MrHoatzin

Tim Schafer interview in the Guardian

The last thing was interesting:

TG: Can you drop any hints on what this new game will be?

TS: It is awesome and it is new.

I like that he's expressing interest in digital distribution. It would be awesome if DF made a few different XBLA or Virtual Console games, just to see if something sticks.

I found myself grunting in sympathy to what he said about the sacrifice of longevity in favour of replay value.

I found myself grunting in sympathy to what he said about the sacrifice of longevity in favour of replay value.

They are not directly related. Long games have a higher replay value than short games because you still remember how to get past stuff.

Playing the same game with a different outfit on the character is not interesting enough to replay it. Unless it's a fashion showing game.

I like that he's expressing interest in digital distribution. It would be awesome if DF made a few different XBLA or Virtual Console games, just to see if something sticks.

I don't know if their games (okay, there's only been one) would apply to XBLA.

XBLA is not (at least right now) for games of any significant length. It's for games where rules are more important than levels.

Psychonauts would be a bad candidate. A side-scrolling version of Psychonauts, minus the cut scenes? Sure. But I don't know if that's something anyone really wants.

XBLA is not (at least right now) for games of any significant length. It's for games where rules are more important than levels.

Exactly, and Tim actually mentions he'd like to make shorter games which I think is why Marek commented on XBLA.

There is some Eurogamer speculation here, in the later part of the interview. No need for its own thread.

I think it's safe to say it isn't Psychonauts 2. I dare venture to postulate it won't even be Psychonauts-themed.

Jason: I meant that it would be interesting for DF to try some smaller games. It'd be an nice venue for them to experiment with different gameplay styles. Yes, they aren't known for their gameplay per se, but that's exactly the point. :)

Oh and I doubt very much DF is working on a sequel. Though if they were, I wouldn't really mind.

I dare venture to postulate it won't even be Psychonauts-themed.

What does Psychonauts-themed mean?

One of the reasons I liked psychonauts so much is the variaty in themes.

I'd love to see a sequel, but I'd also love to see something completely different. At least Psychonauts didn't have an unfinished ending.

I wouldn't want there to be a sequel unless they had a really damn good idea for it. The story that should be told has been told. Let's move on now. It'd be like Grim Fandango 2. A great thought until you realize that they've already crossed over, so what the hell can you do that isn't contrived as all fuck?

So yeah, the idea of a sequel to Psychonauts, barring some immensely creative genius, :tdown:.

I'll tell you what you can do - send in Ford Cruller.

Although, new original game would be nice too. Maybe a dramatic murder mystery at the blood bank...starring Ford Cruller.

There is more than enough room in psychonauts to create a sequel. For example staring an adult Raz.

Or maybe even a couple of short prequels ("episodes") (e.g. the story of Nein and Vodello).

Stuff can be way different. The world in Psychonauts has hardly been touched in the game, unlike with Grim Fandango. But ofcourse there is always the issue that sequels should be more or less like the previous one.

I already touched on the topic of a sequel or spin-off of Psychonauts in my detailed review on Captain August. Elmuerte, Psychonauts-themed basically means that it has anything to do with Psychonauts. Not simply one of the mind's themes.