, and didn't have any trouble getting further. Now I just got the Zeus power. What's the best way to get those spinning guys? It seems the best strategy is to block whenever they start the whirring, digging thing and then just attack when nobody's doing that, but that seems impossible to carry out when there are other enemies about too.

Also, I think it's pretty funny that, in addition to violently dismembering undead foes, tearing off the wings of bat-creatures and forcing your sword into the mouth of oxen beasts, you break all the vases for extra points.

Ah the wraiths. I hate those guys, especially on god difficulty. Yeah, blocking them while they spin is the safest way, and grappling them finishes them off nicely.

it's a fantastic game. any game that includes the line "come back to bed kratos" gets my vote. also he is strangely and enigmatically attractive.

I found the games to be quitegenerous with replay points, there are just a few really annoying ones, but once you get past them you realise why.

Stick with the game dude because after that part you are on, when you get to the titan, it gets really awesomer! except one part ¬¬ .... you can read more of my thoughts here so i won't go on and on hehe.

What's the best way to get those spinning guys?

which spinning guys? blocking is your friend generally, learn to use it well, of you use it at the right time you get bonus attacks and things i think ¬¬ the games are blending though so i cannot picture the spinny guys :)

just smash them all into bits.

I think he's talking about the jerks who pop in and out of the ground with the blades for hands. They were easily the toughest enemies in GoW, I seemed to recall grabbing them a lot whether they were nearly dead or not.

oh those jerks, yeah jump out of the way of them when they are underground and then grab them and headbut them to death

Try to get them and yourself in the air (worked with the heavy-attack-button, I think) and then grab them. This way you punch them to the ground whilst staying in the air yourself, they bounce back and you can repeat it, until they are dead.

This should work (but it's some time ago I played GoW, so I'm not too sure it worked with those guys as well...)

So, just finished GoW2. I gotta say, it's not every game that captivates me enough to plow through it in 3 sittings. I spent from 4:30 until about 10 enthralled right up to the credits. An admirable use of the only real day off I have until two weeks from now, if I may say so. Got a small problem with the game though. What the crap was with that cliffhanger? I mean, yeah. I'm hyped for GoW3 now, but are endings like that really all that wise for a video game? I can understand in movies when you film a movie and its sequel simultaneously and are sure you'll be able to finish the story, but now I have to wait several years to see what the hell happens to Kratos?

At least now I know what'll finally prompt me to get a PS3 whenever it comes out... :(

Heh, yeah, people must be getting sick of cliffhanger endings. For Kratos though, I don't think there will ever be an ending. He's one of those characters that will keep fighting for eternity. I mean how many times has he died now? Enough times. Even if he did end up in the depths of the river Lethe you can bet he'd be found smashing Charon's skull in with an oar, even if he didn't remember why.

you were there? Cool! What is it like living for such a long time? Did you have to swap your identity a lot? How many times did you pretend to be the long lost son of yourself?

I tell people I'm three thousand years old and mostly they just leave me alone after that.

I guess you're not allowed to play those boardgames that are rated "ages 8 to 80", huh?