Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

A generation of irrelevance

I don't see anyone who isn't interested in gaming ploping down $400-$500 on the unit alone. For that money they need to include a freaking game.

I'm probably going with nintendo, simply because I don't have the money to keep buying a new system for those prices.

Has it occured to anyone else that one of these console companies may fold under after this generation? It's not like it was in the old days, where consoles were kid money... we're talking 400 bucks here... there's a lot more to lose in the market place.

I know, I was planning on buying one, but when I read the 400 dollar price AND that they don't include a freakin' game.......too much.

They're really not pandering to the college student budget, which (I believe) is still their core demographic. I sense some failures heading our way...

Of course, these next years will become horrible for us, as we're right in the middle of reaching the lowest point in the uncanny valley. Creepy deathmasks of realism ahoy!

Behold your worst nightmare!

:oldman: The only revolutionary thing I painfully wish for in gaming is for the industry to grow the fuck up. You know, things like treating women and people who are not white male nerds with more respect in terms of representation, less stereotyping, an aggressive concerted effort to destigmatize games and gaming culture, and more focus on innovative quality and originality.

Cripes, Vimes, that was scary! I've seen some other examples. I believe there's an Alias licence game that has a facial texture of the heroine that is absolutely repellent.

Trep: I don't see this happening too soon, as the market still dominates what happens, and in this case, boobs and broad chests still sell. But I have good hopes that in an increasingly auteur-based developing environment, we'll see less stereotypical pap.

And I'd like to see people realize that games where if you breathe on someone wrong he blows up in a shower of blood and is filled with scantily clad babes and boobies does not equal mature.

I am sure we will get there eventually. When the graphics finally level out and somebody has the sense to create a platform where creative people can really get into it without learning actual programming, that's when we will get actual content in video games. At the moments to borrow terms from the "hated" movie business, I think there is simply to much "production" and too little "direction" although I hope I don't really need to mention the exceptions to this "rule".

On a positive note, I am hoping that there will be a big leap in the online side of things... I wouldn't mind an MMO experience that didn't involve using a PC.

With early reports on Huxley and APB for the 360 looking promising and the sequel to Phantasy Star on its way it could happen. Which makes me very enthusiastic.

Someone made a point about developers not having pushed any of the current consoles to their limit, and I'm inclined to agree. Unfortunately I'm not sure if that'll happen this time round either, as from what I've heard from programmers the multiple processors of the PS3 are pushing the dev teams to their limits not the other way round.

Another point I liked (Vimes?) is that current gen stuff will indeed become cheaper, so I'm going to have alot of fun on the eve of 360's release picking up a GC with as many games as I can get my grubby mitts on!

Wow, how had I missed Huxley? just got back from a Google Marathon and I must say it looks amazing - kind of like what I always wanted from an Aliens adaptation.

APB is definitely a more interesting prospect to me though - a bit more real world based, as opposed to the SciFi thing we're going to be offered with Huxley. Having been a GTA Fan boy since day one, the idea of a truely multiplayer version of the formula really works for me - I've played a lot of MTA and been frustrated by it's shortcomings - a deathmatch in a giant ghost town isn't the all action frag-fest I'm looking for. Some server admins will dish out random search and return tasks ("... find me a PCJ and return it to the Malibu Club.." etc), but it's not enough to really immerse yourself. Ultimately, it ends up a messy spawnkill-a-thon with everyone but me on the server, cheating their nuts off.

Seeing this drawn into a cohesive and entertaining package will be awesome. Cops and Robbers never loses it's playground appeal.

Huxley, yeah I kinda forgot about it though I still have the E3 (?) trailer on my computer. I am still not convinced about the first M in that, as in massively. The problem from a technical side I think, is that you can't really do player-to-player collision detection properly with an MMOG, which is why games like WoW don't have any. As soon as you get beyond a certain number of players it becomes impossible. So I would think that in some way they would have to limit the number of players within a certain area (weaponsrange at least). So I remain sceptical even though I liked the whole style a lot. Even though it is just another (MMO)FPS...

Isn't Autoduel (or whatever that Car Wars adaptation is called) going to offer full vehicle on vehicle MMORPG type action? That could be really good if it's handled properly.

He also mentions that now the revolutions won't be made by hardware but by software.

from what i have heard about the new-gen consoles (especially ps3 x8 core processor) is that they are being designed to be more forward compatible. For example, designing a game to run efficiently on 8 cores (AMD FX processor still whips the crap out of the dual core processors available for PC gaming) would be quite a daunting task and hence no real advance in the graphics has been demonstrated to its potential yet; HELL they aren't even on the market. Meanwhile i know <shit about programming but this is what my harware/software engineering friends tell me.

But back to the point, i would argue that the new gen consoles have the potential (NOTE: have...) to be more relevant in terms of gaming advances.

Firstly, the drunk 'halo' player (if this is actually the major demographic) would obviously not be found playing a PC game, so already they are opening the market for consumerism and a larger demographic of ppl. This is not unlike the mobile phone advances, in that extra's like camera's (is to DVD player) etc have produced a new generation that may not have owned half as many mobile phones if not for this 'hook'.

namely i make the comparison to hollywood (wait for it), hollywood is now experiencing it's lowest success in years with most ppl getting sick of fucken crap sequels and tv show movies (i.e. matrix 2+3 and bewitched to name but a couple) which is the same with games -> all focus has been on pumping out packages bundled with action and effects or alternatively, breasts. The new gen (i mainly refer to MS due to there broader scope 'drunk college HALO boys') will broaden the market of consumers (DVD compatibility and extra features) on top of the fact that ppl generally think higher of a console player than a PC nerd (personally i am a PC nerd). In addition to when friends are around you can all play rather than life-for-life shit on a single PC. This comes as real gamers are getting sick of the graphics>gaming experience trend.

THIS is where the idle thumb dreams have a chance... I have read the articles about drawing females into gaming and making more interesting games that appeal to everyone. In order to draw new interest into anything elitetest (i can spell good) which gaming is one of the worst; first you have to get them in then hit em with good shit -> so the DVD playing and cool graphics and having heaps of ppl owning them (as in owning the console not gettng pwned) wont improve the games straight away but it will create the audience for creative games to actually reach their market, and given the forward compatibility of the consoles they have the time to do it.

EXAMPLE, whilst i haven't played psychonaughts the thumbs suggest that it sold badly due to no-one knowing about/lack of store shelf space, now if it was available through download on MS live with reviews and demo's etc I would hazard a guess at more ppl giving it a chance. And on the thought of whether graphical revolutions are in question

So basically we went from blocks to sprites, to 3D, to shiny 3D, and now they're basically just making it shinier. It's a very small jump in comparision

there are 4 dimensions... up/down, left/right, forward/backward making up three, with time being the fourth (which i think can be exploited somewhat more than presently)

for further possibilities, read some Stephen Hawking

... a particle of spin 1 is like an arrow: it looks different from different directions. Only if one turns it round a complete revolution (360 degrees) does the particle look the same. A particle of spin 2 is like a double-headed arrow: it look the same if one turns it round half a revolution (180 degrees)... there are particles that do not look the same if one turns them through just one revolution: you have to turn them through two complete revolutions! Such particles are said to have spin ½.
:erm:

well theres my 10 cents, i dont proof read so hopefully this will fuel some more debate :clap: