Oath

Team Fortress 2 and Portal

A community game sounds good to me, although I'm selfish enough to require that the server be in Europe as I seriously am incapable of enjoying a cross-pond ping and will end up leaving in frustration. :fart:

The funny thing is TF2 is remarkably playable with a higher ping. I've been playing regularly on US server without serious effects.

But since most of us Thumbers are from the EU (right?) using a EU server shouldn't be a problem I think? I know that danJW and Spaff are in some kind of clan and have a server. Maybe we could (ab)use that one for this event? :)

Now all we need is a date and time.

Aye, it would be great to see you all on the server of The Bearded Clan. I will post the server address closer to the time, probably on the Idle Thumbs steam group rather than here.

I tried TF2 for about three minutes and remembered that I really don't like competitive multiplayer.

Sounds like someone's a bit girly!

Yufster, of course.

I saw a pretty good strategy for cp_granary the other day.

My team were rushing the map with scouts and won a few games that way. Then the opposing team did the same, but backed the scouts with two pyros.

They generally arrive before the 4 -5 scouts are done fighting over the centre point, incinerate the enemy scouts, and it's capped. Same combo plus the rest of the team for the next point, then a spy sneaks to the last point and starts capping while the enemies all rush past to try and retake their forward point.

Both teams were uncoordinated bunches of strangers, but that strat led to a couple of stupidly fast wins.

I tried TF2 for about three minutes and remembered that I really don't like competitive multiplayer.

Just as well you gave it a good amount of time to change your mind then.... :frusty:

Just as well you gave it a good amount of time to change your mind then.... :frusty:

Enough to see that nothing, from my point of view, has changed, except it's stylish now.

What? You claim it's somehow fundamentally different than other multiplayer FPS games, especially TFC?

Don't... really... like competitive multiplayer?

Man. Those mere words are like telling Jesus that the wine he just produced from some water tastes like arse shit. :tdown:

I'm glad someones mentioned UT3 - playing the beta really makes you appreciate the attention to detail in TF2.

Nachimir: another strategy perhaps, (well not one I was aware of anyway), is the chaining of medics. I noticed this when I joined your game the other night and it seemed to work quite well were it not for the lack of offensive players to take advantage of it.

What? You claim it's somehow fundamentally different than other multiplayer FPS games, especially TFC?

The fundamental difference being that the style is based on functionality, and becomes an integral part of the gameplay.

No, it's not superficial. The style determines how the game is played. Without the easily decipherable silhouettes of each of the classes, the game would be a whole lot different. If the heavy class isn't a big mother-fucker, with a huge gun, you wouldn't be afraid of going into a one-on-one with him. If the game didn't give the player visual cues to almost every gameplay aspect (the spy mask, f.ex.), the game would be a lot harder for players to learn, and ultimately master.

I'm not a big fan of online shooters, but I really like Team Fortress 2, especially because of the art style and distinctive classes.

However, if you don't like multiplayer FPS games at all, which seems to be brkl's case, I'd imagine that TF2 isn't going to do it for you either. Despite all the differences, many distinctive online shooter elements that one may hate are still there.

What about the medic ? In the last few months I've fallen for Enemy territory (Not Quake Wars) because the medic is a 100% support class which doesn't need to be skilled at fraging but rather need to have a good analysis skills... is it the same in TF2 ?

Last night was the first time I tested medic properly and found out to my surprise that I actually liked it. Our team was doing shit defending the last point in dustbowl, and we had no medics so I decided to give it a try. I started following the only (but not that skilled) heavy in our team while always keeping my cover. When he occasionally decided to go too far from the point we were defending, I didn't follow him but started boosting someone else. Needless to say he usually died shortly after, and when he respawned I could start aiding him again. After a while spies started to try and kill me, but they mostly got ripped to pieces by my pet heavy or one of the sentry guns near me. One of the spies managed to hit me in the face with his knife, however, so I shot him full of syringes and headed for the nearest dispenser.

Anyway, I managed to stay alive for the rest of the level (about 17 minutes) and got 37 points. Compare that with my pathetic earlier record of 5 minutes and 9 points as a soldier. Thus, if you are not that skilled at fraging, you may still do really well as a medic at TF2 too.