Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

Mario Strikers Charged

It's out this week in the UK. Anyone picking it up? As a huge fan of the original (yeah, SP was repetitive but it was one of the best party games I've ever played) I'm really looking forward to this and very jealous that you guys get it two months before us North Americans. As I'll be desperate for information up until I can buy it myself, what do people think? What's noticably different/better/worse?

...Fuck it, I'm going to go play the original for a while.

Hah, I didn't even realise we were getting this first, I had already resigned myself to NOE releasing everything a good 6 to 8 months later here for no good reason. (we only just got elebits - wait, sorry, eledees)

I may look into this, but not in the immediate term since I just bought a bunch of stuff to keep me busy, heh.

Miffy, I'd gladly swap it for Super Paper Mario. Or even, I don't know, the knowledge that Super Paper Mario is even going to exist locally. And don't laugh - Kirby and the Amazing Mirror never came out in Australia even though it was rated locally.

(we only just got elebits - wait, sorry, eledees)

Speaking of elebits eledees :shifty: How would you rate this game? Is it worth buying? Or should I wait a bit and snatch it out of a bargain bin somewhere?

I enjoyed it, but it's got its problems. Lag on the bigger outdoor levels can get distracting, for example. I'm not sure what the standard pricing is over there, but depending on how desperate I was to play something new on my Wii, I could recommend it for anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 the standard price.

I would definitely WAIT to buy Elebits until you can get it cheap for $19.99 (or in whatever crazy currency you fernerz use—I just got back from the Cannes Film Festival, which explains why I'm responding to a two-week-old post and my first-hand knowledge of how worthless U.S. currency is).

I'm also looking forward to Strikers. The Gamecube version is great fun. There's supposed to be wii implementation for goalkeepers and some other cool stuff.

I can't load it because it isn't out in my country yet, but that might not be too helpful to you.

Also, I got a black screen for a rather long time the first time I tried to play Strikers on my Wii (shortly after reading this thread.)

Got the game and played it for the first time last night. It was a lot of fun, and the online play worked well too. Anyone else doing the online play thing?

I haven't played it since the erratic and insanely high difficulty level in the single player (or co-op in this case) turned me off. I'd be willing to try it online.

Ugh. Now that it's out and I really want to play it, I'm working two jobs and spending all my free time with my 6 and 4 year old nephews while they visit. They leave on the 9th, and I'll probably be picking it up then. I'll be happy to have a few games once I regain a bit of gaming time. Meanwhile, it's family. When they're awake, anyway. It's 3:30 am now, so I have a bit of time to check the thumb. Love the kids, but being the 19 year old "cool" uncle who doesn't mind being treated like a piece of playground equipment can get pretty tiring.

Love the kids, but being the 19 year old "cool" uncle who doesn't mind being treated like a piece of playground equipment can get pretty tiring.

Tiring, but it does sound like fun. :)

An obvious question I guess, but why not buy it now and play it with them?

SiN

Their mom isn't really big on the "video games" thing, which I'm sure will become moot once they start regularly going over to friend's houses, but whatever. Currently, they dig Excite Truck, but don't really get the concept of racing. They just go around looking for the best jumps until the level times out and they pick a different map. Fair enough, and it is quite fun, but I think wrapping their heads around a game like Strikers would require a bit more grounding in the basics of gaming.

OK, just got it. My code is 219150632240. If anyone wants a game later, post up the codes and lets get some rivalries going.

So is it worth it? I need a game to play that isn't Wii Sports (and yes, I realise the irony of of replacing it with another sports game. albeit a tenuously linked one) but money is tight.

So far? Only had the chance to work in 5 matches, but it seems to be a faithful continuation. The game is a bit deeper this time around, as you can customize your sidekick squad with different characters and abilities, meaning that your entire team is up to you. I quite enjoy having Monty Mole beat the hell out of the opposition while Shy Guy and Koopa Troopa work on their passing game. It's definitely more difficult than the gamecube one, but not so much that it's really giving me any trouble. I have yet to dive into online, which from the sounds of things is where the game truly proves itself, so I don't feel quite qualified to offer a full verdict yet. Still, it's nice to have a reason to remove the RE4 disc now and again and play something new.

Upon further play, hell yes it's worth it. I haven't jumped out of my chair in triumph during a game for a long time, but when Shy Guy kicked in the winning goal with 3 seconds left in the elimination game against Mario (final score: 2 - 1) I was up and pumping my fist with glee. Happened again two games later when Monty Mole scored his first and only goal of the tournament. Happened to be the only goal in the game that won me the series though, so I think I can say he's pulled his weight.

In conclusion, crap this game is fun. And I usually hate sports games that aren't Tennis, so that may help your decision. I don't know if I'd choose it over Metroid Prime Corruption, which is due in a couple of weeks, but it's a great reason to turn on the Wii, and I'm looking forward to getting some multiplayer (both local and online) time in over the weekend.

OK, after a long bout with mono that occurred while I was very busy, I'm ready to play this, if everyone hasn't forgotten about it already.

I've put in everyone's code (Miffy's), so hopefully we can play some time.

I've added you now, although most of my time with the Wii lately has been devoted to Metroid, so I'm not sure how often I'll be playing.

Funny you should mention mono. Had a close call with that myself this summer. Shared a water bottle for a camping weekend with a girl who was diagnosed with it two days afterwards. Also meant I had to wait and make sure I was clear before trying anything with the (different, non-platonic) girl. Awkward week, that was. Glad to hear you're nearly out of it.

Funny you should mention mono. Had a close call with that myself this summer. Shared a water bottle for a camping weekend with a girl who was diagnosed with it two days afterwards. Also meant I had to wait and make sure I was clear before trying anything with the (different, non-platonic) girl. Awkward week, that was. Glad to hear you're nearly out of it.

I smell a sitcom

Heh. I actually saw that last night and thought, "I should inform the UK folks that mono is known as 'The Gland' over there."

Also, I didn't even realize Metroid was out, although I've never been a big Metroid fan. But I guess that that is for another thread... Galaxy isn't out yet, though, right?

It's only known as "The Gland" in select parts of England, civilised people call it glandular fever :)

(note: I also learned this fact as a result of this discussion and was going to post the wiki link)

I never got the Pink Eye thing though. I've never had conjunctivitis but I always thought the result was more yellow than pink...

Or am I thinking of something else?