No they're unrelated, just similar theme and structure.

Nichijou is just the Japenese term for "daily life". Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou means "Daily Lives of High School Boys". I was very confused the first time somebody asked me if I'd seen Nichijou and we ended up talking about two entirely different shows.

Personally I prefer the High School Boys show, especially the Literary Girl segments.

I don't watch any anime. The thing that I liked about this show was that it takes a lot of anime tropes and inserts it into mundane life. Also it doesn't sexualize any of its characters (they're all drawn like weird cubey people), which makes me feel way less creepy for watching a show about high school girls.

There are lots of great shows that don't exclusively sexualize high school girls. I'm sure you knew that though :P

That's also why High School Boys' Nichijou is so good! It's not as stylized, artistically, but it also doesn't sexualize any high school characters.

Ok I just finished Nichijou. I have a crazy amount of post series depression, especially considering that the series is just a string of skits with little plot connection (the best). How do people watch whole TV shows back to back and not become horrible twitching masses of tears and cheetos at the end.

Ok I just finished Nichijou. I have a crazy amount of post series depression, especially considering that the series is just a string of skits with little plot connection (the best). How do people watch whole TV shows back to back and not become horrible twitching masses of tears and cheetos at the end.

They never come down, they just watch more series. Maybe try Azumanga Daioh or Daily Lives of High School Boys if you want more of the same?

Ah thanks. I've heard bad things about azumanga daioh, specifically that it doubles down on the waifu aspect.

Which idk, I'm not particularly averse to.

Azumanga Daioh is the ORIGIN of the waifu meme, but also has like none of what you're probably thinking of. It's just a one-off line from the creepy teacher when he's showing a picture of his wife to someone, I think.

(Yes he is a creepy teacher and watches the young girls swim and is a pedo (though does not act on it beyond blatantly staring). So take that for what you will.)

Ah thanks. I've heard bad things about azumanga daioh, specifically that it doubles down on the waifu aspect.

Which idk, I'm not particularly averse to.

Azumanga Daioh is the ORIGIN of the waifu meme, but also has like none of what you're probably thinking of. It's just a one-off line from the creepy teacher when he's showing a picture of his wife to someone, I think.

(Yes he is a creepy teacher and watches the young girls swim and is a pedo (though does not act on it beyond blatantly staring). So take that for what you will.)

I'd say there is zero sexualization of female bodies in Azumanga Daioh, beyond the background sexualization that's just the patriarchy. The waifu stuff is from a single character who exists explicitly and exclusively to parody and criticize the willingness of certain adults to fetishize high school girls. If you were to cut him completely out of the six hundred-minute running time of the series, you would still have something like five hundred and eight four minutes remaining.

I always secretly hoped that Sakaki and Kaorin got together after graduation.

Just sayin'.

I'd say there is zero sexualization of female bodies in Azumanga Daioh, beyond the background sexualization that's just the patriarchy. The waifu stuff is from a single character who exists explicitly and exclusively to parody and criticize the willingness of certain adults to fetishize high school girls. If you were to cut him completely out of the six hundred-minute running time of the series, you would still have something like five hundred and eight four minutes remaining.

Yes and all that too!

Anyway, it's a good anime, but in my opinion it is miles behind Nichijou in terms of pure entertainment value. I unfortunately watched them in the same order you would be if you decided to, and I wish I had gotten to them in the opposite order. I was sort of let down! AFAIK, Azumanga Daioh is the progenitor of that type of anime?

(Daily Lives of High School Boys is my favorite of the bunch, but I think that's mostly because I did a lot of weird shit like they do in high school so I guess I just identify with it more.)

Azumanga Daioh is the Seinfeld of anime.

And K-On! is Friends?

I don't know where to fit Lucky Star in that framework. It's always gotten a lot of undeserved hate for being the crossover point of Key-style moe into slice-of-life comedy. I like it a lot, but unlike Azumanga, it's definitely aware that the people watching it are twenty-something guys and the people being watched are high-school girls.

I can't tell if that's an insult or not, people either love or loathe the Big Bang Theory. 

She's trying to bait me into a big rant about how The Big Bang Theory is about superficial geek fanservice while Lucky Star is about genuine otaku fanservice, but I will not be tempted. Your plan fails, tegan!

This is a deep rabbit hole.

I think I'll stay away from it.

I am now watching Tatami Galaxy, recommended by an acquaintance. It looks like the twin peaks of anime (I have never watched twin peaks or much anime so that sentence is pure, 100% distilled garbage).

She's trying to bait me into a big rant about how The Big Bang Theory is about superficial geek fanservice while Lucky Star is about genuine otaku fanservice, but I will not be tempted. Your plan fails, tegan!

actually I meant that they're both

terrible.

Tatami Galaxy is fantastic.

But also nothing like Twin Peaks.

Well beside the surreal feel to it all.

Anyway it's one of my favorites so you're welcome.

I like that it seems to deviate from popular styles.

Are there more good cartoons like this?

I enjoy them for the aesthetics.

More abstract stuff.

THIS ISNT CARTTOONS THIS IS AMINE

Hmmm for Cool Art basically everything by Massaki Yuusa is great: The Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong, Mind Game, Kemonozume are the ones I've seen, in no particular order (as well as his work on single episodes of Wakfu, Adventure Time, and Space Dandy - which I didn't realize he'd done work on, but looking back it's incredibly obvious - good episode, too).

I think I'd particularly recommend Mind Game. It's a movie, but it's fuuuuuuuucking great. I don't actually remember much of Kemonozume, and I saw it before I really knew who Yuasa was, so I can't recommend that. But yeah if you like Tatami, watch Mind Game. And Ping Pong.

For less abstract wackiness that still embraces surreality, one of the more recent ones I've really enjoyed (though not seen an echoed sentiment anywhere ;_; ) is Arakawa Under the Bridge. A guy discovers and joins a wacky cast of outcasts living under a bridge, including a bunch of people who believe and act in full seriousness as a kappa (human turtle demon thing if you don't know), an alien, and other weird stuff. That makes it sound pretty cartoonish and gag-filled, and it can be, but it's got some real sincerity to it that I super appreciate.

What I don't know I'm mostly rambling.

I'll just list a few more weird ones, I guess, without explanation or context, just sorta randomly picked from among my large pool of "favorites": The Eccentric FamilySamurai FlamencoKino's JourneyHumanity Has Declined.

also

also

MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI MUSHISHI 

For less abstract wackiness that still embraces surreality, one of the more recent ones I've really enjoyed (though not seen an echoed sentiment anywhere ;_; ) is Arakawa Under the Bridge. A guy discovers and joins a wacky cast of outcasts living under a bridge, including a bunch of people who believe and act in full seriousness as a kappa (human turtle demon thing if you don't know), an alien, and other weird stuff. That makes it sound pretty cartoonish and gag-filled, and it can be, but it's got some real sincerity to it that I super appreciate.

All Shinbo-directed anime is great. Even Bakemonogatari deserves a spin, though I'll never forgive it or Arakawa for not being Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei.

Actually, it's really telling how distinctive a style Shinbo has that I was watching the new Blu-ray of WataMote (which I'm coming to believe is a really important anime from a "state of the medium" perspective) and wondered if it was a Shaft production. Nope, it's Silver Link, which also did the surprisingly not-terrible Kokoro Connect, but the director is a protégé of Shinbo. I like both of them.

You keep bringing up Zetsubou so I guess I have to add it to my watch list. ):

Also: Yuasa's Space Dandy episode:

tumblr_n8zvbpPv3T1qe3p9bo1_500.gif

YEP!