ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

2 films I'm interested in:

Fantastic Mr. Fox and The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnussus.

Can our American cousins offer any insight?

I also watched the taking of Pelham 123. What a generic, by the numbers movie that was.The acting was ok. But the script was more than boring. :tmeh:

Which one? The new one or the original? I haven't seen the new one, but the original film is badass as far as I'm concerned.

I presume he's talking about the new one. It looked like garbage. The old one is indeed awesome. Walter Matthau rocked in that, and it only made more of an impression on a young me when the Beastie's namechecked it.

Definitely talking about the new one, because I saw that yesterday and it was indeed a boring, by the numbers kind of thing. Not to mention the direction; it was so tacky.

The whole thing was: "Here's some fast motion footage of the city and streets and then occasionally suddenly switch to a shot of John Travolta walking in slow motion, looking all angry while '99 Problems and the bitch ain't one' plays in the background."

Obnoxious is the word that comes to mind.

2 films I'm interested in:

Fantastic Mr. Fox and The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnussus.

Can our American cousins offer any insight?

Both of those films are getting UK release before they're screened widely in America -- so we have to make up our own minds for a change!

Fantastic Mr. Fox had its

at the London Film Festival last night. I didn't go, but I covered the press conference - which had George Clooney, Wes Anderson, Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, Wally Wolodarsky, Eric Anderson and Jarvis Cocker in attendance. That was a crazy conference - with shedloads of idiotic gossip mag questions, mostly directed at Clooney.

I saw the film on Monday, but I've signed an embargo for the 19th. This is particularly frustrating in retrospect, as there are several reviews from sites big and small that have been popping up since.

I saw the film on Monday, but I've signed an embargo for the 19th. This is particularly frustrating in retrospect, as there are several reviews from sites big and small that have been popping up since.

You review films for a living?! Who for? (Colour me an extremely green shade of jealous.)

Watched Drag Me to Hell last night, brilliantly ridiculous and fun.

Masterful use of foreshadowing by Raimi to play with the audience - both those expecting it and those still scared by it. I also though it brilliant that the boyfriend seemed to ad-lib pretty much all his dialogue, trying to it around what was more clearly scripted and structured. Lent further B-movie horror flick credibility I think, without relying on any obvious gimmicks.

I really liked the Indian mystic, too. Great character that ran the gamut of being horribly cliched and avoided the worst smartly.

You review films for a living?! Who for? (Colour me an extremely green shade of jealous.)

Not much of a living at the moment, but I do a lot of writing, yeah. Most of my stuff is for http://www.denofgeek.com. I've written for other places, mainly about films and video games (biggest coup there being an article on Gamasutra). Trying to work my way up, and all that. I keep my blog updated with all of my articles and so on.

Er, enough self-promotion. Hey, video games films!

Fantastic Mr. Fox is out? Or, at least, soon? Thanksgiving, I thought? Gotta see this movie!

Just watched Drag Me To Hell. You could tell the tone of the picture right from the start with the way the father got slapped about the face with comic over-reaction. Vintage Raimi.

Oh yeah - I forgot. The goat was very special indeed. :yep:

Edited by Scrobbs

Which one? The new one or the original? I haven't seen the new one, but the original film is badass as far as I'm concerned.

Oh ffs... when are they going to stop that crap

A friend suggested we see Halloween 2, then realized it would be a sequel to the remake and therefore probably rubbish. Another friend asked whether that just made it a remake of the original sequel (borderline oxymoron?), and he explained that it didn't, as the remake deviated a fair amount from the original. I suggested that it would be amusing to do a series of remakes where each film takes a film in the original series as a starting point, and deviates to a similar degree to the first Halloween remake. You'd have a confusing string of unconnected films that each nonetheless seem like they should be in some non-existent sequence. Dumb things amuse me.

A friend suggested we see Halloween 2, then realized it would be a sequel to the remake and therefore probably rubbish. Another friend asked whether that just made it a remake of the original sequel (borderline oxymoron?), and he explained that it didn't, as the remake deviated a fair amount from the original. I suggested that it would be amusing to do a series of remakes where each film takes a film in the original series as a starting point, and deviates to a similar degree to the first Halloween remake. You'd have a confusing string of unconnected films that each nonetheless seem like they should be in some non-existent sequence. Dumb things amuse me.

Sort of like the chain of Romero remakes? Admittedly, the original films had little connecting them other than Romero and an increasingly hilarious bluff regarding inconsistent technology and anachronisms - but Night of the Living Dead 1990, Dawn of the Dead 2004 and Day of the Dead 2008 (straight to DVD with Mena Suvari) have no links with each other, and often very little in common with the films they're supposed to be based on.

Hahaha, that's pretty much exactly it (I wasn't aware of any of them except Dawn, which I saw), except that I'm thinking of it being more of an annual thing with a consistent marketing campaign, just to make it more confusing. But yeah, there's probably loads of it that I just don't know about.

Just watched Drag Me To Hell. You could tell the tone of the picture right from the start with the way the father got slapped about the face with comic over-reaction. Vintage Raimi.

Oh yeah - I forgot. The goat was very special indeed. :yep:

Yeah that movie was not especially good, but it was extremely fun to watch!

I feel like such a stupid fanboy. But it seems that The Dark Knight can be watched an infinite number of times without losing its appeal.

Hehe, it IS a very well constructed movie.

I watched Zombieland last night........ Meh :/ I preferred Shaun of the Dead. Still it wasn't terrible or anything and there definitely some good moments, but overall......... Meh.

I feel like such a stupid fanboy. But it seems that The Dark Knight can be watched an infinite number of times without losing its appeal.

Definitely with you on that one. Mrs V and I have watched it a couple of times at home now and it's still really enjoyable. Great film. :yep:

Hehe, it IS a very well constructed movie.

I watched Zombieland last night........ Meh :/ I preferred Shaun of the Dead. Still it wasn't terrible or anything and there definitely some good moments, but overall......... Meh.

...seriously?! I watched Zombieland last night and thought it was great fun! It had plenty of good gags, and both main male characters were very entertaining in their highly contrasted obsessive-compulsive ways--with Harrelson definitely worthy of the media praise here.

And, for once, it's a film that features a "real life" cameo that didn't stink.

What with this, District 9, Moon and so on, I can't help feeling there's a lot of worthwhile cinema getting plenty of attention at the moment. It's oddly refreshing. :erm:

...seriously?! I watched Zombieland last night and thought it was great fun! It had plenty of good gags, and both main male characters were very entertaining in their highly contrasted obsessive-compulsive ways--with Harrelson definitely worthy of the media praise here.

Ah, maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it. I just found it to be quite boring and predictable... My friend really enjoyed it, though, so it's probably just me.

Harrelson was amusing, though (as was "you know who").

Absolutely!

You Know Who was brilliant; not too much screen time, not too much dialogue, no real impact on the plot. Pitched perfectly I thought.

Do try watching it again in a few months, see what you think then.

Did you ever see Shaun of the Dead, Wrestle?

Certainly did! Big fan of zombie films, and while I enjoyed Shaun it seemed to think itself just a touch too clever in some places. Good though.