ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

RED was terrible, I don't recommend it to anyone. The performances are fun, but the action is all tired except for one good fight scene between Bruce and Karl Urban, and the plot makes even less sense than The Expendables.

Easy A :tup: - Witty, smart, funny throwback to John Hughes movies. See it.

The Kids Are Alright :tup: - Great enjoyable drama.

Winter's Bone :tup: :tup: - Slow but beautiful and moving.

Another Year :tup: :tup: - Very slow, but has a great way of getting under your skin. (Could have done without the funeral scene, I think.)

Hmm, yeah the unspoken trend seems to be that we rate things as :tdown:, :tmeh: or :tup:.

Multiples are added for emphasis. Combinations for nuance.

It's an open interval.

[Maths] That doesn't mean anything other than the interval isn't closed (-1,1) (all numbers but between -1 and 1 are included) is an open interval though [-1,1] (the same but including -1 and 1) is closed. [/Maths]

RED was terrible, I don't recommend it to anyone. The performances are fun, but the action is all tired except for one good fight scene between Bruce and Karl Urban, and the plot makes even less sense than The Expendables.

It's entirely possible, what with my watching three movies a year in theatres, that bbX might be better informed on this one than I am.

I tend to avoid action movies in general, so. . .yeah.

[Maths] That doesn't mean anything other than the interval isn't closed (-1,1) (all numbers but between -1 and 1 are included) is an open interval though [-1,1] (the same but including -1 and 1) is closed. [/Maths]

You accidentally some words and mixed use of what parenthesis and also mathematical as punctuation.

You can do it!

Yes, you can. It's one of my favourite areas of mathematics, behind group theory.

Ironically, an accidentally parenthesis broke your link. Anyway, I think we should stop discussing intervals in this thread, and maybe move it to a separate interval only thread.

I don't know. They're all excellent films, let's put it that way.

But some are more excellent than others?

I haven't seen anything new much. Still going through Simpsons while I work on stuff. I only have a few episodes left until I'm done with Season 5, but I think this is where the show starts to get bad. About half so far this season have been garbage while the other half good as usual.

I guess it's strange to figure out what went wrong, because Matt Groening keeps saying on the commentary in kind of an obnoxious way about how hard he worked to keep the "cartooniness" out of the animation and keep the show more real, but as the show goes on, the characters get progressively less real for me and the situations becoming classic Saturday morning over the top cartoon.

Maybe it was just Al Jean and Mike Reiss keeping the show strong? I don't know.

I do agree with Matt Groening on eliminating the floaty over expressive stuff that animators tend to cram in their stuff as well as the wonky slamming doors and other things like that, so I think seasons 2 and 3 had the best animation. After that, it just seemed to go overboard with the style and everything is now kind of stilted and jerky with the movements.

Also, the dream sequences seemed like a good place to express the weird cartoon situations instead of actually doing it in the show and just cutting as if to say, "oh well," but that way of doing things seems completely eliminated now.

I'm also really not into the Homer becoming more stupid thing, even though I guess it didn't bother me when watching the show as a kid. I also was way more engaged when the Simpsons had to balance their budget as a usual thing rather than a plot device that comes and goes when needed. According to the commentary, the writers seem pretty satisfied with themselves for fluctuating the show's reality and Homer becoming more dumb, so maybe what this show was meant to be is not for me.

I was also pretty irked at the creators bashing the Korean animators during Season 3's commentary on multiple episodes. It was kind of getting downright mean.

Anyway, two more seasons to go and then I'm done. I'm hoping maybe the ridiculousness is scaled back in the next two for the idiocy of Season 5, but I guess I'm not counting on it. The Christmas episode where Bart steals a video game was very memorable and heart warming, so if the show can still output that quality in Season 7, maybe I'm still in for a treat.

Also Season 7 of House has been pretty bad or unmemorable so far.

I'm quite interested in hearing how this progresses, SG... I seem to remember the show really starting to slide, but I could never remember when it happened. It's interesting that you're noting a change as early as Season 5. Conan O'Brien left the writing team halfway through, apparently, but I imagine that would have affected the latter half of it, if affected it at all.

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, "Cape Feare" was the last episode made by the "original team". Everyone started to leave at the beginning of Season 5.

Looking through the episode list, some faves from S5 leap out:

Barbershop Quartet

Cape Feare

I guess that's the strange thing, I don't like Cape Feare at all. Never really have, even though it's from the team I guess I feel was golden. I didn't expect to see the show start to slide so soon either, being somewhat confused that this isn't really the order I remember the episodes in.

I'm not really sure it has a ton to do with Conan O'Brien, but there seems to be talk on the commentaries that everyone was a little confused or in shambles during Season 5 with lots of people leaving and and being hired. I guess that's why the episodes seem so different sometimes? One will be way too over the top, yet the following episode will still be somewhat down to earth.

Maybe it has something to do with Dave Mirkin? He seems obsessed with things exploding and extreme cut away gags, while I feel like maybe that's not what I'm looking for in the show because that wacky stuff works more effectively with more rounded and dynamic animation in my opinion.

But I did like the Barbershop Quartet episode a lot and everything before Season 5 has really been great, even the episodes with the really rough animation on the first season. Even if this hasn't been a good show for over a decade, it's really nice to revisit it and see how great it once was (and how ridiculous the controversy was back then over such a harmless show). It's lame because I doubt this would have impacted me when I watched them as a kid, but the love the family has for eachother is a major drawing point and it seems to have started dissipating already.

Originally I must have stopped watching the show midway through season 10 just browsing an episode guide, but probably for way different reasons.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

That's cool. I started looking through the episode list for Season 5, and while I definitely remembered most of the shows, it was only really the Barber Shop Quartet that REALLY stuck out. I did enjoy Cape Feare, though.

Which episodes are good in Season 5 do you think, so far? I'm really quite interested in all this -- I've even asked about it before.

Films I've seen recently:

Exit through the gift shop. Very entertaining and I would love the idea of Mr Brainwash being an elaborate hoax. Go watch this! :tup::tup:

City Island. Entertaining movie about a prison guard and his family who tell eachother nothing. He tells his wife he goes away every week to play poker while in secret he goes to acting class. I really liked this. :tup:

Requem for detroit A BBC documentary about this once great city and how fucked up it is now. :tup:

The first episode of the Walking Dead showed up on Halloween. I haven't read the comics so I'm looking at it purely as a TV show, and I can see potential, but I'm reserving judgement until it's more developed.

The first episode's ending was pretty awesome, though.