Sign in to follow this  
BooJaka

Virtual Console Control

I'm preparing myself to buy a Wii so I have a small question to ask. I'm going to use it to play Wii games, Gamecube games and Virtual Console games pretty much equally at least at first but I don't know which controller is best to get for it: the Gamecube controller or the "Classic Controller".

Anyone had any problems or advantages which either one?

Far as I know, the GameCube controller works for all Virtual Console games. The Classic controller has the bonus of being wireless, sorta (connected to the remote). I've never tried it, but the Classic controller doesn't look very comfortable.

i had the classic controller, its a lot like the SNES controller.

not comfortable at all... I would recommend the GC controller.

Really? I love my classic controller. I think it's extremely comfortable. Maybe it's that I primarily play SNES games on VC, but I've gotten up to the water temple in OoT as well and find it very nice for that as well. My most recent plays have been DKC, DKC2, Super Mario World, Streets of Rage, and Gunstar Heroes. All of these play fantastically with the classic controller, and I've actually been thinking about picking up a second for my roommate to join me in coop Gunstar/Streets without one of us having to use the GCN controller.

I've tried using the GCN pad for games and have run into a couple of problems. The button config on GCN, for instance, doesn't allow for simultaneous running and jumping in SMW, as the buttons are spaced much too far apart.

Given that I'm the first person in this thread who actually likes the damn thing, I'd try and find a friend with one that you can try out to get a feel for it. I absolutely love mine, but if the general feeling is one of :tdown: or even :tmeh: you'll probably want more than my word for it.

You *can* play games with the GameCube Controller, but you can't reconfigure the buttons in nearly all cases, thus making it completely useless. I have one of those Hori SNES-style GameCube pads, and I was planning to use it for the Wii. Forget it. The buttons are all mapped wrong, it's like trying to drive a car using only your tongue.

Can you play Gamecube games with the Classic Controller or do you need the GCN one?

Haven't tried, but I believe that if you're playing a gamecube game, you need a gamecube controller for it. If you're playing VC, the classic or GCN may be used, but not if you're playing GCN in the first place.

You can't play GameCube games with the Classic Controller. The reason simply being that when the Wii plays GC games it becomes a GC, disabling all manner of Wii-functionality, ensuring maximum compatibility.

OK, as this is the only semi-active VC thread, I'm putting this here rather than making a new one.

*ahem*

HOW THE HELL HAD I NEVER PLAYED ACTRAISER BEFORE?

In fairness, the N64 arrived when I was 9, so I was a bit young to really appreciate my SNES days (Donkey Kong, Super Mario World, Mario Kart, and a whole lot of Street Fighter were pretty much all I ever cared about) but still. Shit. This ranks up there with Super Metroid and Earthbound (I eBayed them about a year ago and played Metroid for the first time[i'd played Earthbound before on an emulator. Shhhh... :shifty: ]) as one of those games that I can't believe I missed when they were around in the beginning. So good. So damned good.

Anyone else making VC discoveries that they're ashamed they'd missed out on the first time 'round?

Well when I get my Wii (which is possibly this Sunday...) I was going to make a "Must have VC games" thread like the PS2 one we had and... the other one (Gamecube?) but this looks as good an opportunity as any...

So, including the blindingly obvious, what should I spend any and all Wii points on?

Actraiser, the Donkey Kong Countries, Super Mario World, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage, any of the three Zeldas you may not have already played. Those are the essentials for me. They haven't released anything for N64 that isn't worth checking out yet, but as they're more expensive it's less of a "I should buy this!" and more a "I'd buy this if I didn't already own it." I'd never owned Mario Kart 64, for example, so that's the one I got.

Games which are fun, but less of a priority: The Bonk's Adventure series, Kirby's Adventure, Super Castlevania IV, Super Ghouls and Ghosts, and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. (mmm... addictive puzzler)

There are more, but consider the first paragraph to be the truly essential of the catalogue. I've been really loving the VC since the post-launch trickle of real games started. Definitely keeps giving me a reason to turn on the system even when I only actually have a game to play every couple of months.

I should get a damn controller that supports SNES. I've really enjoyed Military Madness, a TurboGrafx16 game. It's what the Advance Wars games are based on, though I guess it's not quite as deep. Still it's great fun.

That was quite good, although the AI kept on kicking my ass and I got frustrated with it. This despite the fact that I've completed all of the Advance Wars games without any problems. I should re-download it and give it another shot.

I think out of the N64 ones up there about the only one I didn't have was Lylat Wars. Worth getting?

Oh, and can you save your progress in the older games a la the autosave thing in the Sonic Collection or is it a case of leaving it running?

If you leave the game it'll continue from where you left it.

Toejam & Earl = essential

I got Bomberman 93 because it supports 5-player mode (you have to hold down the z button to activate your gamecube controller, by the way), and while it's fun classic Bomberman, I have one qualm: If you play a best of 7 match, you have to play the same board on every match. Lame. But like I said, still good Bomberman fun and 5-player is great for parties.

If you've never played "Punch-Out!!" it's one of the most fun video games ever. I was always a fan of Ninja Gaiden, but I've still never finished the damn last level. So hard. Obviously Sonic the Hedgehog if you've never played it... I hear Super Mario 64 has better graphics than the original.

The 1up Retro Roundup reviews the new releases every week. I don't know how correct they are, as I haven't had a lot of Wii points to burn lately, but it is a good reference for lesser-known games (and they gave this Actraiser game Miffy's gushing about a very positive review). Also, note that some of their reviews, like Mario Kart 64, are negative due to missing features like memory card support.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3157575

I thought I'd post this question here as opposed to creating a new topic about it...

I'm just about ready to delve into the Gamecube side of the Wii and am gathering together all the stuff I need for it but I'm wondering: Do I need to buy a memory card or does it same the games on the Wii's internal memory?

I'm guessing I do need a card due to the fact that any internal memory will be switched off as soon as I enter the GC game but I thought I'd ask before I spent more money than I have to.

internal memory will be switched off as soon as I enter the GC game

That's exactly what happens. So yeah, you'll need a gc pad and memory card.

SiN

OMG F-Zero X dropped this week. I just recently got a Wii but I think this is definitely my first VC purchase. I loved F-Zero and F-Zero GX (despite the haters and the fair amount of SEGA cheese) and while I've always wanted to play X, I never had a chance til' now.

Also, SF2: Hyper Fighting!

Resident Evil 4 for Wii comes in two days. I've already pre-ordered it.