ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I try to avoid groups of teenagers, even fictional ones.

Ordinarily I agree, but a guilty pleasure of mine is The Inbetweeners. It is extremely purile, lowest common denominator rubbish but somehow it manages to be quite sophisticated at the same time. The best way I can describe it is as Peep Show: The Early Years.

It looks awful, I know, but I'd recommend that people at least give it a try and watch an episode.

Lost. Thought the new season got off to a good start myself, but there seems to be a few people who find the whole time travelling nonsense to be a cheap trick. I'm not sure what to think, as I still don't know what the fuck is actually going on, but main thing is I'm entertained - and Hurley's summary of Lost (in the second episode) was hilarious.

The Diary of Anne Frank. I don't know how this BBC series ranks in comparison to the book or other adaptations but the first four episodes are wonderful Das Boot (light) fly on the wall type affairs, and the aversion to over egging sentimentality is very refreshing, with character faults all-round. The fifth, and final episode caused a large pool of water to swell up in my eyes, which despite knowing the ending in advance was still unexpected ;(

Saw The Wrestler last weekend and I've got to say: :tup::tup::tup:

Best movie I've seen all year.

Yes, very good. Despite the Atari sounds during the NES sequence :shifty:

Also saw Frost/Nixon. Well made film, but... I'm kind of ambivalent on it. Frank Langella was very good, but nothing else in the movie seems all that remarkable. 2007 > 2008.

Just got back from Milk, and I have to say it stands up very well to my favourite few films of last year. Some pretty exceptional performances; Penn was peerless.

Lost. Thought the new season got off to a good start myself, but there seems to be a few people who find the whole time travelling nonsense to be a cheap trick. I'm not sure what to think, as I still don't know what the fuck is actually going on, but main thing is I'm entertained - and Hurley's summary of Lost (in the second episode) was hilarious.

Well the writers have made it clear that you can't go back and change anything... So there'll be no re-writing of history for anyone. Hopefully that'll make people a little less jumpy about the time travel.

2007 > 2008

Agreed :tup:There Will Be Blood was astounding, as was No Country, etc.

Penn was peerless.

Was he? :mock:

2008 was a great year for superheroes. Iron Man was fantastic, The Dark Knight a great movie, a semi-masterpiece, and even The Hulk was... Wait, The Hulk was amazingly throwaway. Hellboy 2 was pretty neat as well. So, the colourful things, while maybe not of the calibre of a There Will Be Blood, were definitely represented.

2009 starts very interestingly with things like Milk, Doubt, Frost/Nixon and some other things I want to see. Valkyrie among them, though I expect it to be shit, with a shallow Von Stauffenberg by that insufferable fanatic Cruise. Unfortunately, he is also a damn fine actor, so it may still be good. Err, also, the insanely charming Dutch actress Carice van Houten is in it as well, and she kicks major ass.

43z763c.jpg

I loved the CSI parody in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. They nailed it, I think.

In an incredibly lame move, Warner Brothers have pushed back the new Ricky Gervais film This Side of the Truth until 2010 and, even worse, renamed it Invention of Lying. What the fuck sort of a title is that?:(

Anyway, I saw RocknRolla the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not as good as Lock Stock or Snatch, but not far off.:tup:

Why Signor! When Rocknrolla came out, all I heard was people slagging it off. I saw it the other day and thought it was great fun.

Being Human is starting on BBC3 last week - I saw the pilot, oooo, 18 months ago? It was pretty good. I thought it actually started this week, so missed last weeks, but I remember the pilot being good fun.

...as three twenty-something characters trying to live a normal social life, despite being a ghost, a werewolf and a vampire.

[Edit]Although I've just read some of the comments on the BBC site, and it's not so glowing as the pilot. Maybe it's a non-recommendation. Ho hum. Move along...

Edited by Scrobbs

Ah yes I mean to post this too.

The vampire and ghost actors have changed, but the new ones are pretty good (although the ghost is too pretty IMO).

I think the first episode suffered from having to reintroduce all the characters, and retreading old ground from the pilot. Hopefully episode 2 can start moving forward more.

I know the writer, and I might have to ask him how he gets around the 'exponential vampire problem', seeing how he's used "1 bite to kill-and-turn" rules for vampires :P

I know the writer, and I might have to ask him how he gets around the 'exponential vampire problem', seeing how he's used "1 bite to kill-and-turn" rules for vampires :P

It's not, at the end of the first ep it says that you have to drink the vampire blood to turn into one.

Ah I must have missed that.

Somebody once calculated the exponential growth of vampirism, given 1-bite-to-turn, one feeding per vampire night and new vampires rising 24 hours after death.

In those circumstances, it takes 33 days to convert the entire world.

Yesterday evening I watched V for Vendetta with my lady (it was her first time, so that's pretty special I think), and it struck me how odd it was that I had never seriously considered cosplaying as V. Especially when she told me that my voice and manner of speaking are quite similar to V's (I've always had that 'erudite' thing going on and have a peculiar way of speaking a bit 'posh', for lack of a better term.) I suddenly realised that I cannot do without owning a proper Fawkesian mask. Does anyone here perchance know where I can get a quality copy (and not a flimsy plastic version)? Not that I aim to spend hunn'rs, but up to 35 Euro should be acceptable.

The £10 plastic ones are actually quite sturdy, compared to other plastic masks, and can be found in most decent fancy-dress stores. For better quality than that, I dunno.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the plastic, it really depends on the quality. The cheaper the better of course =) Carnivalstores in Holland usually suck major balls though, so I should just skim the sci-fi conventions around. But it's still tricky. Online shops will often be the most convenient source, so that's why I thought maybe a few of you (Anonymous-minded peeps perhaps) might know something.

I suddenly realised that I cannot do without owning a proper Fawkesian mask. Does anyone here perchance know where I can get a quality copy (and not a flimsy plastic version)? Not that I aim to spend hunn'rs, but up to 35 Euro should be acceptable.

The official ones that came out with the film look pretty decent quality to me (surprisingly so).

UK: http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=38257

yeah that's the one I meant. They also have a little foam pad at the forehead which makes them comfortable to wear.

Of course if you're really serious you can make your own. You can buy blank papier maché masks for customisation; the added weight is nicer than card or plastic.

(I've always had that 'erudite' thing going on and have a peculiar way of speaking a bit 'posh', for lack of a better term.)

For some reason I've always assumed this about you. I think it *might* be something to do with the Emperor Zombie avatar you had when I returned here after a few years ;)

There are a couple of good costume stores in my city, if you have no joy online let me know and I'll go take a look at what's there for you.

Thanks for the Forbidden Planet link, Thunderpeel. That might be a good mask, in any case for starters =) Problem is, if you're going for a full costume, the ones they have there are usually not really a good fit. Custom making one is very difficult/expensive, on the other hand. But it doesn't have to be done in a short while. Let's first start with the basics. Don't have a credit card though, only paypal. Ah well, I'll be going to America at the end of the year anyway, so chances are good I'll find something proper over there immediately. Still a long ways away... yikes!

I went to the International Film Festival Rotterdam special volkskrant day. (The volkskrant is a national newspaper here and one of the sponsors of the festival)

It's a day full with the best movies from the festival. I saw five movies in one day. It was pretty awesome. Four great movies and one dud.

I can heartily recommend the following movies:

And if you want to bore yourself with a too long movie about st Petersburg in the '50s and '60s go watch Room and a half.