Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Zelda: A Link to the Past? CORRECT!

Man, I'm loving this game. For its age, the graphics are sweet. The gameplay difficulty is comfortable, the dungeons just the right size for them not to be annoying to have to schlep back and forth in to find out where I have to be next. One thing I don't like about these types of games, though, is the non-linearity. Yeah, you heard me. I mean, the story is linear enough, but there are all these items and stuff you have to just... you know, go look for. Like, whenever. It's like every time you get a new power, like the power to open caverns with your head (boots) or lift great rocks or swim you have to revisit every little place you've ever been, in two dimensions to see if there's some new orifice you can squeeze yourself into. I'm loving it, but also I am hating it a little. Are all the Zelda games like this, with the exploring and stuff?

But great game, fantastic.

I like the game but I think the difficulty could've been turned down somewhat for the GBA version.

I'm stuck in the ice dungeon with the ridiculous number of floors. I actually got to the boss on the last floor a few times but I don't have any of the health potions left. Too lazy to exit the place and fill them up.

SNES on an Xbox. I'm cheating, of course. And by cheating I mean I save wherever I please, and I turbo-speedify the game whenever I climb stairs, because in Zelda: A Link to the Past, climbing stairs is fucking slow.

Yep, that's the Zelda formula. Lots of dungeons for those who like linearity and lots of random things to open in the overworld for those who don't.

I would agree with the above sentiments that A Link to the Past is probably the best one. However, that's the cue for large hordes of screaming fanboys to attack this thread with "Ocarina of Time is the best game ever made!!!!!!"

I would agree with the above sentiments that A Link to the Past is probably the best one. However, that's the cue for large hordes of screaming fanboys to attack this thread with "Ocarina of Time is the best game ever made!!!!!!"

In my own opinion, A Link to the Past is perhaps the best of its kind. The ambiance, the gameplay, it all seems so coherent.

Of course if you think about it the game in itself is nowhere near perfect.

But comparing 2D games to 3D games is never a good idea.

It's worth noting that Link to the Past's graphics can still be considered beautiful after 15 years, while 15 year old 3D graphics will always look crap, no matter how good the art direction is.

FIGHT!

What Miffy said. Better story, better gameplay, better graphics even though it's in monochrome. And a much better weapon equip system. Link to the Past is fun, and so is Ocarina, but they're basically both the exact same game, only that one is in 3D, and the other is not. I much prefer it when the Zelda games don't stick to the Link to the Past formula, and shake things up a bit. That's probably why I prefer Link's Awakening, Majora, and the Oracles over the ones everyone else likes.

There actually isn't a Zelda game that didn't have both good and bad points, in my opinion.

When we're talking about story and setting, Majora's Mask was way superior to all the others, but I never finished it due to its ridiculous difficulty spikes. Ocarina got it a little better, but that didn't have the depth of Majora. Windwaker I really liked, but that one had the triforce hunt that was tedious (though not as horrible as people claimed, sailing is fun!). A Link to the Past then was quite good gameplay-wise, but perhaps a bit vanilla when it came to setting and story (that's to be expected, but there you have it).

I'm bumping this old thread because I got A Link to the Past for my DS and it's funky playing this kind of game because... I never have (well the only non-adventure I've played in a bit of Psychonauts and some Mario vs. DK 2).

I learned stuff by trial and error (I just have the cartridge) by pushing buttons and seeing what they'd do and I'm slowly figuring out what the little do-dads you pick up are (the little hearts give you health but I'm not sure what the little gems do).

I spent quite a bit of time wandering around outside of the house at the beginning wondering how to get into the castle (and getting a tad frustrated):

All the while seeing the plea of 'Come help me! There's a secret passage into the castle in the gardens!' and I'm thinking, I know, I know, I just can't find it! I finally figured out you could pick up the bushes and throw them (wheee!) and then I got inside. I was so proud of myself. :yep: I got my sword. Woo! Now I have to get better at getting by the guards. :hmph:

:tup:

(the little hearts give you health but I'm not sure what the little gems do).

You trade them in for drugs.

Man, I wish I could experience Z:LttP for the first time all over again instead of the two dozenth time. The mystery is kind of gone when you know where everything is and you have a set path through the game that you always follow.

DW village dungeon with the power glove as early as I can, then get the staff from the swamp dungeon before doing the ice dungeon.

The only Zelda I've ever played was that one on the Gameboy colour... Link's Awakening was it? (Where he wakes up on a beach somewhere.) Man, oh, man... I HATED that game! Boring as hell! Are the other ones better? Because it really put me off :tdown:

Funny, 'cause that one was my favorite of them all.

QFT, and other obnoxious internet-slang agreements! :tup:

I need practice! Pretty early in the game, I keep dying at a certain point because I can't get past some of those guards and my combat skills leave a bit to be desired. :hmph:

I was telling this to a friend and he said that is the weird design of action/adventures - your character is at its weakest when you need it to be a bit stronger (well I need it to be stronger).

I reckon for most people, their first time is their favourite time. I know mine was (Wind Waker).

Just like sex, drugs and rock n roll!

Then I must be the exception to the rule: I started out with the first one on the NES, then years later Ocarina on the Gamecube, but my favourite is The Wind Waker :)