toblix

Gobliiins 4

Whoa. Is this an official sequel? The originals were brilliant, if a little frustrating in regards to trial and error. Hope it gets an English release.

I've never heard of this series. What have I missed?

some fun, some annoyance, some humor, some puzzle solving

it was good enough to spawn 2 sequels back in the day and a 3rd right now..

If I remember it right, it would be best described as a cartoony Samorost... but it's been ages since I played those, so I might be mistaken.

It's a series of puzzle-solvers where you control the character(s) using a point and click interface. In the first one, Gobliiins, you control three guys, in the second, Gobliins 2, two guys, and in the third, Goblins 3, just one. He's a werewolf, though.

The puzzles are bit like Samorost, but only a bit. I guess maybe you have to play them to understand. There are inventory puzzles, sequential puzzles (do things in the right sequence) and timing puzzles. Each game is better than the last. I find the last two to be truly excellent games, and I'd very much like to play them again, although the very thought of trying to get them working on Vista makes me vomit with my mouth.

I find the last two to be truly excellent games, and I'd very much like to play them again, although the very thought of trying to get them working on Vista makes me vomit with my mouth.

scummvm?

Really? I thought it was just for, you know...SCUMM games. And BaSS.

Recent development. Might not even be in the newest release, you might have to use a snapshot.

This looks pretty cheap. I thought Vivendi holds the licenence. What hapenned there?

I'm not sure about the license but the people who are making it are the original team that made the first 3 Goblins games and are essentially making it on their own. I think Vivendi(Sierra) just published them.

I think Vivendi(Sierra) just published them.

Of course, but even so, they have the rights. At least the American rights and that - assuming they actually still have them - may pose a problem for those expecting a localised version (including me).

The demo's out in the usual places. Verdict: meh. Zack and Wiki seem to have evolved the Gobliiins formula more than the actual sequel.

The puzzle is pretty good, although the execution is pretty lacking. It never tells you that right-click opens your inventory, and the first step is to use an arbitrary item from a bloated inventory on a non-intimidating character keeping your characters from climbing a ladder. From there, the puzzle works well, although it depends too much on written hints on signs, and some of the obvious solutions based on your inventory (

Why can't you use the stepladder to bypass the broken ladder?)

don't work. However, once the puzzle is "solved" by eventually

distracting the monster long enough for the magician to grow the lettuce

, one of the three characters gets eaten. The other two just stand there until you order them to get eaten themselves, an unintuitive action that the game prevented you from doing earlier. :fart:

I believe the number of i's in the title refers to the number of playable characters. Gobliiins had three characters, Gobliins 2 had two, Goblins 3 had 1, and Gobliiins 4 has the same three from the first game.

All this is moot, because it should clearly be called Gobl4ns.

Goblins 3 is one of my favorite games, although I'm not looking that forward to this game. I don't like the 3D and it seems like they just remade the first Gobliiins, but I will try it anyways, especially since I have heard rumors it will include the first three Goblins games in the package.

ooh... there's a website now

It's been around for over a year I think.

This looks pretty cheap. I thought Vivendi holds the licenence. What hapenned there?

Well Sierra published English translated versions of some Coktel Vision games before being sold to Cendant to cendant in the 90s, but they did not own Coktel Vision itself. Whether their publishing agreement was meant only to have licensing rights for the exact games they chose to publish or complete North American publishing rights to the whole Coktel Vision library is up in the air. I would guess all publishing agreements ended anyway when Sierra was sold to Cendant then Havas then Vivendi, or however that whole mess works. And besides, this team isn't Coktel Vision, although it is led by Pierre Gilhodes.

Also I was under the impression this game was going to be called Goblinoid, not Gobl4ns iii or anything similar to their weird names.

It's been around for over a year I think

and that post has been around for over 2 years