miffy495

Wii heat

I'm really loving the Wii. Wii Golf has proven to be unexpectedly fun after many plays (especially as I don't like real golf) and Rayman and Monkey Ball are both really good. I do have one concern that keeps on dancing around in the back of my mind though. To those other Thumbs that are currently enjoying the Wii: Does the heat that the system kicks up when it's turned off worry you at all?

Now, I know WiiConnect 24 requires some power draw, but 10w seems a bit excessive for a machine that I've turned off. Especially one that runs as quietly as it does. No noticable fans is great, but even when the system has been off all night, the side of it is still warm to the touch. Am I worrying too much about my new toy? My fear is that all this heat may do some damage to the Wii in the long run. What are your thoughts on the matter?

You didn't turn it off. The processor is running, hence the system gives off some heat and eats some electricity.

I'm gonna hijack this thread: Today I got my Wii to review Zelda. I buy a converter to be able to supply it with power, but the thing was so goddamn cheap it blew up within a minute and now I'm stuck without being able to play on the Wii. I hope I didn't blow up the Wii itself, but just the cheap motherfucking converter.

Goddamnit, why don't these things just function!

You didn't turn it off. The processor is running, hence the system gives off some heat and eats some electricity.

True. I do realize that it's only going into sleep mode, but the heat is still unsettling. I'd have glady accepted a bit of noise if it meant that the thing would run cooler. Oh well. I guess I'll just stop worrying about it and go back to the games.

To Rodi: RE-HIJACKED! Also, tough break. Take some solace in the fact that you're one of the few in Europe that has one, whether it works or not. Good luck with the new converter, or whatever you're doing to get it running.

Yeah, tomorrow I'm buying a good one and maybe complain a bit. I'm plenty pissed at the moment because I've got a huge deadline breathing down my neck and I need to start playing.

The thread's all yours again.

AHha! That is for trying to betray your fellow european citizen!

To review Zelda? Why not just to play Zelda?! You big puff.

... :fart:

I think playing Zelda comes a little higher on the list of priorities than money! Heck, I'd pay them to play it.

Well, I'll be doing that anyway. :fart:

I'm gonna hijack this thread: Today I got my Wii to review Zelda. I buy a converter to be able to supply it with power, but the thing was so goddamn cheap it blew up within a minute and now I'm stuck without being able to play on the Wii. I hope I didn't blow up the Wii itself, but just the cheap motherfucking converter.

Goddamnit, why don't these things just function!

Converter or transformer? That later is what you're needing.

I think playing Zelda comes a little higher on the list of priorities than money! Heck, I'd pay them to play it.

I'm with you. The component cables arrived today, so next priority is to pay them (assuming that "them" is Nintendo) to play it.

Moos, are you certain I need a transformer instead of a converter? Cause my editor explicitly said converter. Is it about Volts? Because America uses 120V and Europe 220V I believe. Not sure though. But what would happen with just a converter?

You need a step down transformer, which does exactly what it says, steps the voltage down from 220 to 120 so nothing blows up ^_^;;

A converter generally just refers to a bit of plastic to convert the pin types. But then of course people can call things by different names, so maybe you have a voltage converter??

No, I just had the piece of plastic, which may explain why it blew up. But then I ask you, why in hell do they sell them in the first place when you'll always want to alter the voltage?

You won't always want to alter the voltage. Many devices can accept different voltages in (generally small portable devices I believe), for example the DS.

If the power brick is the same as the gamecube one then you could use your euro one of those, but I think they probably aren't.

Already tried that piece of smart thinking, but alas. I think I'll just buy a transformer. It'll cost me some cash (I'm expecting 20-30 Euros), but I need to play the Wii man!

Also, for some reason it's larger than I expected. When I see it standing in my room... it seems bulky. But that may be because I only ever saw them in huge airy bubbles on press conferences, which made them look tiny.

Alright, shite. I bought the transformer and it all fit, but I think the power supply itself is busted. There's a rattle inside it that sounds of loose parts and, well, there's just no power. So now what? I'm not technical at all, so cutting open the GameCube adaptor might be a risky move. But if it's my only shot...

Anyone have some suggestions?

Only one quick possibilty that would be an easy fix, have you checked the fuse in the plug for the power brick? Aside from that I guess trying to adapt the GC power brick is your best bet ;(

For the last three hours I've been playing Twilight Princess! I cut up my gamecube adaptor and it works like a charm. Hooray! Problems solved ^_^

Congrats, man. I'm now eagely awaiting my copy as well. Every store in the city is sold out of TP, so I bit the bullet and ordered it from Amazon. I'll be playing shortly. (in 480p no less! My first high-ish res Zelda!) Can't wait. How exactly does the GCN brick need to be "cut up" to work? Seems a bit odd that it would require much modification at all.

It doesn't need a lot; you just need to carve up the plug so that it fits the slot on the Wii. They're slightly different, but nothing that a dull kitchen knife can't handle.

Also; so far the game rocks :tup: Graphics may be a trifle outdated (textures not as crisp as they could have been; shifts in amounts of polygons on characters), but the atmosphere that they've pumped in there. There're also other observations that I'm going to put in my review, so you won't read them here :violin: