Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

HI Just started listening to the podcast after a recommend from Giantbomb. Loving it and the site seems a bit more grown-up (from first impresions anyway) than a lot of sites/ forums, which is good as I'm a 42 year old games and the youngsters can be a bit irksome at times. Anyway hope to drop bye more often.

I got here a couple months ago, and yea this forum is definately less awful than the average people arguing about what their favourite meme is forum.

this is why we can't have nice things

So it's okay when Jake does it but the plebs aren't afforded the privilege? Double standards!

Butts aside, I think we are all here to get away from the less friendly corners of the internet.

this forum is definately less awful than the average people arguing about what their favourite meme is forum.

-- ign.com

Long time listener to the show. First time on the forums. Hope you guys/gals are all as awesome. (Spoilers: I know you are, judging by the mentions at live shows and sourcing of the forums on the podcast).

Just a quick hello. Long time listener.

Just started playing Minecraft again and want to join the Idle Thumbs server if it is still active.

Hey folks,

I'm Austin. I'm a writer-illustrator from Charlotte. Sometimes Gamespot.com pays me to review video games, and most of the time it's as fun as it sounds. I just discovered Idle Thumbs about a month ago and I haven't stopped listening since. I'm a big fan of discussing games beyond "Is Halo better than Call of Duty!?"

I write about games on my personal blog www.austindlight.com/blog two to three times a week. Sometimes I copy posts over to the GiantBomb forums, but it's always a gamble whether I'll see real discussion, or system warring trolls. I'm hoping I can see more lively discussion here.

Also, Idle Thumbs seems to be the only gaming related site that isn't blocked by my employer! Hooray!

Hello everyone.

Another guy who likes to play video games here. Sometimes, I also like to discuss them with like-minded individuals and for that I usually go to gaming forums. I think I've listened to every episode of the various Idle Thumbs podcasts, or at least almost all of them. I get the feeling that the kind of people who enjoy the discussions featured on the 'casts are the kind of people who I'd like to have discussions with.

So, let's have it it then!

Hi. I'm a long time podcast reader, first time forum goer, independent game developer, and a shitty Wizard. I really like the uniquely sophisticated, in-depth discussion about the majesty of video games, interspersed with bird noise and psychedelic, Goldbloom-themed phoneme cascades.

Hello and welcome! I appreciate all of you! :tup:

Hello! I'm Vegas. I'm a student at UT Austin studying Radio/Television/Film. I want to make games and am the industry officer in the Electronic Game Developers Society on campus.

I'm a big fan of Idle Thumbs and the way they talk about, think about, and make games is very inspiring to me.

Looking forward to some interesting conversation!

Hey thumbs people. Been listening since the original Idle Thumbs podcast. Backed the kickstarter, and finally figured I'd log into the forums. Classy place.

Hi everyone. Relatively recent listener, very recent forum-goer. I figured that since I'm a cool guy, and I like the podcast, everyone else who listens to the podcast must be cool guys (or girls) too. B) Also I live in Korea, and it's hard to meet people who are: a) interested in games, B) not interested in games to the exclusion of everything else, or c) children. I'd really like to join a gaming group for something that plays nice with my time-zone concerns - something like Friday and Saturday nights EST would be my Saturday and Sunday mornings, so that would be great.

Hi everyone. Relatively recent listener, very recent forum-goer. I figured that since I'm a cool guy, and I like the podcast, everyone else who listens to the podcast must be cool guys (or girls) too. B) Also I live in Korea, and it's hard to meet people who are: a) interested in games, B) not interested in games to the exclusion of everything else, or c) children. I'd really like to join a gaming group for something that plays nice with my time-zone concerns - something like Friday and Saturday nights EST would be my Saturday and Sunday mornings, so that would be great.

Welcome! Are you a native Korean or have you moved there from another country? I'd guess most people in SK play f2p MMOs, LoL and WC3 looking at the PC Bang top list of games.

Hi everybody!

dr-nick1.jpg

My name is David Bator and I am an aspiring indie game developer based out of Los Angeles (when does one actually become an indie developer? Is that something you even aspire to or are you one as soon as you start developing your own projects? Existential parenthetical!). I've been listening to the podcast since kickstarter brought it to my attention. I feel like it's the podcast I've always wanted! Following this mentality I figured this is probably the video game forum I have always wanted as well!!! (this is a game forum that isn't NeoGAF right?).

I'm not really doing anything but procrastinating working on my own projects at the moment so you guys can likely find me on steam for some BL2/TL2/Dota2 (that's a lot of 2!).

Welcome! Are you a native Korean or have you moved there from another country? I'd guess most people in SK play f2p MMOs, LoL and WC3 looking at the PC Bang top list of games.

Thanks! I'm actually an Aussie teaching English here. Based on anecdotal evidence, it's pretty much LoL-city over here right now. I occasionally see MMOs getting played, especially WoW and Aion, and sometimes WC3 as well, though it's almost exclusively some kind of mod. There's also a string of Korean-only games, almost all free-to-play, which are mostly either incarnations of Counter-strike or some kind of sports game.

Hey guys, name's Nathan. I heard about Idle Thumbs via Chris Remo himself at the PAX 2012 afterparty. After that and other life-changing experiences that night (Tim Schafer stepped on my shoes! On purpose! And Ron Gilbert was there and said my shoes were cool! And Brad Muir talked about Monovisions! And there was dub step!) I decided to check out the podcast and was delighted. The manner of serious discussion about games and the people that make them has been really inspiring and validating, so I'm trying to catch up on old ones while listening to new ones.

I'm a member of the "enthusiast press" as they say, blogging and podcasting at Pixel Response, in addition to a podcast I've been a part of for a couple years called "Top Down Perspective". Have found Giant Bomb pretty inspiring in the past, but they are starting to bore me in light of the discourse happening elsewhere about where games can and perhaps should go. I'm beginning to tire of a lot of the tropes and subject matter that keeps getting all the attention, so Idle Thumbs has been a friendly reminder of the other, more interesting and challenging, stuff going on.

Anyway, that should suffice as an intro and explanation as to why I'm here. Oh, JUST about finished university (English Major, Film Minor) and hoping to get into game development in some serious capacity relatively soon. As of now, writing out ideas and starting to network.

Hi, I think video games are neat. I also like reading about history sometimes, so I named myself after Cato the Younger, a man who I find to be a fascinating tragic hero.

Anyway, I've been listening to the podcast since about two years ago, when it was called "The Idle Thumbs Podcast", and after that happened, I have listened to every single episode.

Idle Thumbs mix of silly humor and thoughtful observations about the games they play is a magical mixture no other podcast has replicated, and I was going mad finding a suitable subsitute, so thanks for saving my sanity, guys!

Fascinating and tragic, indeed. I love how the man was like all under-dog like, but then he was actually really talented at building stuff. Never really appreciated while he was obviously the impetus of the entire operation. Plus, he makes a mean cup of coffee.

Welcome!

Hello all,

I am one of the many people who found Idle thumbs when Jick of KoL mentioned he enjoyed this podcast near the end of its original run.

The thumbs' tales about emergent gameplay has taught me to recognize the unwritten stories that evolve durring my own gaming sessions. Most recently while watching my girlfriend play the tutorial level of Skyward Sword, I noticed Link kept grabbing on to the ledge when he was instructed to jump off. I imagined this was because Link had a secret fear of heights.