ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Well, at risk of being completely ostracised for this, I went to the cinema last night (under duress initially, as I'm getting sick to the back teeth at having to get angry at people for talking to each other, on the phone etc.), but I'd had a shit day and wanted something light hearted and easy viewing...so we went to see 'Role Models'. Pleasantly surprised, it was actually quite funny. Anyway, it did the job and raised my mood, so here's a recommendation for it.

:tup:

Last week I saw Che: Part One. As a rampant leftie myself I very much approve :tup: Del Toro was a great casting choice, the script was tight, and although it was more a document of the revolution than a portrait of an icon, it was undeniably well executed, with a little comedy thrown into the mix, some utterly brutal moments, and action that infact out-actions a lot of Segal and Schwarzenegger films. Good start to 09 for films, 4/5 (is it OK to score films?)

Tonight I saw Slumdog Millionaire. Not so enamoured with it, but it was still more than worth a watch. It's another endearing tale of courage in the face of adversity and even with Boyle at the helm, the mainstream sheen can't help but rear its head. Solid tale, I actually quite enjoyed it, but I feel it could have been a bit more grounded. It kind of seemed like an art house poseur. The overly ridiculous plot would have worked better as a comedy than a drama as well, but without the Trainspotting director it could have been awful and overindulged itself, 3/5.

Just saw Slumdog millionaire I enjoyed it, but can't believe it is touted as a feel good film (saw one advert that described it as as the feel good movie of the decade.

spoiler:

it's like being raped for an hour but then having the fact that you had an orgasm at the end somehow make up for the horror you endured.

I didn't think it was that grim, it should have been even grittier in my opinion.

I didn't think it was that grim, it should have been even grittier in my opinion.

I agree, but I still wouldn't say it is a feel good film.

The first series is brilliant. The second series was good too, but I didn't think it was quite as good or unique. Judging by that trailer, both series are being shown, so everybody wins.

You can, of course, watch the entire first series quite easily on YouTube, as all episodes other than the pilot are under ten minutes long (and the aforementioned pilot is probably too long for the format).

Anyway, everybody should watch it, because for some reason my opinion is important. No, 1 am is not an unreasonable hour. Shut up.

Thants for your attention on this matter.

Here's a hot scoop for y'all; a friend of a friend is involved in the photography for Watchmen and has just uploaded these shots a few minutes ago.

You are amongst the first people on the whole of the intawebs to see these. :)

Edit: They're to compliment The New Frontiersman btw, a new site which I think is going to be positioned as a viral for the film.

Ta Wrestle :)

Did anyone else watch the 3rd series of Heroes? Man, it was ass.

They started off doing all kinds of interesting things with Sylar and made him into more than a melodramatic villainous caricature, had good heroes turning very bad in some cases against their own will, had an ambiguous antagonist that might have been doing the right thing for all anyone knew, and

wrote Daniel Linderman back in

Then they

casually offed the antagonist after never really going into his motives and revealing his big plan to be a bunch of super powered soldiers, and found a way to reset just about every character that wasn't killed off.

:fart:

Meh ¬¬

I've been watching some older shows. Lost in Space was the first (the robot died yesterday morning;()

Also started watching... bum bum bum ba! Star Trek. Awesome show!

Ta Wrestle :)

I actually enjoyed season 3.. although I'm not sure why.

I think the biggest problem was the writers apparent inability to commit to anything. Some crazy twist happens, and then the next episode it gets replaced by a new twist. Major characters come and go. Powers change and unchange and something that might have been of deep importance never gets mentioned again. After a while you stop caring. It's like the show has Attention Deficit Disorder.

But for some reason I still enjoyed it :tmeh:

Just finished watching series 1 for the first time... :shifty: Jeez! So many open questions/massive gaping plot-holes at the end. The writers clearly don't have a clue (and hoped the audience wouldn't notice).

Still, it was rather entertaining, even if it didn't make any sense.

I just finished watching the first episode of Skins Series 3.

Was great. Not sure many others here fit into the target demographic though :fart:

Not sure many others here fit into the target demographic though :fart:

You need to work on your equations, junior. That should be:

{:oldman::fart:× n}

In other news: I finished - and I mean properly finished, finito, done, no more - The Wire last night. The close of season 5 is wonderful and only served to validate watching the entire series from start to finish all the more. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. :clap:

So, I have started on Weeds as my lunchtime viewing now. I've just watched the first episode of season 1 and was laughing out loud in the staff kitchen probably far too much. Very, very good and something I think I could get Mrs V into as well.

Wrestlevania, do try to get to see weeds. It's the best tv-show I've seen this year. (Yes. better than BSG) :tup:

Thanks for your original prompt, ys. It's exactly the sort of TV I like. :)