Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Excessive amount of Guitar Hero sequels

Holy crap. Awesome, but too much. My fingers just can't take that much strain...

I want the Metal version \m/

I just got this game and it's awesome! I don't know why but for some reason I keep on going back to playing Boston's More Than A Feeling. I feel dirty...

The only problem with sequels like this is that after playing Guitar Hero so much, the sequels will be either excessively easy for the veteran or excessively hard for the newcomer. I don't know how much harder you CAN get than Cowboys from Hell or Bark At The Moon anyway.

Agreed. Cowboys from hell was by far the hardest on medium, and now that I'm on expert, that entire bracket makes me want to weep.

quick question (and I haven't played the game or seen the guitar thingy in person, but have read articles about it): I assumed that the guitar device actually helped you learn guitar, but on the derailed Gondry thread someone commented that it didn't.

So does the game teach you anything about playing guitar, or is it just fun?

Yeah, I just found an image online:

http://games.shizzle.be/wp-content/images/061105_guitar-hero-gitaar.jpg

Looks like you just use five frets, and no different strings, so I guess that answers my question. I assume the game has more appeal to people who don't know how to play guitar but want a thrill (?). (I say this because now that I know this, I have no interest in playing the game.)

It.. kind of inspires you to understand the guitar a bit more. A slight insight into what it must take perhaps. People that play the guitar definately do better at the game.

quick question (and I haven't played the game or seen the guitar thingy in person, but have read articles about it): I assumed that the guitar device actually helped you learn guitar, but on the derailed Gondry thread someone commented that it didn't.

So does the game teach you anything about playing guitar, or is it just fun?

I wouldn't think so in as much as Gran Turismo teaches you to drive a car. However, much like playing Gran Turismo can help you have a better understanding of car tuning and racing lines, Guitar Hero can give you a better appreciation of what it takes to play guitar and it does help hand mobility. At least, for me it did. Took me a while to adjust to using my pinkie and shifting my hand down the neck and all that. :innocent:

Oh, so you do shift down the neck? The picture I saw looked like you only use the first position, with the buttons on the first five frets.

I dunno, I'll probably try it at a friend's place some time and see if my skills help me win.

Took me a while to adjust to using my pinkie and shifting my hand down the neck and all that.

Without the rest of your post, that sounds quite scary.

Without the rest of your post, that sounds quite scary.

I have appropriately updated my post.

Oh, so you do shift down the neck?

Not much, but yeah. There are five buttons afterall and only four fingers. I guess you could hold it so that you can use your thumb too, but that might be more awkward than needed.

It.. kind of inspires you to understand the guitar a bit more. A slight insight into what it must take perhaps. People that play the guitar definately do better at the game.

Not always, I know someone that's a pretty decent guitarist but is horrible at the game.

On another note, I hope Guitar Hero 2 doesn't have pop punk this time (Sum41, The Donnas). The inclusion of Metallica and Faith No More would also be nice.

Well, I've played guitar since I was 10 and I've played guitar hero almost every night since I picked it up over three months ago now. It's completely different from the actual instrument with the exception of the shape of the controller. Just buttons and a bar, but that doesn't make it any less fun. It's a hell of a game, but has not a whole lot to do with guitar aside from shape and the fact that it makes music. Getting good at the game (for me, anyway) was almost like learning a new, but somewhat similar, instrument. Plus, no matter how good you are with the real thing, some of the wicked-fast solos on the higher difficulty levels WILL challenge you.

But where I ask is God gave rock and roll to you or even Don't fear the reaper

come on Red Octane, hear our pleas.

I could definitely go for some KISS as well, Spaff. Although I have to disagree with you on Don't Fear the Reaper. Great a song as it is, we've already got my favorite Blue Oyster Cult in "Godzilla," and you don't want to hear too much from any band. Maybe in the third or fourth one, they'd be ok to start repeating bands. It's kinda cheap that they have both Sabbath and Ozzy on the first one, but technically, I guess they're all right. Anyway, yeah. I'm hoping for no repeat bands until the second or third sequel, but KISS is needed. Badly.