Sign in to follow this  
BigJKO

Sony: "We're arrogant and powerful! Fear us!"

Don't know if we need another Sony thread, but this has to be one of the most arrogant quotes I've heard in a long time. From an interview with David Reeves:

We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games.

I never really hated Sony until now. They don't deserve their number one spot any longer.

I agree with that, but not even that much out of spite (though they're really pushing the envelope on arrogance here :shifty:). A few years back Nintendo was quite famed for it's closed-off attitude and arrogance towards especially the Western market as well. But after they became the underdog that changed dramatically and look at them now: they're very open, very forward-thinking and very sympathetic. It'd do Sony good to fall on their faces and be forced to adjust their ways of thinking as well. Right now they've reached the pinnacle of their haughtiness and are ready to be toppled. After that they'll emerge as a fresher and better company.

It's like hearing General Motors declaring "You know, our cars would still have sold a lot even if oil hadn't existed."

Sony seem to be pitching the PS3, to any potential purchasers in the first 6 months of its life, as a cheap BluRay player that also happens to play games. This is in line with the perception that I recall from the first 6 months of the PS2's life - people were buying it as a cheap DVD player and maybe buying a game or two.

The quote has no context, so it's possible he meant it like that. Either way, it's okay for them to say that kind of stuff in their private meetings, but it should never be said in public. (Duh.)

On a side note, what is it with the guys in Europe being the ones who have no tact when it comes to communicating with the public. Just the other day, there was that story about a Nintendo UK guy going on the rampage, accusing Sony of "stealing" or something, whereas previously NOA had just pulled out the "imitation is flattery" line.

I agree with that, but not even that much out of spite (though they're really pushing the envelope on arrogance here :shifty:). A few years back Nintendo was quite famed for it's closed-off attitude and arrogance towards especially the Western market as well. But after they became the underdog that changed dramatically and look at them now: they're very open, very forward-thinking and very sympathetic. It'd do Sony good to fall on their faces and be forced to adjust their ways of thinking as well. Right now they've reached the pinnacle of their haughtiness and are ready to be toppled. After that they'll emerge as a fresher and better company.

I see nintendo's shift more as a change in leadership from that guy who had never played a game and was proud of it (can't quite remember his name right now) to Iwata, who had been designing and playing for a long time. As I recall, this was just around the launch of the 'cube, and you can see how their strategy has changed since. Sony would do well to ditch Kuturagi and get someone in there who legitimately enjoys playing with things.

I see nintendo's shift more as a change in leadership from that guy who had never played a game and was proud of it (can't quite remember his name right now) to Iwata, who had been designing and playing for a long time. As I recall, this was just around the launch of the 'cube, and you can see how their strategy has changed since.

Ah, that might be it too. Regardless, underdog positions are always starting points for breeding goodwill.