Sign in to follow this  
General Fuzzy McBitty

PS3 Game Demos at E3 Fake.

Interesting

Text for the lazy:

PS3 graphics chip unfinished – E3 demos under suspicion

Marv Burkett, nVidia's Chief Financial Officer, has revealed that the RSX chip, due to power the PS3 is currently unfinished. The chip is not due to be available to anyone until September. Which means the stunning visuals shown at E3 could not have been created on one, casting doubt on the validity of Sony claims that the visuals were real PS3 in-game footage. Burkett has commented that the visuals had been created on current nVidia hardware of roughly the same power as the RSX. That still casts some doubts on the PS3's barn-storming E3 presence, and particularly whether much of the footage (as it appeared to be) was done, at best, using the game engine to create cut-scenes, or whether it was really realtime, in-game footage.

Yeah, I'm pretty much convinced that the killzone and motorstorm videos were pre-rendered. Probably a few others as well. I'm still impressed by the ducks, cups, and unreal demos though.

The Killzone 2 video is pre-rendered, for a fact.

And as a random aside: it might actually not be of Killzone 2, but Killzone 3. Unless plans have changed dramatically, Killzone 2 is still the "quick sequel" set for PS2.

Did someone really think that it was realtime? :nuts:

Well, when the videos were released everyone was going all "OMG! It's Real-time. That's real-time gameplay!"

So, obviously, I figured "Wow, neat." but stayed on the skeptical side. Did Sony state at the conference that this was real-time gameplay footage?

Did Sony state at the conference that this was real-time gameplay footage?

Sony (pretty deliberately, it seems) didn't say one way or the other, and let fans and journalists fil in the deliberately ambiguous blanks for them.

Sony (pretty deliberately, it seems) didn't say one way or the other, and let fans and journalists fil in the deliberately ambiguous blanks for them.

That was deliberate.

Actually, after the conference Sony claimed that it's real-time (says GameSpot rumor control).

Actually, after the conference Sony claimed that it's real-time (says GameSpot rumor control).

And there is an excerpt of a Gamespot video going around in which the guy from On the Spot asks about 5 times in a row if the Killzone presentation was in real time and the guy kept on saying "Why, yes, of course!"

And they had to tease all those fanbois (like me) with that Final Fantasy VII intro that was just a tech demo.

Sony's got some balls... and they're going to get kicked hard.

Show me games and I'll give you a :tup:.

And they had to tease all those fanbois (like me) with that Final Fantasy VII intro that was just a tech demo.

Sony's got some balls... and they're going to get kicked hard.

Yeah, no shit. Look what happened to Nintendo after their Spaceworld Link vs Gannon demo... which very directly caused the retarded "celda" backlash

:frusty:

Yeah, no shit. Look what happened to Nintendo after their Spaceworld Link vs Gannon demo... which very directly caused the retarded "celda" backlash

:frusty:

Well, at least they weren't misleading people about the Gamecube's graphical output. :shifty:

ARGH Walter! When I saw your post and your edit to it, I knew it would disappear again later. Why do you keep deleting good posts?

come on seriously! how could anyone think that killzone 3 (???) was actual game footage? there was no visible interface and no believable interaction!