Steve

Somebody justify Beyond Good & Evil to me

I didn't just say that at all. ;

Well you said that and twenty other things and mixed them all up in a big sack and dumped them on the counter.

I thought it was rushed, actually. How would you explain the dozens of pearls you earned for very simple sidequests later on?

You know, eventhough you mention it now, I don't even remember that. I was too engrossed in the world to remember how many pearls each place had.

And it could be just game design like Thrik said. Not necessarily rushing.

It does have an unfortunate side-effect of cheapening the perceived value of pearls; filling out that roll of animal photos doesn't seem too urgent when the last mission just gave you 14 pearls.

I also think it's fairly likely that one of those lotta-pearl quests (the one in which you fly to the top of the black isle and get the pearls from fighting a bunch of Vorax) was a rush job. The environment might well have been planned for use with something else, then filled up with vorax when the deadline was approaching.

Yes. :(

I was really enjoying the whole photography thing, until actually bothering with it became fairly incentiveless. Call me primitive, but I don't usually do things which border upon exploratory grinding like that without a clear reason to.

Yes. :(

I was really enjoying the whole photography thing, until actually bothering with it became fairly incentiveless. Call me primitive, but I don't usually do things which border upon exploratory grinding like that without a clear reason to.

I bet you got all the luggage in Psychonauts though.

Luggage was really easy to find, and you got concept art for it. ¬

Photographing animals is a lot of fun though, and backtracking for luggage isn't. I think I prefer the fun photography with no rewards to the unfun collection with cool rewards.

I don't know why this has really been turned into a preference, though. I'd rather both games just did it better, which could easily be done by combining the fun repetitive tasks with the fun rewards.

Sadly, I doubt we'll be seeing BGAE given a chance to do it a bit better. :~~~~~~~~~

The ending was intentional because the game originally was intended to have a sequel.

That's no excuse.

THERE WAS NO ENDING.

It wasn't a cliffhanger, it just freaking stopped. You can analyze it all you want and pretend it makes some kind of sense, but it doesn't. It was sheer and complete gibberish, attempting to create closure in about a minute of storytelling.

It seemed pretty obvious to me that there was at least another hour or two of storyline that was dropped in order to get it out for christmas.

It seemed pretty obvious to me that there was at least another hour or two of storyline that was dropped in order to get it out for christmas.

To get it out at all, I'm afraid. There's no denying that the ending is one of the weakest parts of the game, even though I got a nice, epic Starwarsian feeling from it. However, the road to the ending was enchanting enough to make it all worthwhile.

The biggest issue I have with BG&E is that Ancel resorted to the tired and irritating "Kwizatz Haderach"/"The One Ring" plot mechanism.

Seriously, I'm so sick of that plot mechanism!