Sign in to follow this  
netmonkey

Peacemaker

Sorry, I'm spamming the forums again:

There's this new serious game called Peacemaker that was started at my school a few years ago and now those guys have their own company and have just released the commercial version. It's gotten a lot of press over the past couple of years, and recently Ernest Adams did a review of it on Gamasutra:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20070131/adams_01.shtml

Maybe some of you guys are interested in trying it. Maybe some of you are not.. I think it costs like $20 if you care to try it. Maybe thumbs could review it if the want. I'm just posting b/c I support the work those guys are doing.

You can more get info and buy it from: http://www.peacemakergame.com/

There's a game you don't see every day.

When do people make games about peace? It's normally about killing people ¬¬.

Cold

This actually sounds really interesting- it reminds me of a game - can't remember the name - where you play a newly elected president of a south-american country - really giving you hard moral choices all the time - trying to make all sides happy. It really gave a good idea of the political problems and difficultires of south-america in the 80's.

Too bad there isn't a demo - but I'm seriously considering buying this.

it reminds me of a game - can't remember the name - where you play a newly elected president of a south-american country - really giving you hard moral choices all the time - trying to make all sides happy.

Tropico ? That was not as serious and didactic as Peacemaker looks to be.

That's funny, just today we examined Peacemaker in class. Our game design teacher thought it was an interesting example of a serious game -though it wasn't very fun to play as a game.

[...]it wasn't very fun to play as a game.

Do you think war is fun, Rodi?

Well, video games often make it fun, so maybe that expectation isn't so unwarranted. Not saying it should be, mind. Realistically though, there it is.

Maybe what Rodi meant is that it wasn't enjoyable... as in "the Schindler's List is enjoyable; that's what kept me through the horrible events of the movie".

Or Hidden Agenda, perhaps?

Yes exactly - Hidden Agenda

[ http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=506 ].

I think I still have a copy laying around. No its very very far from Tropico. And in the same vein as peacemaker I think. Industrialists would ask you to do one thing, while poor farmers would ask you to do the exact opposite. And if not verrry careful - CIA-supported coup on your arse.... It can be highly recommended for anyone interested in modern southamerican political history... I think you can only get it if you write to the author and promise to donate to southamerican charity

Maybe what Rodi meant is that it wasn't enjoyable... as in "the Schindler's List is enjoyable; that's what kept me through the horrible events of the movie".

Well, there's a difference between fun described as an emotional experience and fun as a challenging experience. I'm actually curious to know which one you were referring to, Rodi.

Also I've noticed that the game is often compared to Balance of Power and Hidden Agenda.

PS- The underdogs has cool content, but it's a total ad whore. I can't believe that there are still websites with pop-ups... and this one has the evil ones that bypass the pop-up blocker. :frusty:

I haven't played the game myself, but according to the teacher, it wasn't fun to play. As in, it was a bad game. That might not make it a bad educational experience, but you're not getting your game on while playing it.

Damn, that's a tough differential to explain.

I haven't played the game myself, but according to the teacher, it wasn't fun to play. As in, it was a bad game. That might not make it a bad educational experience, but you're not getting your game on while playing it.

Damn, that's a tough differential to explain.

hmm -' the game really interests me - but I don't want to blow 20$ if its simply not good. To bad there is no demo - any reviews except the one already given (which was more of an article really)?