Sign in to follow this  
hermes

Loom

ohh clever are we ... :hmph:

I could have got that image from anywhere....

eg. http://images.google.dk/images?q=tbn:ShFN7nfDZ2AJ:www.classicgaming.com/agisci/images/loom.gif

it is from Hotu anyways - but thats not the bloody point... I want some remembrance here.... I thought it was a great game..... why isn't anyone exploring strange game-concepts like this anymore - or maybe they are and it is just me being stupid.... sorry

Ahh, the memories.

I do adore the purple and the yellow and the orange all together. That's a very stylish picture. It's great!

...Oh, the next one? Yeah. Loom's a great game...there are several games that I think better of, though. I have dreamed of turning people into fat, messy, white birds.

I hated Loom... It was an interesting concept, but I didn't enjoy the game at all. And everybody said it had great music... But only in the same way as my game could have great music if I used goddamn Tchaikovsky.

On the other hand, I never played Loom when it was new, and it's always hard to play and enjoy games you've never played before, that are 15 years old...

Well i don't know anything - I feel kind kind of stupid now.... linking to stupid go here pics and I don't what..... anyways - I'm reading to much to my exams and I'm clearly going crazy ... sorry....

I love Loom. It had some of the best atmosphere I've seen in an adventure game.

Yes, that's it... The atmosphere...ohh the erie mysterious atmosphere, the mesmerizing gameplay, the tantalizing music ....

got carried a bit away there... but yeah especially the atmosphere was special....

Well, I guess I didn't play an awful lot of it. But I heard a lot of people praising it for having a wonderful original storyline and a fantastic soundtrack, and I never really understood that because I could see a lot of the story borrowed from various fairytales and legends and the music borrowed from classical composers. So the praise seemed a little undeserved, if anything. Although it did have a great, original interface which I appreciated.

It also had a very LotR-style feeling to it, sometimes, and I was never crazy about LotR.

But like I said, I never played far in to it. If anybody thinks I would enjoy it and they can prove me wrong, sure, I'll dig it out.

Well, I guess I didn't play an awful lot of it. But I heard a lot of people praising it for having a wonderful original storyline and a fantastic soundtrack, and I never really understood that because I could see a lot of the story borrowed from various fairytales and legends and the music borrowed from classical composers. So the praise seemed a little undeserved, if anything. Although it did have a great, original interface which I appreciated.

The concept of the world was quite unique in games, and borrowing music from classical composers doesn't make the soundtrack bad, it in fact makes it good if you like those composers.

It also had a very LotR-style feeling to it, sometimes, and I was never crazy about LotR.

Er... I don't see it.

But like I said, I never played far in to it. If anybody thinks I would enjoy it and they can prove me wrong, sure, I'll dig it out.

I haven't a clue if you'd enjoy it.

The concept of the world was quite unique in games, and borrowing music from classical composers doesn't make the soundtrack bad, it in fact makes it good if you like those composers.

I don't agree... I think that when an entire soundtrack is taken from another source, that's overdoing it. I'd rather hear an original soundtrack than recycled classical music. And though I loved the original pieces used... not in MIDI format I didn't. I like Moonlight Sonata, but not every time my cel phone rings. (Note to self: change ringtone)

Also, I found the world similar to the fairytale world of the Kings Quest games (and probably some other games that I haven't thought of yet), so it didn't seem particularly unique to me.

Ah, Loom. One of the best non-standard adventure games EVER. If a little easy (especially for musicians)...

Ha ha ha, maybe that's why my sister was so useless at it. She's tone deaf.

I don't agree... I think that when an entire soundtrack is taken from another source, that's overdoing it

errrr 2001 - A Space Odyssey ?

'errrr 2001 - A Space Odyssey' what? You say it like it proves a point...

I would prefer an original soundtrack in a game or a movie, regardless of what game or movie it is.

That's my opinion.

This isn't a good thing to admit right after I admit not liking loom, but... I hate 2001 - A Space Odyssey, anyway.

I don't know about the movie, but I know that bookwise 2010 was waaaaay better than 2001.

But 2010 the movie was total crap.

Even though it had three good actors, Dana Elcar, Rob Schneidera and John Lithgow

2010 (the movie) has its moments. Feels like a cheap cash-in though. and it tries to explain itself too much. and some of the explanation is ridiculous and belittles 2001.

The CD version sucked. The original was much better.

I agree. Too much missing content! And the fact that music has to stop for spoken dialogues...

remember the audio tape that came with Loom? it was all dramatic and foreboding and stuff. yeah, i loved that game. although i loved it more because it came bundled with Secret of Monkey Island.

someone was talking about emergent gameplay in another thread. remember the part in loom where you had to stop the dragon from stealing sheep. i think you could either turn the sheep green or cast some other spell to freak them all out and make them leave. the only other two-solution puzzle I can remember from that time period was the Orat part in the first Space Quest. the origins of non-linear gaming?

In monkey island 1 there are two ways to light to fuse of the cannon.

Seriously. Because you were supposed to use the leaflet you got earlier in the game, but you didn't have to use the leaflet, so the testers figured out that you could get stuck unless you got the leaflet. So there's something else you can burn too. Stans Business Card I think.

SO anyways...

I have dreamed of turning people into fat, messy, white birds.

You should come to Brighton, there's loads of fat, messy, white birds here. Sharans we call them.

:yep: