Sign in to follow this  
schepton

Unreal Engine 3.0(56ker's BEWARE)

Pretty. I may be a graphics slut, but for some reason those pics barely did anything much to me. I'd rather wait for Fahrenheit. Ah well.

I agree. I haven't been wowed by mere graphics in years, to be honest. I know they're going to keep getting better and better so it's hardly awe-inspiring when they, in fact, do. It's becoming more apparent to me that oozing atmosphere is a vital part of a good game, and effective graphics are just part of that. Screenshots or gameplay footage alone just don't do it for me...

God damn!

Of course, actual levels or characters won't look anywhere near this good in actual games for a long time, but I'm still impressed with what a graphics card can do in real-time nowadays. I wonder what graphics will be like in ten or fifteen years. Or gameplay, if there still is such a thing.

Funny thing about the unreal engine 3 is that it isn't pushing so much more polygons, but using all kinds of shader tricks to make the model look ten times as complex as it really is.

Take the first screenshot chepito posted for instance. If you look closely at the central fountain's edges, you can almost count the vertexes, but as soon as you look at anything else it looks as if they are showing you a super detailed statue...

Welcome to the world of light maps, normal maps, deluxe maps, specular maps, bump maps and whateverelse maps.

I wonder what graphics will be like in ten or fifteen years.

Card-Flurry-2.jpg

(We can always hope.)

For my exclusive impressions of the Unreal 3 demo go here.

Not to be a jackass (ok, maybe to be a jackass a bit :ratchet: ), but I've totally played that game. Also that level.

BEWARE!

If you scroll this thread up & down fast, you can see the clever subliminal messages inserted by Marek.

The picture is actually a halo around that pale guys head.

Psychonauts has the best art direction in a video game ever. I mean ever.

I'm very pleased that engines are pushing themselves ahead like this. Before long, the graphics race will be over and developers will be forced to focus more on gameplay and non-realistic stuff in order to impress us. I can't wait until that happens. ;

Not to be a jackass (ok, maybe to be a jackass a bit :ratchet: ), but I've totally played that game. Also that level.

Geez.

Im depressed : just now, I've realized that the game I am the most waiting for won't even be released on my playing-games-device

Ah, sweet irony.

Heh.. over and over and over and over...