Wrestlevania

Psychonauts on Steam

my biggest concern is the long trip over the big pond.. and the 40% I have to pay to customs.

Psychonauts got updated today with a pretty surprising update in Steam, eh?

And yes, this is the perfect time to resurrect this thread.

Psychonauts got updated today with a pretty surprising update in Steam, eh?

And yes, this is the perfect time to resurrect this thread.

Weird. Any idea what the update is?

Adding Mac support, achievements, cloud saves, and apparently toning down the difficulty of Meat Circus.

Holy shit, they finally added 360 controller support? This is the best thing. I now have little to no reason to hold onto my original Xbox copy of the game, except that it's autographed so I'll hold onto it.

Huh, what update, whats going on? Wasn't there already a 360 version? Im sure I played it on the 360?

confused.

Huh, what update, whats going on? Wasn't there already a 360 version? Im sure I played it on the 360?

confused.

No, I meant, the updated version coming to the 360. (Note that it's no longer available as an "XBox Original", possibly meaning there's a new version around the corner.) The new version has achievements and updated graphics and tweaked difficulty, etc. Anyway, I just bought it on Steam. They got me...

No, I meant, the updated version coming to the 360. (Note that it's no longer available as an "XBox Original", possibly meaning there's a new version around the corner.) The new version has achievements and updated graphics and tweaked difficulty, etc. Anyway, I just bought it on Steam. They got me...

Oh sweet, unfortunately I dont pay attention to achievements. Curious what the graphics are and wonder if they did anything with meat circus...

Oh sweet, unfortunately I dont pay attention to achievements. Curious what the graphics are and wonder if they did anything with meat circus...

- Steam Achievements

- Steam Cloud saves

- XBox 360 Controller Support

- The Meat Circus has been made more "fair"

Some are claiming the graphics have been improved, too.

The press release:

SAN FRANCISCO, CA ? September 12 -- Double Fine Productions, Inc. announced today a new Mac version, new PC update, and new companion iOS app for one of its premiere titles, the award-winning Psychonauts.

As of today, Steam users may download a free update to their Psychonauts game which includes--for the first time--achievements, cloud saves, and a slightly modified Meat Circus.

"We are really excited," said Double Fine President Tim Schafer, "to finally be answering fans' requests for a more difficult Meat Circus."

Mr. Schafer was probably joking about that last part, as Meat Circus, one of the original game's most difficult sections, has been made slightly less punishing in this update.

"Mostly because I'm getting older and it's hard for me to press buttons that quickly. Hey, don't forget to mention the achievements!" Schafer added, unnecessarily, because we already mentioned that feature.

"What about the part I paid for?" asked Steven Dengler, CEO of Dracogen Strategic Investments, which is a private investment firm interested in making cool things happen, and not a clan of evil dragons, plotting to take over the world like it sounds. Double Fine has partnered with Dracogen to bring Psychonauts to the Mac OS X. The Mac version is available now on Steam and the Mac App Store, as well as several different online digital retailers.

"I have been a fan of Psychonauts and Double Fine for a long time," continued Dengler, "and I'm extremely happy to be helping them bring their games to new platforms like the Macintosh. All hail the supremacy of Dragons!"

To show how excited they are about their first ever Apple product, Double Fine has also produced a free Psychonauts companion app for iPhone/iPad. The Psychonauts Vault Viewer lets players view all of their favorite Memory Vaults from Psychonauts (even the ones they never found) on their handheld iOS device. Every vault from the game is included, plus newly-recorded audio commentary from Tim Schafer and Scott Campbell for every slide of every vault. The app is available now in the iOS App Store.

"Excellent," said the dragons. "Everything is moving forward as planned."

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

I just want to chip in on this thread by saying Psychonauts is a really game. Once, I accidentally the whole Psychonauts.

On a more profound (!) note (?), it's heartening to see DF continuing support for Psychonauts. I'd love to see more. I'd love to see a sequel. I still think Psychonauts is THE Schafer property that most begs for a sequel. I expressed such in 2005 when it came out and by god, sir, I will express it again!

Edited by Rodi

I just want to chip in on this thread by saying Psychonauts is a really game. Once, I accidentally the whole Psychonauts.

Kill you. Kill you so much Rodi.

(I might actually have to play Psychonauts now. It's something I've been missing from my gaming continuum.)

On a more profound (!) note (?), it's heartening to see DF continuing support for Psychonauts. I'd love to see more. I'd love to see a sequel. I still think Psychonauts is THE Schafer property that most begs for a sequel. I expressed such in 2005 when it came out and by god, sir, I will express it again!

I agree, I loved the settings, love the potential for game-play, loved the characters.

In my fan-addled mind, I always hoped Psychonaughts 2 hub game-play would be their version of Bully where Raz was going to to a Psycho private school and having to do all the fun things that would involve, like attending class on time.

I'd also give up almost anything to work on that as well; just love the game too much. Not sure if I am ready for another playthrough though.

No retail patch? Booo

Yeah, I was hoping for one, but then I just went and bought it on Steam anyway. There's no discs, it's been updated, and it's a game worth buying twice... especially for so little. Plus I'm supporting DoubleFine in the process.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

I really hope this thing comes to Android and PC as well. Especially because of those commentary tracks of Campbell and Schafer.

Worthy to note is that Ron Gilbert was behind this iOS app.

I'm really loving the fact that Doublefine updates their old game suddenly!

I tried out the patch today. Not long enough to see if they've fixed the glitches that caused it to slow down/freeze with ATI cards. But long enough to see that they haven't fixed the problem with FMVs being stretched wide when using a monitor that isn't 4:3. That one's bloody annoying.

I tried out the patch today. Not long enough to see if they've fixed the glitches that caused it to slow down/freeze with ATI cards. But long enough to see that they haven't fixed the problem with FMVs being stretched wide when using a monitor that isn't 4:3. That one's bloody annoying.

Wasn't stretched for me. Maybe it's your monitor?

Wasn't stretched for me. Maybe it's your monitor?
No, because when I watch 4:3 tv shows, the aspect ratio is preserved. What are your graphics settings set as?

No, because when I watch 4:3 tv shows, the aspect ratio is preserved. What are your graphics settings set as?

Everything is turned on, as I recall. I run at 1680 x 1050. I'm willing to bet it's your monitor. VLC and PowerDVD will draw black lines down the side of your screen. Psychonauts outputs pure 4:3. So really you're right, it's the game's fault for not being more compatible. But check your monitor, you never know, there might be a setting somewhere.

Hmph. So this time I played it, everything was stretched.

Still, a damn fine game. Forgot how much I utterly adore the universe. Sure, the game does a piss poor job of introducing your fellow campers, but I couldn't sleep last night, so I read all their profiles on the Psycho-Pedia. It really helped distinguish them when I played tonight.

I dreamt while passing out after lunch today that Psychonauts 2 was in the works and this was common knowledge.